How did we get on today? 2009 edition.

Having a quick look at the card from yesterday, I seem to have issues with Position 2 high bird, Position 3 low bird, Position 4 low bird on the double and Position 5 low bird.

***.2 High House: There's a tendency to rush this shot and 'slash' through the target.

Try holding out further from the trap and keep your barrels below the line of the clay. By holding out further you'll be surprised how much time you have. Shoot about 6" in front of the clay and keep the gun moving. Try not to rush it.

***.3 Low House: One of the first birds where you have to give any discernable lead.

My guess is you're probably behind these? Just a case of practising until you get the correct sight picture in your mind. Then more practice!!

***.4 Low House on pair: Could be a few reasons why you miss this one.

I'm assuming you shoot High bird first? In which case bear in mind the low bird will be dropping by the time you come to shoot it. It won't need much lead but you'll need to shoot in front and below to kill it. You could also try shooting Low house first, see how you get on. Never a bad thing to have that option anyway.

***.5 Low House: Similar to High2 in that it's an easy bird to rush.

The same as High 2 try holding out further, and take your time. Minimum gun movement needed, just push up about 6"-12" in front of target, shoot and keep the gun moving.

Gun mount and stance are obviously the most important things, but i find you've got a lot more time on ESK targets than you might think, and simple adjustments to hold/pick-up/kill points can make a big difference.

Hope the above is of some help. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I've just seen Mung's post. I didn't realise you were from Suffolk, in which case forget all the above and see a doctor.

Six fingers are not conducive to good shooting, and webbed feet will ruin your stance!! :yes::D:lol:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is she coming on?

Not too bad, she's a natural, it's just trying to get her to do "stuff" when she and her nose are off on hunt mode.

Bizarrely, she is her best behaved when at the class and in the company of other dogs. It's like she knows she's in school.

Well, I predicted a winning score of 95, but nobody made it, but well done to Mark Winser for shooting a cracking 94. :yes:

And, many congrats to Cheryl for winning the Ladies with a good 86, you'll need to buy another cabinet soon for all that silverware. :D

I thought it was one of the best shoots I've shot for a long time, you could have shot the whole round with no more than 1/4 choke, but so many people fell out of bed, with some fancied names shooting very low scores, I would have put money on young Chris Childerhouse shooting a blinder, but apparently he finished down in the 70's. :rolleyes:

Young Chris Papworth won "A" class with an 85, beating his old man by 3 birds using his new Gamba, let's hope he repeats it when we all go to Belgium at the end of the month to shoot the Belgium Compact Sporting Championship, should be a great weekend..!! :lol:

Cat.

Took doggy to gun dog training and then shot Copfurn with Elvis, Raja Clavata and Al.

Was running late and forgot me gun. Used the others' guns on rotation (cheers all) and had a nice fun round; bit of messing and double barrelling.

Scores : Mung 63, Elvis 62/61, Alan 61 (long story involving a shoot off with Elvis which Elvis won) following by Raja on a 49.

just like to say thanks to Mungler and Elvis for a really enjoyable day, thanks for all the tips and help, you definately helped me achieve my highest score to date!

watch out chaps the newbie wont be so easy on you next time lol!!

Went to copfurn today, was my first solo outing since getting me ticket, lovely shoot and thanks to all those that pressed the buttons for me!

As for scores...we wont go there :rolleyes:

Hope me mates get their tickets soon, aint no fun shooting on your own.

Went to copfurn today, was my first solo outing since getting me ticket, lovely shoot and thanks to all those that pressed the buttons for me!

As for scores...we wont go there :good:

Hope me mates get their tickets soon, aint no fun shooting on your own.

Jaycey,

I shot at Copfurn too - Stick a note up on here or PM one of us next time you're going - I saw Bagsy, Mungler, Evil Elvis and Raja Clavata among others there yesterday, so there's usually someone to go around with.

Managed 52 ex 80 which i was quite happy with til i read the other scores!!

Well, just added the latest scores to my spreadsheet and it's proving a little difficult to extract any meaningful stats from them given the limited amount of data I have recorded so far (which means I need to get out and shoot more).

However, there are some significant misses on the sheet...

Position 1 low bird on the double. Out of seven rounds, I have only hit this twice with the first shot.

Position 4 high bird (single). Again, only two hits out of seven.

Position 5 low bird. Only three hits out of seven.

The rest of the misses are pretty much random and is probably just me being a tart on the day. Thanks for the advice though poontang. I think I might try changing the way I shoot some of the pairs and see if that works for me. If I manage to get another session of any length at the weekend, I'll try and compare gun down to gun up scores and see if there's a big difference.

Firstly don't mess about with shooting gun up and gun down, shoot how you would normally shoot. If that means you are a gun up tart then live with it. Secondly it is concentration you lack, nothing else.

Do you really enjoy skeet? I only say this as I think it is a discipline that I could shoot well if I enjoyed it whereas the truth is I find it more boring than watching paint dry and don't shoot it very often. When I do shoot it I can usually get 22's and 23's.

As you have hit each bird more than once out of the 7 rounds you obviously no where to shoot them. The low bird on station 1 is possibly one of the easiest birds on the round. I would say you are leaving it too long to make sure of it and then missing in front and over the top as it is slowing/dropping.

*** 4 high single, there is no excuse for missing this if you can hit it a part of the pair.

Again *** 5 low bird, you have hit nearly half of them so you know where and how to do it, it is only in your head (where 90% of shooting is)

just like to say thanks to Mungler and Elvis for a really enjoyable day, thanks for all the tips and help, you definately helped me achieve my highest score to date!

ehehehe Me and Mung deliberately missed some clays to make you look good.................................was nice to see you again old boy.

oh right, so the excuses of caterpillers dangling in your sightline,too windy,too sunny,blah! blah! were just to make me think that i had a chance of whipping your butt.........really enjoyed it mate, its good to have a giggle and bust a few at the same time.We should meet up again soon and maybe you and Mung could even let me beat you!!!

Jaycey,

I shot at Copfurn too - Stick a note up on here or PM one of us next time you're going - I saw Bagsy, Mungler, Evil Elvis and Raja Clavata among others there yesterday, so there's usually someone to go around with.

Cheers, will do :hmm:

I shot 27/30 at my tuesday night haunt last night, straighting 3 stands and missing 3 birds on the other. It was a strange sort of quartering teal, I shot the first OK and then missed the other 3.

Anyone in the colchester area is more than welcome to come and shoot, 6PM at Radcliffes shooting ground off the Mersea Road at Abberton every other tuesday. The next one is the 26th May (WHich is my other halfs birthday so I may have to miss it)

OK guys, if I don't let any of you win now and then I would start to find it boring :yes:

Besides if Longshanks needs extra coaching to beat me, then what can I say :good:

Roll on next weekend :hmm:

sorry to disappoint you old bean but i have to work this wkend so you might have to set your sights a bit lower and try and beat Raja and duncan :lol:

It did look a bit blowy yesterday :good:

Did you have a go on the skeet as well?

It was, but it's all good practise :yes:

Tried the skeet out - it's set a bit too quick for English Skeet IMO at the moment so we'll see if they adjust it or leave it as is. Still good fun though!

Went to Polowood today (private shoot near Lewis) with Jonnyoftheboy, mad cannon, Jinx and Toilette. Excellent day out. :good:

Hire the ground for yourself and a group of mates - 200 clays for £60 each or for a group of 6, shoot as much as you can for £80 a head.

Have yourself a mini comp or just practice all day - highly recommended

Shot a 62x100 today at my local shoot, mainly because of a good recovery on the back 5. The first couple of stands were rubbish, with a 6 and a 2x10 for no good reason other than I was shooting like a numpty.

But, good news on a couple of stands with my kryptonite bits (chondels and loopers). Manged to somehow connect with a lot more of them than usual by not thinking and just getting on them very quickly. A couple of 9s and 8s and I managed to claw back to a half decent score. I still missed out on a straight at one stand by missing the last bird. Gutted.

Had a go on the new Skeet and Automatic Ball trap at Worsley today :yes:

Did OK on the Ball Trap, but the Skeet was a bit of a shock to the system (I've never shot Skeet before)

I think it's one of those things that I'll get much better at very quickly, but for a first 25 it was a disaster area :lol: . Wasn't keeping score, thank Christ, but it wasn't good. I think I prefer as much distance as possible between me and the clay :hmm::hmm::hmm::rolleyes: