.17 WHY SO MANY FOR SALE?

Malinois

Hi,

I have been watching this forum for a few weeks now and noticed that there seems to be quite a few .17 rfiles coming up for sale.

This begs the question of, if the people selling them saw the need for them in the first place, what are they replacing their .17's with?

Did they find limitations with the calibre?

Is the .222 or 22 swift or hornet better all round?

Thanks

Ian

mine has gone to make way for a .223 but .17 is a brill rabbit gun just not enough wallop for the amount of foxs on my ground and this is where i want to be heading with my shooting,my force says that .17hmr is cleared for foxes but why limit myself and be undergunned and with ammo going up and up makes more sense to run a .22 and .223

I've got a .22 Hornet now. The HMR is perfect for Bunnies but if you start to take Foxes with it the power is just too limited. If I can get my Hornet to shoot I'll probably sell my HMR. The Hornet does Rabbits to the same range and Fox out to 200 yards. Reloads cost just a smudge less than HMR ammo and are more reliable.

I think people get one expecting a wonder gun rather than a small varmint gun. For rabbits and rooks and close foxes they do take some beating especially if you lamp from a vehicle where it helps to take rabbits at range.

However they aren't a centrefire and are relatively noisy so I think people move onward and upward, fairly sure one will always be in my cabinet as I shoot too many rabbits to do it with a centrefire

Another reason is .17 ammo is going up in price quite a bit at the moment and i can`t reload .17 But... .223 is reloadable and cheap which i can knock out realy quick.

.17 ammo currently £18 per 100 but usually about £25 per 100

I put mine up for sale, but then removed the advert when I was offered some additional rabbit shooting. For my own needs, the .17 HMR is relatively superfluous. For me, the combination of .22LR, .22-250 and a shotgun do me well for high-volume rabbit, fox and hare control. The .17 HMR is great for picking off rabbits on summer evenings, but it would be the first gun I chose to ditch. I would replace it with a .22 Hornet, or a semi-auto .22 WMR, both better foxing rounds.

I would imagine that the recession has led a lot of Shots to assess what guns they actually need.

To be honest i think a lot buy them thinking i can take fox with it , then realise there is always one that sits at 200 yrds and swap to center fire :yes: would i get rid of my hmr :hmm: great calibre even in the wind as long as you stick to 80 yrds .

Would lose the 22 r/f before the hmr .

Think funds make the decision for some people cannot afford both at the same time

All in their place, .22 with subsonics for lamping rabbits, .22 centerfire for foxes. .17 hmr can on paper do both but falls short in practice. Best suited for long range daytime vermin control, especialy those damn magpies that seem to know the range of an air rifle or .22

ive just ordered a new scope for my hmr and cant ever see myself selling the gun, i only use it for rabbits and after 30 yrs using a .22rf i think the hmr cal is a real gem , yes the bullets are quite expensive but so are shotgun cartridges and how many of us would give up using our shotguns......went out for a meal sat evening cost £20 a head.....rather of bought 100 hmr rounds , although they probably wouldn't taste as good

I put mine up for sale, but then removed the advert when I was offered some additional rabbit shooting. For my own needs, the .17 HMR is relatively superfluous. For me, the combination of .22LR, .22-250 and a shotgun do me well for high-volume rabbit, fox and hare control. The .17 HMR is great for picking off rabbits on summer evenings, but it would be the first gun I chose to ditch. I would replace it with a .22 Hornet, or a semi-auto .22 WMR, both better foxing rounds.

I would imagine that the recession has led a lot of Shots to assess what guns they actually need.

That's pretty much the combo i've settled on : .22lr , .22-250 and 12g shotgun. I got rid of the .17hmr mainly because of the way it's affected by crosswinds. Anything over 80 yards in a stiff wind, and it was all over the place. The .22lr would hold zero better in the same circumstances.

I liked the hmr, but it didn't have a place after I got the .22 CF.

I just picked one up the other day :yes: Havent managed to get out and zero it yet though ??? lol!

Hopefully get out this week and get it done :oops: I have used one before as my friend has one and its a brilliant round :hmm: Can bowl over rabbits easily :oops:

Some people think you can get it and have it as a foxing rifle, its just not powerful enough IMO, I have on my ticket 17 HMR for vermin and fox and ASLONG as I could get the fox within about 50 yards and got a clear shot I wouldn't have trouble taking a shot on it (Headshot) Although I'll have to see what I shoot it like first, need to be sure you can make shots like that before doing them on live animals :good:

I have however just put in for a 243 centerfire as a foxing rifle and will add deer onto my FAC at a later date when more experienced :good:

If you want a foxing rifle then I dont think the 17 will cut it! If you want a good rabbit/vermin rifle that you could possibly use to take the odd fox whilst rabbiting the 17 will do the job :good:

I just picked one up the other day :yes: Havent managed to get out and zero it yet though :lol: lol!

Hopefully get out this week and get it done :oops: I have used one before as my friend has one and its a brilliant round :hmm: Can bowl over rabbits easily :oops:

Some people think you can get it and have it as a foxing rifle, its just not powerful enough IMO, I have on my ticket 17 HMR for vermin and fox and ASLONG as I could get the fox within about 50 yards and got a clear shot I wouldn't have trouble taking a shot on it (Headshot) Although I'll have to see what I shoot it like first, need to be sure you can make shots like that before doing them on live animals :good:

I have however just put in for a 243 centerfire as a foxing rifle and will add deer onto my FAC at a later date when more experienced :good:

If you want a foxing rifle then I dont think the 17 will cut it! If you want a good rabbit/vermin rifle that you could possibly use to take the odd fox whilst rabbiting the 17 will do the job :good:

Dont know about 50yds i have had a HMR for about 3yrs and have taken fox out to 110yds HEAD SHOT only and have never shot one in the engine room....

And i have shot loads of fox's with it over the 3yrs and can honestly say i have never had a runner...

Ask KDUBYA he has shot them with it as well out to 100yds..he shot one laid out in the field one night and thought he had missed just under 100yds it never even moved..

Wish i could say the same with ones ive shot with my 223 hit dead centre as well and still ran some of them quite a way..

Would i sell my HMR no i dont think so even though a have a .22 hornet as well. :hmm:???

thats the point hawkeye, the fact they are so accurate within reason gives you the ability to be very confident in your shooting. The only fox I have had go anywhere were ones shot with the 20 grain hp with boiler room shots, the little round went straight through the chest both lungs and exited through the shoulder blade. Fox went about 15 yards probably similar to your average shot on deer, you know that you can put the round pretty much where you want and 100 yards it will be very accurate.

Mine will be staying cost isn't an issue its comparable to using a shotgun and certainly the kill ratio is much better. I think people getting rid of them don't have the right kind of shooting for one. We lamp a fair number of rabbits from a vehicle and its an ideal tool, most shots 70-120 yards and being from a vehicle you can take shots you probably wouldn't with a .22lr. They aren't a centrefire but they win hands down in the rimfire stakes.

Here is a good reason, you can load 22 centrefire cheaper than the 17 ammo now costs. These are reduced loads with equivalent velocities, better ballistics and a bit more energy if that isnt a problem, Details available upon request.

would you really want to be shooting 100 plus centrefire rounds in an evening though? how do they compare noise wise and damage wise?

Noise is similar and damage is less as the bullets are relatively hardy at the lower velocities.

My mate shot a rabbit with his 243, just a little bit of fluff left :cry1: lol! a 17 hmr is accurate enough to take a headshot and then you get to keep the meat for eating :hmm:

• 5 weeks later...

The most used rifle in my cabinet is my 17 hmr. i have had 5 now, 2 purchased to tart up and sell on to mates and 2 stayed for a while and i kept the 16" varmint 1 went to a mate on here and he got it fixed up for his needs.

fired well over 8.000 rounds of ammo in just over 4 years, and if i fired that amount in my 243 i would be looking at a new rifle,

i love it to bits, i have taken ( and have a witness ) 6 charlies well out past 140 yards with head shots and have a running total of 19 charlies with my hmr's in 4 years, and i will admit i have never had a runner, this does not however make it a foxing calibre for just anyone, you have to know your limits etc.

Anyway i can't reload the .243 for what i pay for him, as i don't shoot it anywhere as much as the 17hmr.

I have a 22lr but its just about redundant with the only now and again trip out.

as mentioned people fall for the hype, then the cost hits them, then they find a reason to get shot of it, but some who have had it ( if they tell the truth that is ) do miss it just a tad.

mine however much the ammo goes up will still be first out of the cabinet.

bob.

i forgot to mention the furthest furry target taken and dropped in one shot was about 265 yards stone cold using my 17hmr set up in my signature.

Edited by scotland rifles

I'm getting one for the simple reason that the permission I've got isn't big enough for a c/f but I could do with a little more umph :good:

I must admit the cost is a worry but I've still got a .22lr which I'll do my best not to neglect and I've heard a rumour that .17 hmr price is set to drop now that it's doing well and is widely accepted.

In all, I'm excited about getting a new toy! A .223 would be great but I don't need it as I'm not allowed foxes (the farmer likes them) so I guess the hmr's got everything I need.