Carrying Dead Rabbits.

Warlock

I have been granted permission to hunt with a rifle on 1200 hectares of land, some i can drive around and get close with my 4 x 4 however there is one group of fields that i cannot drive a 4 x 4 in due to crop damage and lanes are designed for a tractor gauge not 4 x 4 gauge. This being the case anyone got any tips on carrying large quantities of rabbits.

If you have loads, hock them and then load them onto a stick over your shoulder or carried between two of you

I have been shooting a long time :yes: but still don't know how to hock a rabbit :good: I know its putting one leg through the other but where do you make the cut :hmm:

Please tell or my life will be incomplete. :yes:

On the lower part of the back legs there is a natural indent which feels thin. Insert your knife through here and make a slit, then take the other foot and push through the hole you have just made. If you have another rabbit do the same but put one of the legs of the new rabbit, between the legs of the first rabbit, then continue as described previously. This way you now have 2 rabbits joined and you can hang one either side of a stick. Hope this helps. I think I have made it sound more complicated than it is. Best of luck

I have been granted permission to hunt with a rifle on 1200 hectares of land, some i can drive around and get close with my 4 x 4 however there is one group of fields that i cannot drive a 4 x 4 in due to crop damage and lanes are designed for a tractor gauge not 4 x 4 gauge. This being the case anyone got any tips on carrying large quantities of rabbits.

Carry as described, evenly balanced on a pole/thumbstick, if you,ve had a good session lol.

Dont forget to piddle them before you work on them or it can run down your back, just hold the rabbit in your hand on its back and run your thumb down its belly to expell the wee.

Rgds and happy hunting D2D.

if you do cut to far and the leg slips out then just put a cut across the achilles tendon of the other leg. this stops it slipping.

All i do so i dont have to carry and shoot is to hang the bunny from a tree or fence and then collect on the way back.

get a loop of rope so it hangs over your shoulder and then to your hip. put the loop though the hock and hook over the top of legs. now just thread each rabbit down the rope. loop the rope over your shoulder like a shoulder bag.

better still, take a lacky with you :good:

• 3 weeks later...

i use a big kite. take a length of twine, and wrap this around the front teeth, and then attatch to the kite. on a good breeze, you can float them about 50 meters without fear of the fox getting them :oops:

i have a shooting jacket with a large pouch in the back usually feel that up or ive got a cartridge belt from cyprus which has clips with sharp edges and u weave it through the rabits leg and it hangs down carrys around 15 i also use it on pigeons