Following on from HD's topic..

Hunter

Yesterday I drove to Hampshire Fire&Rescue (HQ) to undergo the intensive physical tests.

Nackered but happy, I finally crawled out of the final dark cage, with vision obstructed by a BA mask. It was good to have completed the ladder climb/ladder lock, timed equipment assembly, timed equipment carry (walking with eights, running, dragging) then pulling a 40+kg dummy around a course in under 40seconds. In total I ran over 400m and walked 200+ in full firefighter PPE and wellie boots (not fun to run fast in). Also assembled the jaws of life hydraulic system (timed) and performed a ladder lift test.

One of the toughest days I have had in a long time.

Many thanks to the PT staff and examiners at Hampshire Fire&Rescue.

Thats the end of testing, its taken 9 months to go through the application, theory, interveiws, and physical stages. Tomoro im off out with the local brigade of whom will be getting a couple of rounds on me!

Also thanks to my local brigade for all the support so far. Couldnt have done it without them.

DSCN3123.jpg

Edited by Hunter

Thank you guys for the nice replies :lol:

Il try get some photos u[ wen training starts. Could be interesting, starts with one day induction then 2 weeks basic training, before going on to BA (breathing apparatus) as HD mentioned.

There was more involved in the test, including seeing some good guys fail the test, and a woman break down. Then suddenly you realise how tough it is and some people wont go home with good news.

But its not an adventure park, its the fire service, and you need the strength in emergancy situations. I scraped through, and definetly need to work big time on fitness before my training. Il be looking at weight work combined with a 3km run every morning before work. :D :yp:

.......and if you had, you could have been able to retire in 6 years time :yp: However we make our beds and lie in them.

Best wishes Hunter, don`t worry about the physical part of the job. You do need a bit of aerobic ability however most jobs are short heavy work and tend to be anaerobic, we call it "breathing out of your ****" . So if you try and keep a few miles under your belt for general fitness but work on upper body strength you will be OK.

Well done Hunter. Firemen are a group of people I have a lot of respect for, not everyone could stick that kind of job and it takes someone who cares a lot for what they do (and other people also) to do it. Retiring early is cool, but you have to work hard early on to get those benefits!

I think about that when I see people having a gripe because HDs given them a grilling (all too often). They often get a little personal about it and are rude but I feel a bloke who will walk into a burning building, motorway pile up or any other **** situation to drag others out on a daily basis deserves some serious respect. I certainly couldn't do it.

Good luck with the rest of your training. It sounds like you're taking it really seriously so I'm sure you'll get through anything they can throw at you. The world needs more people like you, so keep up the good work ???

Well done. It goes without saying that all the ladies love firemen! Perk of the job ???

When I worked in the defence industry, every fire alarm required the attendance of the local fire brigade (because of the live ammunition on site).

My office staff (predominately "ladies of a certain age") would be standing outside, salivating in expectation of the arrival of the fit young fire crews.

We often speculated that the "girls" were setting off the alarms deliberately!

Thanks for all the kind replies, means a lot :good:

Just the CRB checks and medical to finish now before training starts.

Not long now..

Did a drill night RTC body recovery practice session which was good. Amused the firefighters by performing CPR or a drag dummy after he was recovered from under the landrover.

But its safe to say im not looking forward to the real deal for the first time. Will take some time to get my head around it all :P

Well done Hunter, something you've worked hard for and achieved :good:

Get on the Concept 2 Rower, it's excellent for fitness, as well as for slowly building upper body strength.

Have you tried the protein shakes from the likes of Holland and Barratt, brilliant for sticking on just a little bit of muscle without going overboard.

As said before, a good effort, keep at it :P

P.

I knew you would do it hun.

Well done i understand what a stuggle it must have been.

I am really proud of you.

Now if you could get all of your watch in the next piccy.

For Mrs Sweepy

I was thinking of them all line up with helmets in their hands.

Then i would make a little donation to the firefrighters charity.

I was going to ask if i could have a go in their big red machine. But i thought that might be pushing it abit.

xxxxSuzy

WELL DONE :good:

Yesterday I drove to Hampshire Fire&Rescue (HQ) to undergo the intensive physical tests.

Nackered but happy, I finally crawled out of the final dark cage, with vision obstructed by a BA mask. It was good to have completed the ladder climb/ladder lock, timed equipment assembly, timed equipment carry (walking with eights, running, dragging) then pulling a 40+kg dummy around a course in under 40seconds. In total I ran over 400m and walked 200+ in full firefighter PPE and wellie boots (not fun to run fast in). Also assembled the jaws of life hydraulic system (timed) and performed a ladder lift test.

One of the toughest days I have had in a long time.

Many thanks to the PT staff and examiners at Hampshire Fire&Rescue.

Thats the end of testing, its taken 9 months to go through the application, theory, interveiws, and physical stages. Tomoro im off out with the local brigade of whom will be getting a couple of rounds on me!

Also thanks to my local brigade for all the support so far. Couldnt have done it without them.

DSCN3123.jpg

Done well mate, Hampshire is hard to get into, I didnt get any further than the application. Might have another go one day. All the best :angry:

Im going for a local station to me, just did the tests there at their training center/HQ.

Hampshire has some very good kit, and some good officers too, would work there any day if I had the chance.

Mrs Sweepy, will have a PM in a couple of minutes :good: