Call To Arms :) SERIOUS rabbit problem

ShaggyRS6

Been out of action for a month due to my Bells Palsy, however, this week, the last 3 days in particular I have seen a vast improvement. So I can look through a scope.

Good job too. The Farm Manager txt'd me to say they had a serious problem at a permission 5 mins away from me. I will be there at 08:30 tomorrow with the rifle and Shotty and me and LB will Ferret it next week.

I thought i would pay it a quick visit. OMG I have never seen damage on this scale for a long time. I took some pictures. The first one shows rabbits droppings. Like a carpet, down ever single lane, as far as the eye can see. I guess this plot is about 200 Acres maybe more.

The other shots are tree damage. They have just been pruned and there is not a pruned branch with bark on it, they are also climbing as high as 6 foot in the trees.

omg1.jpg

omg2.jpg

omg3.jpg

Kent is known for the fact that it is one of the few British counties pretty much devoid of deer, especially east Kent.

Those are rabbits, obviously utilising the chicken wire tree guards to gain access to the bark. A genuine case of over population.

Deer are everywere countries infested with them its just spotting them especially little munjacs. I know several stalking spots in Kent so there is Deer.

Me thinks those are muntjac deer droppings.

Take a look at this image here and you'll see how close they resemble rabbit plop

Cheers for the link about the poo which for a bizzare subject was a learning curve.Munjac are like a plague round here and while im forever seeing them when shooting,dog walking,working etc etc-i thought their poop would be much larger.

We shoot about 25 mins down the road from you in West Kent and have a load of fallow on the permission (which too is orchards and mixed land usage). Our only problem is the landowner wont have them shot. Shame really, he is convinced that he only has one or two and likes the look of bambi in his fields.

He also wont allow anything larger than .223 on his land, although the chap on the other side of the fence is doing his best to shoot all the deer with a .308....Ah well! :rolleyes:

For those who have not seen Bark eating tree climbing Rabbits.

Observe............ http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=845f316e24

http://www.sevenstanes.gov.uk/website/FCPi...PrintFriendly=y

In another Orchard i shoot all the Brambly trees are like that. Will get some shots myself/

Edited by ShaggyRS6

The poo looks too big for rabbit and I didn't think a rabbit would be that fused to bother with eating bark when there is loads of grass in front of the trees.

I would say that damage is from deer, similar looking poo to rabbits but bigger. A rabbit wouldn't climb a tree that high either, I am not even sure if they will climb at all.

What grass, you could play pool on that ground and as for climbing they will do it to get food or escape floods, I have seen them 4 ft up a tree before.