help

nicklowe

Don't treat a pigeon in the same way as you would a clay.

1. Pigeon do not normally follow a straight, true path in the sky.

2. Maintained lead on a pigeon does not normally work. Think of Bum, Belly, Beak and then shoot.( That is, come from behind the bird and allow lead before shooting.)

3. Pigeon are easier to shoot if you are able to refrain from shooting until the appropriate moment. Wait for them to commit to the pattern. This way, They will give more time for you to shoot.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

2. Maintained lead on a pigeon does not normally work. Think of Bum, Belly, Beak and then shoot.( That is, come from behind the bird and allow lead before shooting.)

It isn't all about lead, if you are swinging the gun at the same speed as the pigeon is going then you don't need to give that much lead. It is also important that you keep on swinging as your squeezing the trigger and don't stop.

Ollie,

My remark about maintained lead is a bit misleading, for which I apologise.

The point I was trying to put forward, and this has happened to me, is that there is every chance that as you pull with the bird using maintained lead, the bird will jink, dive or even climb at the time of shooting, thus resulting in a miss.

As I shoot a hell of a lot of clays and, blowing my own trumpet, am very good at it, it took me a while to alter my style of shooting to hit pigeons. I realised that my style of shooting maintained lead did not work as effectively as the pull through from behind style. I feel that I am slowly getting there though. :lol:

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with hill billy, the more you think about the more you are likely to miss. The times you knocked birds down, could you remember what you did.... NO! Otherwise you wouldnt be asking. The same for everyone, if we all knew what exactly to do we would never miss.

Cos you did not think about it, maintained lead is ok for clay shooting because you know the rough speed and flight line, with a real target instinct shooting is best.

If you can "snap shoot" you will find alot more birds in the back.

Just spot the bird bring ya gun up and shoot, you'll be surprised what comes down!

Jon

Edited by Jon-Boy

Its just a learning Curve ;)

Like all things, 'practice makes perfect' as variable and diverse as pigeons shooting certainly is..... over time you will formulate your own style that works for you. and recognise the different senarios from previous forays.

Again theres no easy shortcuts. Apply the basic principles, and once you've executed a good shot, allow the brain to absorbe what its just seen, try and learn from the hits.....and indeed the misses, read and gauge the environment and your surroundings; 'try' to stay calm...(not always that easy I know) and in time your bags will start to increase.

Paul in North Lincs

If you do it a lot it comes naturally as they say. I find if i'm not thinking about it i'm dropping birds. After a bad spell a few years back when I couldn't hit a barn door at 20 yards I learnt the wisdom of increasing the lead as personally when I miss it is usually behind. Also I'm pointing the gun rather than swinging it.

Another key thing is to think about the distance you are away from the target and adjust your lead accordingly. I hope you've got the hang of it by now, practice makes peerfect.

It is also worth having a few sporting clay sessions.

Whilst the clays may not accurately duplicate the varied flights of a pigeon, they do give you "follow through" practise and confidence.

However, I always have problems with the battue clay (fast dropping), but I kill pigeons dropping into the decoys quite well.

Just one of life's little mysteries. ;)

Dont get too hung up on it nick, its like golf the more you practice the worse you get ;):lol::lol::lol:

Ive been using a shotty for over 30 years and some days I could shoot the pants off Wyatt Erp, some days I would be better trying to bayonent the bloody things.

If you dont get too good at it it makes it all the more enjoyable when you actually hit one. :)

FM.

I don't know about you lot but i don't think about shooting the bird i just kind of do it naturally because i find if i think about it and calculate leed then i will miss but if i just raise the gun then do what feel right then it will normally come down

:lol: totaly agree, i find i end up concentrating that hard on the shot, by the time i've decided to pull the trigger the little ******* are either flying away or have seen me.