best .22 semi auto

mickeylove

Im after a cheap .22 semi for a dedicated night vision scoped rabbit rifle. I was going to go for a 10/22 but after looking on guntrader I noticed the walther g22 were roughly the same price and thought the extra mag capacity might come in useful. Does any one have any experience of them as the only review I could find was an american one which said the best grouping it could manage was 1 1/2 " @ 50 yrds.(!)

Personally i'd steer well clear of the Walther. There are two of them at my club and they are forever having feeding problems. Its supposed to be down to the magazines and Walther are 'working on it' but they've been doing that since they came out 4+years ago!

I don't know if you've had a look at the after market stuff for the 10/22 but you can customise them to an insane degree, plus there are hi-cap magazines available, 10, 20, 30 and i've even seen a 100rd drum one for it!

Mark

The G22 has only one purpose and that is using ammo, they are pants.

I looked at one and after trying one at Bisley a few years back decided against it. They are great if you have a surplus of a few thousand rounds and you have a few sandbags you want to shoot but sodall good for anything where you need the remotest of accuracy.

I bought a 10/22 and love it.

If you want to buy a semi that will shoot reliably and without any mods, you might want to look at the Browning Buckmark.

Of the 2 you mention the 10/22 is better (by a good long way) but benefits from AT LEAST those mods mentioned above and the more the better. I have a 3 MOA dot sight on mine and with the std (short) barrel I can keep RWS subs within that dot. I dont use it out much past 30-40m. I have a Sako Finnfire for that.

I had the same thoughts a year ago borrowed a G22 for a week and gave it back after 2 days load of feed problems and it was inaccurate.

Bought another 10/22 with CST bolt open mod (with special mags) moderator (P?H just got a SAK this weekend better) harris bi pod and hogue stock as I've got long arms and a recoil buffer.

Great on rabbits to 75 Yards.

Buy the 10/22 they are so popular for a reason.

Avoid he G22 it is a plinking gun, you can`t even use it at 25 metres as a target gun, it is very ammo fussy and will refuse to cycle many makes of ammo, also due to the fact it is a bullpup the trigger linkage is a rod which makes the trigger truly one of the worst ever made and feels terrible.

Get the 10/22. Buy the cheapest one you can find and do the following mods;

1. Trigger job (standard unit is way too heavy) - this is the best mod you can do!

2. 'Adult' sized stock. Loads on the market - Hogue are good / Clarksons are better.

3. Fit a recoil buffer

4. Extended mag release (essential if using at night)

5. Sound moderator

6. Loctite your scope

:no: