Review your year

Peter De La Mare

In 2008 I used roughly 4,250 cartridges. Mainly Eley First 7,5 28g plas and Gamebore Super Steel 7.5 24g plas and 250 Hull Sovereign FITASC 7s

I got my SGC in the Middle of January and I collected my new Browning GTS Elite from Essex Gun a week later. This gun was retuned to Browning twice for faults. A new action was fitted.

In March I finally learnt that the gun doesn't fit that well and bought a Ceasar Guerini Summit Sporter which did fit.

Competitions entered:-

British Open Sporting. Sountern Counties 63/100

British Open Sportrap. Sountern Counties 57/100

UK Grand Masters. Southdown 68/100

Iron-Man Northants 105/155

My best results for a sporting round was 64/70 at Hawleys.

Skeet, 24/25 at the Iron Man competition at Northants in December.

DTL, 23/25 Dartford

Double Rise, 23/30 Iron Man

ABT 12/25 Iron Man (this is hard)

Class wins at Hawleys, JJs, Shrove Hill

Grounds visited.

Shrove Hill

Hawleys

JJs

Dartford

Gatton Bottom

Southdown

Howletts Hall

Southern Counties

Fyfield

Copfurn

Fennes

Northants

I am unsure how many carts I have used this year as I rarely buy them by the thousand. However, given the mix of my 2400 registered targets shot and loads of non-reg, league shoots and game fairs etc, I would say I've probably used about 5000.

Still using the same Browning Ultra that I started with a couple of years ago, although I feel an upgrade is due in the new year. That will be nice...even if a little emotional. Cartridge-wise, started this year trying a few different types - Express Super Comp/Pro Comp, Gamebore Black Gold, Hull Sovereigns etc before finally sticking with Hull Pro Ones. I like them :lol:

Championships entered:

English Open (Hodnet) - 67

English Open A/R (Northampton) - 82

British Open Skeet (Doveridge) - 97

British Open Sporting (Southern Counties) - 62

Achievements:

English Open All-Round - C Class 1st - 82/100

British Open Skeet - B Class 3rd - 97/100

NOE Sporting Selection Shoot @ Coniston SG - B Class 1st - 78/100

NOE Sporting Selection Shoot @ North Wolds - B Class 3rd - 80/100

Yorkshire Sporting Champs - B Class 1st - 72/100

Yorkshire All Round Champs - Runner Up - 92/100

I've won my class at a couple of other registered shoots as well. Also won a couple and come runner up at a few charity shoots as well :drinks:

A most enjoyable season! I've gone up a class in all disciplines now though so next year will be tougher. I will probably go a bit easier on the clay shooting next year though, it does get a bit pricey :drool:

Edited by paulos

Well, it's far from distinguished but...

Gamebore White Gold Steel 24s - 3000

Gamebore Super Steel 24s - 500

Eley Realtree Pigeon 30s - 100 or so

All through the Beretta SP 5

Winchester .22LR subs - about 450 through a CZ 452 Style

Winchester .17 ballistic tips - about 250 through a CZ 452 Varmint

Generic .40 cal pistol - 100 (Sig pistol)

Generic .45 cal pistol - 50 (Kimber .45 ACP pistol)

Phesants - 5

Pigeons - very few

Rabbits - lots

No competitions entered and a dismal sporting average of about 55/100

Grounds shot:

High Harthay, Cambs.

Arizona Gun Range, Ft. Lauderdale (US)

Edited by Wookie

A memorable year for me as the lad had his cert come through in sept i think ,so far hes shot

Pigeon

crow

pheasant

magpie

rabbit

Woodcock

His best bag being 36 pigeons ,not bad as he's only 11

best two weeks this year we had over 500 birds in two weeks between us :drinks:

But the most memorable part of the year was watching him shoot at a pigeon on mon that was a good 50 yrds up thinking you haven't a chance lad only to see it drop :lol:

I've shot about 5000 this year. :drinks:

Haven't won much, because I'm a "birds only muppet" :lol:

They say that you can go ages with no noticeable improvement, then suddenly go up a notch. I'm hoping I've just gone up another notch, as I suddenly seem to average in the 80's on hardish courses, instead of 80-odd being an occasional high spot. I'm definitely much more consistent than I was a year ago, I think I've ironed out the moody ups and downs that used to plague my shooting. I used to get the hump about a bad shot and consequently have a succession of bad shots, sometimes even the rest of the round :blink:

Still got a concentration problem though, I can shoot 3 out of 4 pairs straight, then miss both or one of the last pair, because I'm already filing that stand away as straighted before I've finished :drool:

I bought 10,000 carts last March and still have some left.

I have won the GAYLORD hat on more occasions than I wish to remember.

I have sampled the bacon sarnies at most of the grounds in the south east of England.

We are all winners in our own right ! :hmm::hmm::hmm:

My SGC came through in June, and I've probably got through about 2000 or so cartridges since, mostly Eley First where felt wad is required, and Olympics everywhere else. If I could affird the extra I'd probably shoot Hull pinks, as I tried a box and got on quite well.

Initially I bought a BSA Regent, but once I tried a friend's B525 (and out shot him with it) I knew an upgrade was inevitable. I bought a B525 Sporter at the Midland, and my shooting improved immediately. At first I shot a bit of everything, Compact Sporting, Sporting, Skeet, and DTL, but in the last month or so I've stuck mainly to DTL, as most of the grounds near me have regular registered competitions and I can gauge my improvement. My best score is 24/25, and a 90/251 in very windy conditions at Llandegla last week. I visited Mid Wales for the first time on the 27th, and somehow managed to come away with a Grade 5 MK38 trap gun.......so no excuses......

Grounds visited - Llandegla (I live 5 minutes away), NWSS, Mid Wales, Oakenholt (sporting) and a local straw bale shoot once a month.

I've just started entering competitions, and in 2009 I would like to go up to B class, with the ambition of shooting DTL for my adopted county of Clwyd.

All the best for 2009

Patrick

I shoot about 5000 - 6000 cartridges a year, maybe more. I shoot at both Hornes grounds, Gatwick in Charlwood and occasionally Northall in the middle of the woods. I dont shoot competititons, I doubt they'd like my pump action guns, and anyway I'm a birds only muppet as has been mentioned before.

Oh, my certificate is due for renewal next year :hmm:

Peter - well done. You have come a long way in a short time. Whilst I still have a Browning XT and a Miroku MK38 Trap, I turned to the dark side and bought a Caesar Guerini Summit Trap this year. Suits me fine. Don't shoot competitions - haven't done for quite a few years. It has not helped my shooting. Years ago, the air turned blue when I missed or a bin got a kicking, but I didn't miss much. I did the rounds of Sporting re-entries and pool shoots around the North West. Won many times, loft full of trophies, won a fair bit of money, but my best days are gone.

The lads I shoot with don't enter competitions and that takes the competitive edge off for me.

April 15th Wednesday to Sunday 19th April at Hepworth Hall.

200 birds on one day, 100 in the morning and 100 in the afternoon after lunch.

Telephone entries on 01842 810121 or Essex Gun, 020 8224 4733

£72, non registered.

I always shoot the Essex Masters in the first squad out on the Sunday morning.

I've noticed that this year it clashes with the "ClayzRus Sporting Challenge Cup" which is being held on Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th April at West Midlands Shooting Ground, (probably the best Sporting ground in England).

There's an ad on page 74 of the current Pull! magazine, it's a 200 birder shot over 2 days and the entry fee is a very reasonable £68.

The organiser is none other than Grant Dorrall, who up until recently was the Events Manager for the CPSA, (it was his company Skoda that was up for sale on the website that upset so many).

I hope he gets a good entry, I think the fact that it has to be shot over 2 days and that overnight accommodation will be required for many will put a lot of people off though. ;)

Now, getting back to the subject of this thread, I've probably only shot about 5000 thousand cartridges during '08, I shoot competitions most weekends and I've no intention of boring readers by listing out my scores, there's only one win that really sticks in the mind out of the few that I've had and that's my 96 ex 100 at the Essex V Bucks Sporting Challenge at Drayton Parslow, (apologies to MC). :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Cat.

Just over 8000 carts shot last year, Mainly RC1 RC3 and 1000 RC4 and some Rio star team

1st year of entering competitons

Entered a couple of 100 OT and a couple of ABT, been finishing half way up the board, cant remember scores..

Shot the DSG mini international, 1st place ABT, 3rd place sporting (1st time sporting, and with a trap gun!), overall winner.

Grounds visited: Nothall Cpc, Mid wales shooting ground, and my two usual hang outs: Griffin Llloyd, and South wales 2000 .

Looking forward to doing a bit more sporting/compak next year as have just bought a sporter.

Got SGC at end of October and immediately bought Browning Ultra xs Prestige (after trying many). Only shoot clays and had a "mad" December - been through 3000 or so carts in 2 months. Best sporting 61/100 and 20 on Skeet (first time out). Vists to West Kent, Dartford and JJ's but no competitions - too early in the game for me.

Looking to or hope to improve in 2009