.22lr rifles

Browning

I've just picked up some more land that, for noise reasons, requires that I use a moderated .22lr on the rabbit population.

Having never owned a .22lr semi-auto I just wondered what kind of accuracy I could expect out to approx 70 yards?

How does this compare with modern bolt action rifles at the same distance?

I haven't shot .22lr for a long time, usually leaving the rabbiting to a couple of the beaters that help me out, but the new

landowner has asked that I do this new bit personally. (Isn't it nice to feel wanted!)

Any help from experienced users is much appreciated.

Edited by Browning

I have a Ruger 10/22 and it is great fun.

It is as accurate as you need to be out to 70 yards without any issues. I have shot rabbits out to 100 yards with it by knowing the correct holdover and a mil dot scope.

I have a Ruger 10/22 and it is great fun.

It is as accurate as you need to be out to 70 yards without any issues. I have shot rabbits out to 100 yards with it by knowing the correct holdover and a mil dot scope.

I love my Ruger but does not come out with me so often these days as i find it difficult to leave the 17 hmr at home. But the 22 lr is so quiet a great addition to anyones cabinet.

I have a Sako Finnfire and 10/22 (short barrel) while the 10/22 is undoubtedly great fun and even better for my gunshops ammo sales figures, accuracywise its not a patch on the Sako.

With the std barrel the 10/22 is not in the same league as a Sako, Anschutz or even CZ, but can be made to very accurate by pimping it....of which teh possibilties are endless.

There is always a huge debate about teh merits of both types of .22lr and I'm not going there, but these are my opinions FWIW.

It really depends on what you class as accuracy.

My Ruger with standard barrel will achieve 1" groups at probably 80 yards all day long. Which is well within a headshot on a rabbit at sensible ranges.

Whereas you will acheive 1" at 100 yards with a bolt action in perfect conditions. You need to be realistic about it and are you shooting lots of rabbits or looking to compete in the olympics.

Any rabbit within .22 range can be shot with a semi auto.

But with a bit more noise as the bolt flys back and to :hmm: that's the bit that gets on my nerves :good:

for about £5 you get a plastic coated bolt buffer for the 10/22 which reduces noise down to hardly anything - it did on mine anyway :good:

id go for the 10/22, i once managed a 1" group at 100m with mine, rabbiting range for me is uaualy about 60m so theres not a big difference between a semi and a bolt action for accuracy at that range; imo the ability to fire so quick more than makes up for any accuracy problems, i once dropped 3 crows that were about to take off from a field quicker than it would have taken to cycle a bolt action for one shot!! :lol:

but its personal choice :good:

Autos are great for fun but if it was my good name and reputation on the line it would have to be a bolt action.

However, if you want a project for the winter evenings buy yourself a 10.22 to fettle with and a bolt action to use : it's what I did

I have to agree with the first line, if it were me I,d go for a cz 452 bolt anyday over a semi auto.

I owned a semi .22 Anschutz 525, from new It would not give reliable groups, it frustrated me so much I passed it on. Since then I use a cz and it is super accurate, I shoot maybe more than most, lamping several nights a week and it has never missed a beat.

Recently I did have a yearning for another semi, a 10/22, so I tried several(4) at our club using a bipod on a 50m range, went off the idea rapidly as none of them could reliably better a 10round 4" group ( some may poo poo this, but I tried AND I can shoot :good: ) unable therefore to perform anywhere as good as the bolt action with which using a bipod I can achieve 10rounds in 1/2" allday.

As said later in the thread as a fun gun, but imo not as a tool to do a job efficiently.

Rgds D2D

Personally speaking I cant see the advantage offered by a semi for shooting in the feild. If it jams it will be time spent fiddling ! and its been very rare that iv seen the requirement for a second shot rapidly so the the reliabilty factor would be a big one for me !

I got rid of my .22 because I didn't like the calibre. I had a 10/22 that was tuned by SYSS. It shot well for a semi, but not as well as a bolt gun. I'd happily shoot it to 70 yards on bunnies, it was accurate enough for that.

If I was to buy another .22lr I would get a bolt gun. My mate shoots a CZ and it's nice. There's little advantage to an auto and as stated above they do jam. A jam at night is a right sod to sort out. They are also more noisy even with the plastic bolt stop (although it does help). I didn't like the safety aspect of another round being chambered without me cycling the gun either, but that's just me.

I have to agree with the first line, if it were me I,d go for a cz 452 bolt anyday over a semi auto.

I owned a semi .22 Anschutz 525, from new It would not give reliable groups, it frustrated me so much I passed it on. Since then I use a cz and it is super accurate, I shoot maybe more than most, lamping several nights a week and it has never missed a beat.

Recently I did have a yearning for another semi, a 10/22, so I tried several(4) at our club using a bipod on a 50m range, went off the idea rapidly as none of them could reliably better a 10round 4" group ( some may poo poo this, but I tried AND I can shoot :lol: ) unable therefore to perform anywhere as good as the bolt action with which using a bipod I can achieve 10rounds in 1/2" allday.

As said later in the thread as a fun gun, but imo not as a tool to do a job efficiently.

Rgds D2D

Thats terrible grouping! I use a Remington 597 semi auto .22lr when i use remington or winchester sub sonic rounds i can consistantly group 3/4'' at 50 m :lol:

The answer is that it all depends on the accuracy and reliability that you want.

I've had probably a dozen rimmies in my time, and that includes various makes.

I've had two Ruger semi's and sold both in disgust as their reliability was not up to scratch. And oh yes, before the Ruger fans pile in, the last one had a Volquartsen barrel, modded trigger etc., etc. I got fed up with cleaning the mags, and still the damn things jammed eventually. One thing is for sure - a jam only occurs when you don't want it to, and when you are lamping at night.....

An Annie semi was more reliable, and fitted with a match barrel accuracy was good - but the trigger was long and spongy.

I had two CZ semi's, and reliability was OK but the triggers were far too heavy.

In the accuracy stakes you need to group 0.5" if you can at 50 yards, as this makes it an easy head shot at a rabbit.

I do love the fiddle factor associated with semi's (hence why I have had several), but at the end of the day any decent bolt action will out-shoot a semi in the accuracy stakes.....

Don