camo for clays

Pest control

My opinion is that camo should only be seen in a pigeon hide or on the foreshore. Not too fond of autos at clay grounds either due to the fact you cant see at a glance that they are empty, not like a broken ou or sbs.

Just mho and will be interested to see everyone elses views.

Fuzrat

Edited by fuzrat

Would it be exclusively for clays or mainly for rough/wildfowling etc?

By all rights I know it shouldn't matter, but we do have a few 'urban commandos' at one of my local clay shoots who turn up wearing the full realtree outfit with camo shotguns etc. and whether they know it or not, they do get the **** taken.

People generally know if you are there just occasionally keeping your eye in with your roughshooting/wildfowling gun or if you are a full time Tackleberry wannabe! <_<

Edited by alexm

By all rights I know it shouldn't matter, but we do have a few 'urban commandos' at one of my local clay shoots who turn up wearing the full realtree outfit with camo shotguns etc. and whether they know it or not, they do get the **** taken.

People generally know if you are there just occasionally keeping your eye in with your roughshooting/wildfowling gun or if you are a full time Tackleberry wannabe! :lol:

full time Tackleberry wannabe :lol::lol::lol: B) :good::lol: brilliant <_<

Edited by chrispti

I think that in most cases you would not have a problem. I shoot a grounds and I am a member of a private clay club and in all cases I have seen and shot with guys with semi's - and it would not matter a jot if it was cammo or pink for that matter.

BUT I am very aware that there are some out there who would not tolerate it - the same types that think 'birds only' shooters should be banned - may be you know who I am talking about!

D

BUT I am very aware that there are some out there who would not tolerate it - the same types that think 'birds only' shooters should be banned - may be you know who I am talking about!

LOL! <_<

p.s. I don't want anyone thinking I'm a gun bigot... I turned up to our game shoot's annual 'fun' clay shoot with my rough/wildfowling gun (Xtrema) to stir things up a bit :lol: and got ridiculed by the 'side by side brigade' (all in a lighthearted way of course! :lol:)

The funny thing was they were all queuing up for a go by the end of the day! :lol:

Edited by alexm

There's nothing wrong with semi autos at Sporting clay shoots, some of the best shots in the business now use them, and the colour is completely irrelevent, what really matters is that anybody using one is seen to be safe.

They are best kept in slips until it's your turn to shoot, then put straight back in the slip.

I'm not a great believer in those silly flag things that are supposed to show the gun is empty.

As for camo clothing, (as others have mentioned it), if you turn up at a major shoot wearing Camo you will not be allowed to shoot, as it contravenes the CPSA code of conduct on appropriate dress.

Quite rightly so, IMHO, (and I'm the biggest fan of Realtree at the right time & place), but it just doesn't look right at a serious clay shoot.

Cat.

I watched a couple of guys at Fennes using camo semis a few weeks back, and the smirks were soon wiped off the faces of the clay shooters. I'd far rather watch a bloke put in a stellar performance with a Realtree-d semi-auto, knowing that he was a keen pigeon shooter keeping his eye in. I've yet to see a Walt turn up in DPM at a clay ground though.

People generally know if you are there just occasionally keeping your eye in with your roughshooting/wildfowling gun or if you are a full time Tackleberry wannabe! <_<

Thats exactly what i was concerned about. Im totally new to the world of shotguns, and don't want to give the wrong impression.

This is generally accepted as the norm at my ground. And they always stay in a slip inside, and sometimes between stands.

It's the same at a few grounds I shoot too, but I do agree with Cat's comment about the flags. Personally speaking I appreciate someone who has meticulous muzzle awareness (and who takes the time to make sure people see it out of courtesy) more than someone who chucks a flag in in the blink of an eye. To be fair most semi auto shooters are aware they are under scrutiny and go by the book in this respect.

To use practical shotgun as an example (having recently gone through the safety course myself) the guns, to the casual observer, are quite 'ostentatious' yet handling practices are by the book and, quite frankly, there are a lot of s/s and o/u shooters out there that could learn from their example.

Edited by alexm

Thats exactly what i was concerned about. Im totally new to the world of shotguns, and don't want to give the wrong impression.

I don't want to scare you off buying what you want, at the end of the day what other people think should rank damn near bottom of the list!

However, you haven't really said what you want to use the gun for. My advice would be to select a gun best suited for your needs. The gun you are looking at might be a bargain, but if you are going to be predominantly shooting clays then a field orientated gun might not be your best bet for a miriad of reasons other than just the camo finish.

It wouldn't bother most people at my local ground, as long as you seem half-way normal <_<

Most blokes would just assume you're a game shooter keeping his eye in.

If however, you turn up in head-to-toe camo gear, sniper mesh veil and gillie suit, shouting "Gooks in the wire" you might raise the odd eyebrow :lol::lol::lol:

Dont think that semis are a problem, its down to how the gun is handled. Theres is nothing worse than someone pointing the thing in your direction when they sleeve it which happened to me recently. As Catamong already mentioned keep it sleeved and when you do put it away, keep it pointed down range or up in the air and I can't see you having a problem. What colour it is, is up to you in my opinion, as long as you safely enjoy your own shooting.

if people see you can handle the gun, or any gun for that matter safely then most wont be bothered that it is a semi or what colour it is. <_<

hmmm this is one of my pet hates. i use a semi auto and a pump for rough shooting (an o/u isnt robust enoughm and you cant fit a sling), i only shoot clays for practice or a bit of fun every so often. i find you get treated with suspicion by the "waist coat brigade" - our local term for the professional clay shooters at the local clay ranges. one of them asked me recently how many cartridges i was putting in the gun and if i knew i had to unload the gun when moving between posts; i asked him if he knew he had to pull the little sticky out thing (trigger) to make his gun go bang? that didnt go down well, but i out shot him anyway to make my point (even though he kept going on about coming 2nd at some claypigeon championships). and ill just point out i leave the pump half cocked (breach open) when not shooting, and my semi locks open (and stays in the sleeve) when not being used. :lol:

as long as its a shotgun and you only use 2 cartridges, it should be acceptable, but it isnt to some people. so....

if your only intending to shoot clays itd make your life easier if you had an an o/u.

i hate saying that, but alot of people have the impression in this sport that unless you use an o/u youre some sort of stupid thug. as i said, i mostly rough shoot, plus im a good enough shot to put most of those guys i run into in their places using my semi and pump, but thats just my opinion. :lol:

ps - i shouldve said this, others have already so ileft it out originally, but safety is most important <_<

Edited by babbyc1000

These semi v o/u threads usually end up with an "I can outshoot any clay shooter on the planet" posts - yawn.

Unfortunately it just doesn't hold up in the real world. Most game shooters don't do particularly well at clays and v.v. although the best shooting I've ever witnessed at a clay ground was a pigeon shooter keeping his eye in. He was awesome - beat all the top clay shots (there was a big regsitered shoot on that day). He was also incredibly modest. We told him he ought to enter competitions, he'd win hands down, but he replied that "he wouldn't want all that".

The main point is, that if you've got any balls at all, just do what you want. The suggestion that you must get an o/u to be "accepted" is pathetic. I regularly shoot clays with a pump - I have both a pump and an o/u. And I wear a skeet vest :D . I wouldn't take any snotnosed crepe from anybody. Use your camo semi and enjoy it and take no notice if the occasional stiff whinges about it :welcomeani:

Edited by Chard

I enjoyed reading this article http://www.chuckhawks.com/avoid_ou_shotguns.htm about O/U's

And for clay shooting the semi-auto is what I tend to use simply because I find it softer to shoot.

Anyone can be unsafe with any type of gun,it's up to you to prove that you are safety conscious and aware of what you are doing.

Edited by BlaserF3

My M2 stays in the gun slip until its my turn on the stand, I take the gun out keeping the barrels pointing to the floor at all times, I physically check that the breech bolt is open and there is nothing in the chamber ( I know that it is empty anyway ) as said earlier semi users are scrutinised more closely, I keep the barrels pointing to floor as I enter the stand then point it down range to load, simple and safe.

If I take my gun out the slip early for any reason, I make sure the barrels are pointing down, breech open and barrel rests on my boot.

I would rather see a semi barrel down than barrel up personally.

Edited by Andy W

If it's in a sleeve and the chap/chapess isn't playing silly *******, I don't think anything of it.

That said, someone at my local ground stood there, shot his clays and walked off, leaving the spent shells on the floor - that really did not impress me. I know that with a semi there isn't much that you can do, but at least pick them up afterwards, surely?