releasing foxes

Glynn

Hi

does anyone know if there are any laws about where you release trapped foxes

i own a small poulty farm 22acres with my parents where we also keep rare breed sheep and pigs.

over the last 2 months twice i have seen a 2 groups of adult foxes one 3 and one 4 just sitting around one of our fields

looking a bit confused each time 2 foxes were delt with by myself but it did not seem right as they did not run or

seem to know what wa happening when speaking to one of my friends he suggested that maybe they were urban foxes that had been released there so i was just wondering if there was any regulations about this and if so i guess releasing them next to a poultry farm is not the best of ideas.

cheers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't know legality of it, other than thought foxes were classed as vermin and releasing vermin is illegal i think.

We have spells on our farm of too many foxes in the garden. We shot 22 foxes in one month, all in the garden a couple of years back. It is somewhat frustrating for us as sheep farmers trying to keep on top of the job, only to get a load of illegal immigrants dumped on our doorstep. so i know what you mean when you say bad idea next to poultry farm. If anyone has any advice on the subject be most interested to see it.

it can't be illegal, i saw the RSPCA on tv a while back releasing foxes back into the wild.

as far as i'm aware its only illegal to release non native species such as grey squirels ect.

Surely if the rspca does it, it must be legal <_<

Every organisation has it's place and foxes etc is not it.

Don't mind sorting the problem out but it is a pain in the butt as my dogs go nuts for a fox in the garden and have a tendency to wake up an already over worked person at what can only be described as an extremely unsociable hour.

theres a keeper up the road from where i shoot,shoots up to 30 foxes in one field in a night regulary when a certain white luton van is seen going down the lane,some of those foxes have scaring and signs of quite expensive surgery on them.nice to see money being well spent <_<:good::good:

I heard from a reliable source that there is a £1000 reward for photographic / filmed evidence of the relocation of urban foxes by pest controllers into the countryside :blink:

SS

have you seen wildlife rescue on animal planet .that idiot is always taking them of somewhere at night and letting them go :good::lol::lol:

I heard from a reliable source that there is a £1000 reward for photographic / filmed evidence of the relocation of urban foxes by pest controllers into the countryside

Wish l had my camera on me then a couple of weeks back, walked right past a white (undoubtably RSPCA) van (on private land) when a bloke was sat inside on the phone. Oh and l watched him through the bino's release at least 2 foxes out of cat cage things....

Needless to say 2 more foxes were shot the other night, both were lamped and were walked to (i'd say 75 yards) ....

We had this discussion on here quite a bit, ask Baldrick, same down his way as l recall - illegal or not, releasing them onto land which they have no permission to do so should be illegal, but that doesn't stop them. I recently got .308 signed of one one of the bits of land i shoot as they seem to increase in numbers despite us knocking hell out of them.

Was using the 10 bore at one point (got too expensive) - so now using MOD (RG) ammo in the .308 or if l can be bothered HV's in the .22rf

T

Tommo's right, we get a lot of foxes released here. My shooting buddy is a veterinary surgeon, who inspects every fox we shoot. He confirms that releasing is a standard activity for the RSPCA, and many vets' practices. I've watched releases myself, and shot more than enough foxes bearing clear signs of surgical intervention to know that plenty of vet practices and animal welfare groups are doing it.

I do enjoy undoing the good work of the RSPCA.

does this mean your exile is over.

welcome back.

now tell us about the 243.please.

what would you like to know mark .she is a remi 7 with a 17. 1/2 inch barrel T8 mod and now got a S & B scope on her and loves the 100gr throu the 1-10 twist very good grouping at 100 yrds .well pleased .

Hi Noel, it sounds like you have installed some software that is automating the process of taking pics off your camera and deleting from the card. Is this something that came with the camera? There must be an easy answer, as things don't just vanish.

I know this is off topic, so if you want to take this to a different section or even drop me a line feel free. I also have some software knocking around that can recover lost photos from a card.

Noel, Picassa is not bad software, so that is a good suggestion, though I have heard of a few PCs struggling with the latest version. I am still on Picassa 2, but actually that is mostly because I forgot all about it, and these days use Lightroom which is a pretty serious package.

However the first thing you need to do in un-install whatever is kicking in as soon as you plug in the camera/card. Can you tell us what this software is called, and where it came from? Either that or simply open that software with no camera/card attached and see if you can change settings so it stops doing this.

If it is on a laptop I don't mind if you want to drop by and show me. I am really busy else I would visit when out and about. If it can wait a few weeks I'll be a little less pressured.

Releasing foxes is probably illegal but the RSPCA certainly do it, however they are a law unto themselves and as such untouchable. There are a number of pest control companies who offer "humane" trapping of urban foxes so that the little housewives who pay them about £60+ per fox can know that the fox is going to have a nice long life with all its friends in the country.

Actually, the same arguement applies to squirrels and its the same pest control companies that are re-releasing them as well.

I would actually like to know what the law is on this because I have often been told its illegal but I don't know which law is being broken.