Chavs with dogs

What would you do if you were lying down in cover with an airrifle waiting for the rabbits to make an apperance and a few chavs with lurchers came strolling into your field as if they owned it trying to kill all the rabbits?

Also what action would you take regarding people illegaly lamping in your fields at night and also what would you do if someone decided to go for a jog in your field and then block up access to the field with their car?

All these things have happened recently and i cant decide what to do and the forms are going away very soon and i dont want to loose the chance of rifles and shotguns because i did something stupid to a bunch of burberry lovers.

Edited by sid the sniper

Hi, Sid,

Nightmare senarios.

Get yourself a copy of Fair Game by Charlie Parkes and John Thornley. It's worth every penny and not just for this matter.

Lurchers; leaving rifle where it is, approach close enough so they can hear you and ask them to leave explaining what you are doing. If they won't,or it gets dodgy, back off and leave. There's always tomorrow.

Lamping; speak to farmer and ask what he wants done about it. Hopefully, if there's no one else shooting with his permission, he'll say call the police. It may not be just rabbit that they're after.

Parking; polite note left under wipers explaining that this is a working farm, please don't block access.

That should keep you OK until the paperwork is in your hands.

Good luck.

Its my land the lampers come on and generally theres a few of them judging by the number ao lamps beams you can see and i have a lot of expensive machines that are in sight and im sure they would be more thean happy to set on fire if they worked out where i lived.

Edited by sid the sniper

As a farmer myself, a landowner is legally permitted to use reasonable means to move private vehicles blocking his own private rights of way. We have to move vehicles occasionally during harvest operations, with some particular hotspots always being problematic. We have not yet been prosecuted for lifting cars out of the way with loaders, nudging them out of the way (relatively gently) with tractors, or if the manpower is available, just bumping them out of gateways. It depends on whether any bobble hats, copies of the Guardian or muesli bars are evident in the offending vehicles.

Marauding chavs with lurchers - a bit of a tough one, and one that highlights the absolute need to inform people of where you are shooting and when you are expected home, even if it's your own land. I would not wade in on my own now, having learnt my lesson. If you can, call the police and report the incident as it unfolds. They will act very quickly if it is armed men poaching deer. Get some photos and index numbers if possible. It is not worth a shoeing, and what appear to be chavs may in fact be knife-wielding ******, who like burning down barns etc.

I have always wondered whether shooting the poachers dead myself, burying them in their truck in a tilled field with a long-reach 360 under cover of darkness and then re-cultivating (to avoid detection by aerial photo) would be a successful anti-poacher strategy. I stress the word *wondered*.

On a more general note, ask your local Police officer about the use of vehicle seizures under Section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002 (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts2002/ukpga_20020030_en_7#pt4-ch2-pb5-l1g59). It is a successful deterrent to chavs and straying vehicles.

A good suggestion, wymberley, but my experience of dealing with Essex Police on wildlife crime has not been too productive (one officer to cover an entire county). Getting practical support has proved very difficult on the home farm and on the estates I manage.

Check with your local plod to see if they have a specific operation going to catch "undesirables". If not then find out which is the best way to contact them for the fastest, local response, it is unlikely to be 999 for this sort of problem.

If you have PCSO's in your area then see if they will drive by now and then. It is a good visual deterrent having a police car in the area. Above all leave the gun at home and keep yourself safe.

DO NOT challenge on your own unless you happen to be built like arnie, then you would be the best visual deterrent :blush:

These people hate dogs and generally will go nowhere near if you have a few about, the bigger and noisier the better.

post-15797-1240165112.jpg

The old boy and the fresh blood.

These work pretty well.

A while back when i was pigeon shooting,someone walked their Westie near me and then proceeded to throw a ball so the bloody thing was only 50yds away-all on private property.Even when i shot a woodie over my head-the dipsh*t still didnt move.I phoned the farmer and he told me to tell him to ***k off...so i wandered over and did.

If they dont have permission to be there and you do-then tell them this!

How do you what they are like until you have spoken to them? Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge before you have a word with them. Just because they have lurchers it doesn't make them chavs.

People with lurchers on ground which they have no right to be on = poachers however you look at it

People lamping without permission = poachers however you look at it

People jogging with no permission = tell them to sod off and not block your entrance.

Best of luck however you deal with it.

have been in this very situation I was shooting rabbits and 3 lads with two dogs and lamps started heading towards me I kept on walking up to them and told them they were on private land and that I was shooting rabbit and any fox that happened to be about, and that I would hate to think I shot one of their dogs by mistake, they moved on!

KW

hmm these situations are always a nightmare. simple answer is be careful and be smart.

few years back i had trouble with guys lamping around our house on our land; lying in bed at 1am and having a search beam come through your window and hearing gun shots isnt fun, neither is having a **** in a landrover (with mudded up plates) threaten to kill you.

best thing to do is take all info you can - number plates, descriptions of the guys, videos of them doing whatever theyre at, etc.if it means having to lie in a hedge with binoculars and a note book, do it. also let the police know about it right away, and make sure they take a note of it, so if something does happen you have something backing you up. failing that you can always do what i did.

first, i bought myself a new gun

Photo425.jpg

and second, i started taking the dog out with me more often (also called arnie)

arnie.jpg

strangely, the guys stopped coming around our way after a couple of months. someone told me they had got scared, some madman dressed head to toe in camo gear (and cam cream too, apparantly) kept ambushing them when they were out, supposedly it got to the stage they didnt know where he'd jump out at them next, so they stayed well away from our part of the country. dont know who that guy was, but i owe him big time for that :blush:

we had poachers round the inlaws old place we were in the same position there was about 4 of these guys generally always went the same direction three of them were armed with folding .410's and they knew the land, every time old bill come they all ran in diffrent directions and none were ever caught, they always followed the rough same route and every time we tried approaching them they were very agressive. So we decided to scare them enough to make them leave, so we hid 5 dropping weight 12 bore poacher traps along there route with magnezium in the powder so it makes a huge flash and a bang, and wired up an old police siren in a tree on a trip wire, combined with a few crow scaring rockets and a bucket of slurry hiden over head on a tree branch worked a treat lol

ah he's a big softy really, but he doesnt like anyone trying to hurt his daddy, as a herd of bullocks found out once B)

Bet hes lovely :) Looks a right beauty. And im sure he'd go above n beyond to protect his daddy haha :)

string 40 yards of barb wire just above crop height between wire stakes ,on fields used by hares ,works wonders,or my personal fav tactic ,just be a big horrible menacing *******

What will that do ?

string 40 yards of barb wire just above crop height between wire stakes ,on fields used by hares ,works wonders,or my personal fav tactic ,just be a big horrible menacing *******

your targeting the wrong thing there mate..the dogs dont come on there own and it would be stupid thing to do..and cause you a fair bit of grief doing to the wrong ones