This don't happen too often..

Toombsy

The other day I was stood tight to a hawthorn hedge, waiting for the evening pigeon roost flight.

I could hear the usual small flock of long-tailed ti ts working their way along the hedge, leapfrogging each other, checking out what's for dinner underneath all the twigs and branches.

Eventually they reached the tree I was stood under. They got closer and closer. I stood as still as I could - never seen them that close before.

One worked its way along a branch and hopped straight onto the gun barrel, checking if there's any insects under the rib!

It made its way right down to the lower sight bead, had a peck at it, looked straight at me, cocked its head and fluttered off. Fantastic!

Anyone else had any wierd and wonderful sightings while out in the field?

I don`t use a hide everytime I shoot woodpigeon and one time I was sat next to the fence and felt something shove me under my leg which was flat on the ground. It really made me jump and on closer inspection it seems I was sitting next to a moles tunnel with my legs over it and I must have flattened it a bit :)

I`ve also watched a mole moving about above ground.

Had robins sit on the fishing rod and take maggots out of the bait box lid.

Also when out wildfowling a couple of years ago I was sat in the lee of a bare ribbed wreck, and had a Sparrow Hawk come and land on the rib beside me. If I had tried to shoot it I wouldnt have been able to as it was closer to my head than the length of the barrel, and the dog was sat beside me as well. When the dog turn to look at the hawk it stared back for a couple of seconds before flying off.

Also had a brent goose land on a gravel spit with 12 foot of me and the dog when fowling as well. Think that one really was taking the p1$$

Trev

me and lanber out for a mooch a robin stoke with us for two fields, the fields are separated by a cattle bridge.

ended up stood under a holly bush and oak tree, and the robin was still there, (must of been hungry)

stood on a flight line, lanber turned to me and said ,better watch this or robin will be on the menu. the little ****** was still there.

used to have lots of thing happen when i was stalking with the air rifle

Trodden on by a red hind in a Norfolk wood, whilst lying in wait for rabbits? Buzzard land on the branch next to my head whilst sitting cammed-up in a highseat? Both scared the life out of me.

There is a beautiful, very friendly little owl that lives in a tree trunk against which I have a lean-to highseat. It sits there watching me for long periods, close enough to touch.

I forgot this one from last Autumn...

Knelt down in the hide next to a low hedgerow, heard a flutter of wings, got a little thump on my thigh and it hit the inside of the hide. Looked down and there was a woodcock lying a bit confused right next to my knee.

Not sure if it's true as I never witnessed it myself

but

I heard that once Markio bought a round of teas at Braintree :) :)

Complete folk lore and fiction TP,

He always says he will buy the teas on here to big himself up but in reality he never does.

i have a friendly robin down the angler club part of the river near me (2 mins walk waith all the gear) i always have a spare bankstick stabbed in the ground next to me and he comes and sits on that, its great its not even as if he is scared, i end up putting a few maggots on the seat box side tray and he sits and munches them very content, had a funny incident in the scouts, it was my groups turn on the archery range (only 3 of us at a time) and we were all firing and i was hitting as accurate as anything the best of the whole pack, well, the guy on the far left (harry) was as bent as heck, well on his first shot just as he let go of the string this woodie flew across the range (not strange as it was an open range in the woods, had walls about 7ft high no roof and then ontop of the wall there was another 3ft of net and they always had birds fly through it mid session) harry lets go of the string arrow flies forward the woodie flies through WHACK hits it but it didnt penetrate just hit the ****** on the head and carried on going till it hit the wall and dropped (we had really weak bows lol), the instructor called a halt ran over to this woodie picked it up broke its neck plucked it and cooked it on a BBQ it was brilliant we had a choice to make kebabs out of chicken lamb OR PIGEON lol we were like 9 harry was crying his eyes out couldnt believe he had killed a pigeon lol, we never saw him again lol, and i was out watching my mums friends husband decoying and he shot a pigeon and this sparrow hawk flew down picked it up and flew off, malcolm was fuming he started running across the field yelling at this sparrow hawk, and when it lost grip and he got hold of the pigeon it wasnt gonna stop and it looked like it was going to go for him lol...

Edited by mark_mjs93