which .22lr HV round?

Im expecting my .22 this week, i havnt applied fora mod yet as i havnt got the cash, so ill be firing HVs until i get a mod, then will switch to subsonics,

was looking in the gun shop, and saw CCI stingers and Yellow Jackets, from what my mates dad has said i ought to stay away from the yellow jackets and just go for the stingers,

what are your guys opinions on this?.

any help is appreciated.

Regards,

DF

No comment on the stingers apart from they make lots of noise that appeals to some people. :good:

It costs no more to apply for the mod at the same time as the rifle(s) if the ticket is still in ask them to add it or it'll cost you another £26.

EDIT: just noticed you are from Ireland... :hmm:

Edited by Dave-G

No comment on the stingers apart from they make lots of noise that appeals to some people. :good:

It costs no more to apply for the mod at the same time as the rifle(s) if the ticket is still in ask them to add it or it'll cost you another £26.

EDIT: just noticed you are from Ireland... :hmm:

yeah way easier to apply for mod after you get fac here! :blink: i dont think theres an extra cost here but they dont like mods at all!

i only use yellow jackets tbh; you do get the odd flyer (one or two per 30 round mag) but most of the groups are decent enough. main reason i use them is my gun likes them - i put 200 through it last boxing day and got 1 jam, then someone gave me 100 rounds of winchester or something and it kept jamming every 6 or 7 rounds! :D

and before i get jumped on like before for saying i use yellow jackets, when i picked them i tested about 15 different brands of ammo (subbies, standard and other hv ammo too) and rated them for accuracy and no of jams per mag - the yellow jackets were the best, no jams and one of the best groups, so dont have a go about yellow jackets just cos my gun likes them!!!! :lol::good:

If your going to use subsonics, why use HV in the first place DF ?

Be a lot easier just shooting the Subs, you'll just have to refine your zero when you get your Moderator,

i wont be strictly using HVs, i plan to zero at 75/80meters with HVs, then fire a group at the previous range with subs, and see where it hits with a sub, i have a mil dot scope so im going to try and figure out set zero points for both HV and sub ammo.

if this sounds complicated and could be made simpler please tell me :good: as this will be my first .22 and im kindof unsure about which rounds to use, i want the HVs for larger animals such as fox when im out (.22 is legal for fox over here) and the subs for rabbits, id prefer to have the harder hitting stinger with a headshot to down a fox sub 80yds than to risk it witha sub, then again im not doubting the subs capabilities at all, ive seen foxes shot with subs at 75 yds and not twitching in the slightest!.

all the help is much appreciated,

DF

pick up a couple boxes of 50 and try them all. Start with a 50 box of plain solid subs. Don't worry about what brand because chances are they aren't going to be the most accurate as they are the first box through the gun. After the first box, then start shooting for keeps. A 50-box is cheap and you can shoot through one pretty quickly (5 targets of 10 shots each). That will give you a pretty good average group size that is statistically meaningful. Once you find the one your gun likes, go back and buy your limit of that lot.

I found that for my gun, federal golds (standard velocity) were the best, though stingers were a close second and I liked the extra oomph they gave. When I had the gun cut down it changed preferences and now likes remmy subs and CCI green tags. Both are 1/2 MOA or better. I ran through everything I could get my hands on in the states including federal, winchester, remmy, CCI, and various others. I haven't tried Eley yet, nor RWS. Both are supposed to be good, but considering what I'm getting now I'm happy.

Thanks,

Rick

pick up a couple boxes of 50 and try them all. Start with a 50 box of plain solid subs. Don't worry about what brand because chances are they aren't going to be the most accurate as they are the first box through the gun. After the first box, then start shooting for keeps. A 50-box is cheap and you can shoot through one pretty quickly (5 targets of 10 shots each). That will give you a pretty good average group size that is statistically meaningful. Once you find the one your gun likes, go back and buy your limit of that lot.

I found that for my gun, federal golds (standard velocity) were the best, though stingers were a close second and I liked the extra oomph they gave. When I had the gun cut down it changed preferences and now likes remmy subs and CCI green tags. Both are 1/2 MOA or better. I ran through everything I could get my hands on in the states including federal, winchester, remmy, CCI, and various others. I haven't tried Eley yet, nor RWS. Both are supposed to be good, but considering what I'm getting now I'm happy.

Thanks,

Rick

many thanks for the input mate, i think im only allowed keep 100rnds of ammo so ill just get 4 boxes of 25 and see how she likes it!

CCI Stingers and Velocitors - steer clear of Remington stuff its all over the place.

Stingers dont like some chambers - they certainly dont like my Finnfire.

As for trying to take a charlie with .22lr. unless your less than 50m away and can guarantee a fatal head shot -dont even think about it. Its ungentlemanly to wound a fox- kill it or leave it alone.

I would hope most on here would agree that .22lr does not carry enough energy to successfully guarantee a one shot drop with a fox, unless you are very close. (just seen your location as Ireland, so if you're happy with fox culling with a rimmy ingore what I said above - it applies more here! :rolleyes:)

Edited by The Burpster

many thanks for the input mate, i think im only allowed keep 100rnds of ammo so ill just get 4 boxes of 25 and see how she likes it!

100? That's a tiny little allotment for a rimfire. I think I started with buy 1000, hold 1250 on a first grant.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a box of 25. I've never seen a 25 box, just 50's and up (except for CCI shotshell cartridges which are boxes of 10). Best find a mate with a 22.

Thanks,

Rick

100? That's a tiny little allotment for a rimfire. I think I started with buy 1000, hold 1250 on a first grant.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a box of 25. I've never seen a 25 box, just 50's and up (except for CCI shotshell cartridges which are boxes of 10). Best find a mate with a 22.

Thanks,

Rick

jeez 100 is tiny, mines 1000 and when i first got a licence it was 500!! ive only ever seen boxes of 50, and now theyre starting to do away with most of those for 100's instead (i dont care i buy 500 - 1000 at a time :rolleyes:)

CCI Stingers and Velocitors - steer clear of Remington stuff its all over the place.

Stingers dont like some chambers - they certainly dont like my Finnfire.

As for trying to take a charlie with .22lr. unless your less than 50m away and can guarantee a fatal head shot -dont even think about it. Its ungentlemanly to wound a fox- kill it or leave it alone.

I would hope most on here would agree that .22lr does not carry enough energy to successfully guarantee a one shot drop with a fox, unless you are very close. (just seen your location as Ireland, so if you're happy with fox culling with a rimmy ingore what I said above - it applies more here! :good:)

in general myself and my mates all prefer to take as many humane shots as possible, and they use the .223s and 6.5x55s for fox, but the very frequent ocacions where we are only out rabbits and a fox presents itself we would be hard pushed not to take it.

and over here we cant specify how many rounds we want to carry :yes:

Edited by dogfox

Barbarians.....? I'm not sure I implied that... :yp:

Anyhoo coming from mixed background myself I know where you're coming from.....

(BTW on the QT - ie dont tell everyone - If you try CCI subs and zero at 50 you'll find that CCI velocitors will group VERY predictably at 100 using the same Zero point...... :good: )

Barbarians.....? I'm not sure I implied that... :good:

Anyhoo coming from mixed background myself I know where you're coming from.....

(BTW on the QT - ie dont tell everyone - If you try CCI subs and zero at 50 you'll find that CCI velocitors will group VERY predictably at 100 using the same Zero point...... :good: )

i know you didnt imply barbarians :yes: but i was just saying :yes:,

thanks for the tip on the ammo, ill try that as soon as i here back, had a freindly call from the FAO today just to say that he hasnt heard anything back yet...which is a good thing

You're welcome sir..... a lot will depend on the chamber in your new rifle.... sadly you need to do a bit opf experimentation to find a range of rounds it will like....

I find CCI very reliable.... My Finnfire hates chambering them, but they come out the pointy end pretty well (if you know what I mean!).