Far from ideal situation...

Toombsy

Here's one for you...!

I shoot in the edge of the Fens, and as anyone whose been there knows, it 99 percent sky and flat as a witches.

There's one rape field on the farm that is being mullered. Problem is it doesn't have a single tree or bush edging it. All it's got is ploughed fields and tracks around it.

I don't want to ask the farmer to drop off any bales to create a permanent hide as my permission's only a month old - don't want to take the mickey as he's already helped me solve one problem already.

Obviously I'm going to have to create some sort of hide having some sort of a solid background and plant it around the perimeter.

Have any of you done this sort of thing? Is it effective? Have you any tips that might help me in any way?

I would appreciate any help as I might be out there giving your advice a try this weekend. Thanks a lot.

Build your hide in the usual position, taking account of flight-lines, wind etc.

Use 5 poles, making a square with 4 of them and form a triangle on one side with the other( pointing in the direction you want to shoot)

Hang your net (you may need 2) as high as possible around three sides of the square and slope it down to a height you can shoot over(3ftish).

If you use two, double the one which will be your back-drop and sit still!

Otherwise, use the vehicle idea. Pigeons tend to ignore cars etc as they are used to farm machinery. I once used a silage chopper when shooting over clover. Worked well!

Many people set up even in the middle of a field so it is possible to set up a hide on its own without a backdrop.

If you can get to a shop, why not buy a cheap green tarpaulin to use as a backdrop, it will only cost a few £'s, and if you have a second net put it on as a second layer to the tarpaulin to break up the colour a bit.

These are great to have in your kit. I have a 5 x 5 foot one, it takes up hardly any space in the kit bag and when you are against a backdrop and it's bucketing it down, you can create yourself a small shelter as well.

the fields i shoot in the fens are like you say just open patches what i normaly do is sit in one of the drains wearing full cammo. just remember to sit very still. not i deal but effective providing the drains isn't too deep obviously you've got to be able to stand up and see over the top. used this method for ducks aswell i quite often have birds of all sorts landing right next to me. i was once befriended by a pair of ingrets ( hope i spelt that correctly). :good:

what i have done when there is no cover is took 4 pallets out in to middle of field stood them up made a square hide chucked net round them worked great then just leave pallets there so they get used to them next time u go chuck the net back round the pallets job done works a treat and its a bit more cover on them windy days :good:

Almost forgot, if you are making a hide and put a roof on it to give abit more cover remember to find a long branch to push the middle out abit to create a run off, a friend of mine went shooting with me once and it was raining he setup and left a dip in his tarpauline, i watched with glee as it filled with water then fell off my stool laughing when several gallons of water dropped on his head.

Thanks Cranfield. My search didn't pick that one up.

Never thought about using my old fishing brolly. I have a Brotel. It's green and has flat sides. Similar to a small Bivvy that carp anglers use - that will do the trick, especially with hide netting draped over it.

Sorted, I reckon :good:

Thank you, all.

I have the same problem on one of the fields of rape i shoot over. The only cover is a grass beetle bank. I built a low hide and covered it with dead grass from the beetle bank and its worked fairly well. The shooting is a little tricky as I like to stand when I shoot , but the field has produced 30-40 bird bags.

Make sure you wear the right camo for the background anduse a face mask as with a low hide the birds will pick you up quickly .