B & Q Bathrooms

webber

or he can have a quote off me, im only round the corner, over the bridge.........p.m me if youd like some prices/details..........

b&q instaleers will be guys who've been on a six week course and have the nerve to call them selves a plumber !!! for sure mate.... if they were any good, they would'nt be acting as a middleman and messin around with b&q.....

Edited by myzeneye

ROFLMAO

Saw a client today regarding a claim against B&Q on a kitchen and a bathroom. Also I have had plenty of professional dealings with B&Q over the years.

Summary - products are fine but deliveries are an issue and the biggest problem is the quality of fitting which is subbed out to local contractors. They will get there in the end but if you get the monkey fitting team then you are screwed and will lose the rest of your life writing and phoning their customer services.

WORKED FOR THEM FOR OVER 15 YEARS AS A GENERAL MANAGER SO CAN SPEAK WITH A FAIR BIT OF KNOWLEDGE.

B&Q DONT HAVE THERE OWN FITTERS ITS CONTRACTED OUT TO THERE( GIS )FITTERS.

FITTING STANDARDS CAN VARY FROM OK TO DOG ROUGH.

AS FOR QUAILTY THERE ONE AND ONLY SUPPLIER IS PJH BATHROOMS (HEAD OFFICE BASED IN BOLTON) AND ALL I WILL SAY IS BUY AT YOUR PERIL!!!!!!!!

Edited by The original sad lad

I used to work for them too. Quality of workmanship will vary greatly as mentioned. If I was buying a bathroom suite, i'd do it myself. Failing that, get some local word of mouth recommendations for local plumbers and get a couple of quotes.

like pidge watch's very own myzeneye :yes:

Or he could ask your mate Mcf to fit it for him. :lol::lol::P

back of the que son shine...... :lol::P :P :D

Edited by myzeneye

if he's strapped for cash why doen't he fit it himself, its really pretty simple.

:yes:

I didn't want to risk fitting our kitchen, mainly because of the time factor, but I fitted our bathroom years ago and probably did a better job than most (not all of course) bathroom fitters would have done.

Ditto the bath advise, don't go too thin, and fit isolating valves to everything, they make it a doddle if you have change washers etc in the future.

the building trade may be quiet mate, but any "good" plumber ,(like myself :lol: ), is still fully booked with work for a lonnng while, no advertisements ,not looking for it,etc etc....the phone just never stops mate, ever. if your good in this trade, you'll always be busy.

any one who can come out straight away should be treated with suspicion... :lol:

diy'ing is fine mate, and good advice like fitting iso valve's to everything is all good too........

but i get many many many a call rom folk "having a go " who've (easily) mistaken 3/4" copper for 22mm and banged a push fit fitting on and wonder why it leaks...or 1/2" for 15mm.... or come across lead pipe work and cant wipe a joint,dont know what a lead lock is etc....lead soil pipes which have been putty/painted etc ..what aproach to take here....

etc etc etc.....

not alot to go wrong, but a world of **** you could land in if it does.....

be warned.

Edited by myzeneye

Dont let the plumbers frighten you it aint rocket science.Firstly you can see the stuff if it leaks switch of the supply and do it again.Theres no real trouble you can get into theres products to do the job just use them.

Dont forget to reinstate the supplimetntry earth bonding.

Too many trades especialy electricians make it sound all mystical and clever its really not.

Lee

right........ i see.............

firstly, no ones trying to "frighten " anyone...just point out things which crop up and do cause problems...... and allthough there may well be products on the market to "do the job" most of them are rubbish and aimed exactly at the diyer, and last no time if they work/seal at all that is.......

and whilst, as you point out, it aint rocket science....i work with plenty of blokes who can't wipe a lead joint should they need to, seal a dodgy cast soil connection etc etc etc.....

beleive me, there are plenty of people who are not very good at plumbing, alot of them claim to be plumbers too, so it cat be childs play...

if however you have the naivety to believe the job will flow as smoothly as your reader digest book will tell you, well then there you go.....

i, who do this kind of work for a living (and am pretty damn good at what i do for that matter..)have looked at many a job and foolishly told the missus id be home for tea.... only to have to ***** about with a cheap nasty bath suit part, usually slotted waste's or pop up's etc...

its the nature of the job mate, and what puts many folk off. yes, you can isolate a leak and drain it down quickly, if you've fitted iso's everywhere, but a microscopic leak under a bath from a 3/4 " pipe with a 22m fitting on which appears to be fine, will cause a right mess over time... i see it all the time .... or it will blow off a during the night when the mains pressure rises as the demand decreases etc....

i also see, poorly installed waste pipes,traps etc, silicone caked over everything, cheap nasty flexible connections, broken/cracked/wobbly basins and pans where screws have been over tightened or put in cock-eyed ( this is easy to do for an amateur) , real dodgy pan connections ( they not all plastic soil pipes like in the readers digest mate!), baths put in with a "fall,fer drainage..." ... i could go on..... and on.....

these aren't disasters or anything, but a poorly installed bathroom can not only look bad, it can cause alot of damage over years.....

supplementary earth bonding is the tip of the ice berg my friend.

so yes, it aint rocket science, but me, i would never let any one go in unprepared or not forewarned... that is why i had spoke to webber and offered to talk his son through step by step if he sent me photo's etc to ensure he didnt come unstuck......... this is not the type of thing a plumber who is trying to "frighten " anyone into getting some work would do,surley.... ive helped many lads on here with dead boilers, leaks and bathrooms in the past..... so do us a favour, lets try not to imply all plumbers and spark's are cowboys who think their trade is a dark art which should be avoided by laymen on pain of death.

and for the record, im a gas/heating engineer, and believe me, that is a dark art. :good:

I work for as a manager for a local builder and out of all the trades the plumbers are a nightmare. nothing seams to go easy either some one drills a pipe or only half the gear has come or someone has concreted over the internal stack. It's not usually their fault, somebody has forgot or dont care about those that follow them. It's the one trade I'd find so frustrating I'm glad I'm not one lol

bet you hate plastic pipe as well myzene :good:

have to say I've nearly plumbed all my house myself, including the central heating rads, 3 bathrooms kitchen etc and its been a doddle. But it has all been new fittings and all the drains are new as well (oh fitted them as well) and we've not got a leak in the place. The new plastic pipe and fittings makes it all so simple, of course I'll expect the negative views on it from the traditionalists.

On the plumbers route my brothers year old house has had 3 leaks so far as well as an incorrectly plumbed power shower that could have chucked scalding water out with no safety cut with the way it had been plumbed in. At least if you do it yourself if you have the slightest bit of aptitude you know you've done it right or at least where you've bodged it

Plastic pipe is all well and good until a mouse chews it or a pipe hasn't been pushed in fully.

I did my own bathrooms in end feed copper and I know with asurity that the pipe work will out live me. Plumbing is like most trades, many practical people can do the basic aspects however unless you do it day in day out, you will farr be slower and undoubted make and have to ree do mistakes along the way.

Plastic pipe is all well and good until a mouse chews it or a pipe hasn't been pushed in fully.

I did my own bathrooms in end feed copper and I know with asurity that the pipe work will out live me. Plumbing is like most trades, many practical people can do the basic aspects however unless you do it day in day out, you will farr be slower and undoubted make and have to ree do mistakes along the way.

good luck to a mouse its all in the floor sceed so if the little critter gets to it good luck! as for pushing it in fully, my brothers was done by a plumber and he has failed to push 3 bits in so far, I've had none, but they were all pressurised before I'd finished and they were covered up, on a side issue, they won't freeze and split, they don't need wrapping before laying in screed there are lots of perks which to me outweigh the traditional view