Where do you put your rotary

steelheadjohn

Take it back to the shop andet your money back - then buy 'The Pigeon Shooter' book by John Batley if you havent got it already and read it from cover to cover then a week or so later again if your like me and dont take it all in first time! This book will guide and help you much much more if you want to shoot pigeon successfully!

I always place the rotary at the rear of the decoy layout, as it is supposed to assimilate birds landing with the decoys.

Pigeons usually land into the wind, at the rear of the feeding group.

John Batley's book (The Pigeon Shooter) is worth a read, as is "Pigeon Shooting" by Archie Coats and "Shooting Woodpigeon" by A E B Johnson.

I've tried it different in places and cannot see much difference. Others will dissagree but that is my experience. Generally the birds land in my pattern regardless of the rotary position. Some silly ones will land and go under the rotary! but not generally. My thinking is the rotary gets the distant attention and the pattern of deeks does the close up work.

I tend to have it near the front and closer to the hedge/hide thinking that if they see any movement around the hide the rotary will take most of their attention (perhaps a lame thought!).

best results I have had (on the days that a magnet works) is close in to the hide well to the front of the pattern, find this brings them in and if they are going to spook they are within range first,often find that if the magnet is to the rear of the pattern and or to close to the deeks the birds may veer off to early , other times I have had very good results is with two magnets and NO decoys just the magnets placed about 30 meters apart 15 feet to the upwind side of my hide so that the birds will if attracted fly through the gap, IE right in my line of fire.

cheers KW

Tried every possible position, coating the arms with fluff to stop any reflection, adjusted the speed everything then as soon as it was taken in the birds commited in.

Ive no doubt they will work but for the weight of the thing and the ammount of time out of the hide spent faffing around, for me its just not worth the hassle.

Not having a whinge Im happy to carry on with various bouncers and angels which for me work better than the rotary.

Regards PB

A magnet is just another weapon in the pigeon shooters kit and should be used at the appropriate time, this may vary from region to region depending on location and time of year.

I for one have noticed that there are times that the magnet is awesome and there are periods when it does the absolute opposite. I have learnt that putting the Decoys out first then waiting to see if the birds commit to said pattern is best. In my general experience i feel this time of year they are not that good as the birds are in large flocks and if they do commit they will do so on mass. this will inevitably result in the shooter taking a shoot and the whole flock moving to the next county, this happen with a magnet or decoys, or the both specially over the rape.

In the case of the questioned asked i have always put the magnet on the windward side of the pattern. and the purpose of the magnet is to simulate movement and attraction to your location and not landing or birds taking off.

Do not suffer the illusion that any of the decoying equipment will work every time. look at the conditions start with a few decoys and change things until it works or you get birds landing in the pattern. over time you will know through trial and error what is best.

In the case of the questioned asked i have always put the magnet on the windward side of the pattern. and the purpose of the magnet is to simulate movement and attraction to your location and not landing or birds taking off.

I don't agree that the rotary attracts birds only because it moves, if that was the case why do plastic sacks on sticks scare pigeons, they move ?

It is supposed to simulate real birds over the decoys, either landing, or moving up the queue.

Getting back to the positioning question, people seem to place it in different points in their layout and if it works for them, thats fine.

Clearly its good advice to try moving it, if it doesn't seem to be working.

Alternatively, if it works where you put it, leave it there.

hi i find the best place to put a pigeon magnet is..

i put 15 or so decoys in a circle out 30 yards to my right and the same to my left... put the magnet bang in the midle at about 25 yards out. never put dead pigeons with your plastic decoys. just wait till you have 15 dead birds and replace all the plastic decoys with real birds...

dont forget to put real birds on you magnet as soon as you can.. :good:

foam winged decoys are good but you could never beat real birds in the field

good luck

cheers david :yes:

Its rare I do not use a magnet over rape or drillings. I usually use it inside ( the hide side ) of the decoy paten. When used on the outside of the paten I find pigeons often sheer off at extreme range. When inside I think the pigeons pick up the movement from a fair way off and then when they get closer turn their attention to the decoys. I will also use the magnet to control where the pigeons want to land, often placing it slightly up wind of the hide to bring the birds across my front. On one occasion when I had trouble with birds landing short of the decoy paten I moved the magnet to within 3 feet of the hide and it brought the pigeons in nicely , almost too close at times.

I have on occasion used it behind me on the next door field to attract the attention of pigeons passing the other side of a hedge and unable to see the decoys. The magnet brings them in closer and they then see the decoys and hopefully come on in. I do find that birds are less happy to land in the decoys if you have a magnet out.

There are rare occasions when pigeons shy off the magnet , then switch it off and use it as a bouncer.

Edited by anser2

Normally birds want to land where the rotary is and I place my layout some distance from the hide and always place the rotary where I expect the birds to be shot (which is at the rear of the decoys).

I usually shoot 4-5 days a week out of the game season (when I am not fishing) and this "newbie" shot 348 pigeons last week in 4 days and has shot 105 so far this week over 2 days.

Just think how many I would have shot with the rotary in the right place. :blink:

Normally birds want to land where the rotary is and I place my layout some distance from the hide and always place the rotary where I expect the birds to be shot (which is at the rear of the decoys).

I usually shoot 4-5 days a week out of the game season (when I am not fishing) and this "newbie" shot 348 pigeons last week in 4 days and has shot 105 so far this week over 2 days.

Just think how many I would have shot with the rotary in the right place. :good:

Yes, that's good shooting for a newbie Cranners, but I'm afraid I can't understand your comments, so let's be clear about one thing..??

I think we both agree that birds tend to want to land directly behind, (and downwind) of the rotary.

As they approach the rotary, they will typically jinx away once they get within 5 or 10 yards of the rotary, as they realise they've been suckered.

So, how far from your hide do you position your rotary..??

Cat.

Re dead birds with decoys. Something that I noticed last week. I added to my U shaped shell decoy pattern with dead birds. I put the two dead birds closest to me and the birds that committed to the pattern committed to the back of the dead birds which were closer to me and easier to shoot (less far away). Seemed to work well with the mix. Have you had different results mixing dead with decoys?

Yes, that's good shooting for a newbie Cranners, but I'm afraid I can't understand your comments, so let's be clear about one thing..??

I think we both agree that birds tend to want to land directly behind, (and downwind) of the rotary.

As they approach the rotary, they will typically jinx away once they get within 5 or 10 yards of the rotary, as they realise they've been suckered.

So, how far from your hide do you position your rotary..??

Cat.

I shoot mostly in wide open spaces, with very few hedgerows, trees, woods etc., to use as background.

Assuming a reasonable wind blowing left to right across the face of the hide, I would set my decoys out to the left of the hide with the furthest some 40 paces away, the rotary would be at the rear of the layout approx 30-35 paces away.

The incoming birds would cross the front of the hide to try to land with the rotary, thats when they get shot (at).

If there is no, or little wind, then I split my decoys into two groups either side of the hide about 25 paces out and position the rotary very slightly left or right of the front of the hide, in the space between the decoys.

Thats my normal "out in the open" set up, I just change the position depending on the wind direction and the hide location.

• 3 weeks later...

When I do put my magnet out, I put it at the head of the pattern (U, V or L). Its supposed to imitate birds moving at the head of the flock. Putting it between two groups of deeks is giving the impression of birds moving between the groups.

I find when the magnet is out the birds committing come to it only to veer as Catamong said 5-10 yards away from it when they realise they have been duped. If you aren't shooting at them before then then you will struggle. You don't want them on the end of the barrels.

Whilst never having had a "red letter" day, I don't do badly. It must be made clear to newbies though that the magnet is not the be all and end all of pigeon shooting, fieldcraft is first and foremost and siting hide and deeks in the right place under a flightline, a well built hide, no movement until the absolute last minute and the ability to hit them are all key elements. Oh,yeah an understanding wife/girlfriend is also a requirement to be able to spend time out just getting the buildup of fieldcraft.

Its rare I do not use a magnet over rape or drillings. I usually use it inside ( the hide side ) of the decoy paten. When used on the outside of the paten I find pigeons often sheer off at extreme range. When inside I think the pigeons pick up the movement from a fair way off and then when they get closer turn their attention to the decoys. I will also use the magnet to control where the pigeons want to land, often placing it slightly up wind of the hide to bring the birds across my front. On one occasion when I had trouble with birds landing short of the decoy paten I moved the magnet to within 3 feet of the hide and it brought the pigeons in nicely , almost too close at times.

I have on occasion used it behind me on the next door field to attract the attention of pigeons passing the other side of a hedge and unable to see the decoys. The magnet brings them in closer and they then see the decoys and hopefully come on in. I do find that birds are less happy to land in the decoys if you have a magnet out.

There are rare occasions when pigeons shy off the magnet , then switch it off and use it as a bouncer.

I find exactly the same. If I place it to the rear the birds will jink off as the approach. I place mine approx 10m in front of the pattern head so that it gives them confidence to fly into the head of the pattern but without getting them too close to get spooked. I had birds streaming in on Sunday using it in front and landing! :D

I strongly believe they are drawn to it but often don't want ot get too close to it or they will spook unless young birds.

My friend was using the magnet in the autumn and I had bouncers and a nice pattern out, all the birds flew straight over mine and dived into his pattern. When I went over to inspect it was the most regimented, symetrical pattern I have ever seen, every bird was exactly the same angle into the wind :good: yet the magnet did the 'pulling'. :lol:

So in the right situation - they work very well.

Si