Skeet/Shooting Vest

notsosureshot

I see just about everyone wearing a skeet vest at the range but I dont really get the point. Other than the large pockets for carts, is there any point to these?

Im used to wearing shooting jackets for target rifle, which provide support, but skeet vests seem flimsy and with only a thin pad which surely cant be there to reduce felt recoil.

Can anyone enlighten me? Is it a fashion parade type of thing?

Cheers :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see just about everyone wearing a skeet vest at the range but I dont really get the point. Other than the large pockets for carts, is there any point to these?

Im used to wearing shooting jackets for target rifle, which provide support, but skeet vests seem flimsy and with only a thin pad which surely cant be there to reduce felt recoil.

Cheers :yes:

If you don't know we can't tell you :D

You wait till you wear the wrong one, You'll be strung up

by the heels.

taz

Good question. I don't get it either, apart from the pockets, and why is a baseball cap a compulsory accessory? :D . I think it's a (very US influenced) fashion thing. All shooting sports seem to have their 'uniform'. You wouldn't wear cammo and a cartridge belt on a formal driven pheasant shoot, and you wouldn't wear tweed and plus fours whilst pigeon decoying. OK, OK I know some people would :yes:

Cheers :lol:

theyre very important! wearing one round here marks you out as a member of the waist coat brigade, so all us hunters know to either give you a wide berth or be forced to beat you on clays to stop you bitching about us using pumps/semis :D:P

:yes::D:lol:

Big pockets, smooth texture where butt pad rubs during gun mount, sometimes other features like big *** pockets at the back for empties, clips for hanging shades/towels.

Baseball hats for protection/shade/anti sun burn.

None of the above is compuslory, just used by people who like having the right tools for the job, that's all.

This makes far more sense than people falling over themselves to prove how 'unique' or different they are by not following what most are doing, this is even more pathetic.

More **** from the cloth cap brigade. :yes:

They are basically pockets that you wear. They're flimsy because you don't necessarily want a stuffy bulky shooting coat on a hot day. The piece of leather isn't really for recoil, it obviously wouldn't help. The leather stops the butt slipping on the material. I have a vest with no leather shoulder area - it's ******* useless, the butt slides around on it, on stretchy shots.

If it's a cold day, you put something warm on underneath or wear a warm shooting coat instead.

Baseball caps are to protect your barnet against chunks of clay, which are like razor blades. Personally I don't like baseball caps, so I wear a flat 'at, Andy Capp style, or nothing at all, and I've got the cut head to prove it.

It's nothing to do with fashion, unlike the camo'd up wannabee Commandos who go night shooting in anything other than black :D

Horses for courses, don't throw stones in a greenhouse etc etc.

All I know is, if I do buy one, its going to get stone washed immediately. Theres no way on this green earth Im turning up in a brand new skeet vest. Talk about looking a plonker.

You can tell me, I wont share the secret, promise..

As stated by others they are just pockets and somewhere to

sew badges on if you are into that thing. I know lots who

have them personalised or sponsored so they are advertising

hoardings as well. I personaly dont like them too much so I

bought a cheap green flak jacket from a market stall that has lots

of pockets and enough room to carry 50 carts.

They are just a tool to be used for the job, and some people

reload their own carts so they like the extra pockets to put

their used carts while they are shooting.

cheers ozone

Nothing to do with fashion, they're just practical. Let's face it they were designed for clay shooters, with large pockets for cartridges, leather pad to aid smooth mounts etc. Can't see the problem that some people have with them.

Once again we see the same old comments about pump actions being used on clay grounds, which in my experience is a load of old bull.

Let's face it there are plenty of o/u's and semi's designed specifically for clays but i've yet to find a dedicated pump gun, though i'm sure you'll correct me if i'm wrong. As a knockabout rough gun they're fine, but they'll never cut the mustard at a semi decent clay shoot. I know a few on here used thier pumps a few weeks ago for a little competition (pumpathon) but i also know they didn't use them at the Essex Masters a couple of weeks later! There's a good reason for that.

As has already been stated you use the right tool for the job.

Skeet vests are the 'right tool' for any semi-serious/serious clay shot, and pumps are for a bit of fun and the odd walt!!

Has anyone found a use for the huge pocket they put in the back of shooting vests?? i have never found anything i need to carry when clay shooting to put in there, what do people use this mammoth pocket for??

The ****** I used to shoot with used to fill mine with logs, toadstools, empty plastic bottles, leaves and other

assorted crepe :)

Sometimes I didn't notice until I got back to the car B)

Edited by Chard

ah sorry, i didnt realise, ive wandered into the waist coat brigades home territory by mistake!! :hmm:

That's two mistakes in your last two posts then!! :rolleyes:

By the way waistcoats finish at the waist (clue's in the name)

Skeet vests are a longer garment, finishing well below the waist...........................bit like a vest really!! :hmm:

Has anyone found a use for the huge pocket they put in the back of shooting vests?? i have never found anything i need to carry when clay shooting to put in there, what do people use this mammoth pocket for??

I keep my choke box in it. Have developed a nasty habit of changing chokes every stand :hmm: and need my speed wrench to hand :rolleyes:

Fuzrat

That's two mistakes in your last two posts then!! :hmm:

By the way waistcoats finish at the waist (clue's in the name)

Skeet vests are a longer garment, finishing well below the waist...........................bit like a vest really!! :yes:

not really, i fail to see how an extremely reliable gun that holds 3 shots plus is no good for hunting, especially as i have so much success with mine, but im sure you have a valid reason why its not! although snobbery doesnt count as a valid reason... :rolleyes:

ah, right, so its more like a womans summer dress then?

fat-under-dress.jpg

tell me, do they come in a flowery pattern as well? or do you just make the pattern with all those cutesy little badges on them?? ???

:hmm: :hmm: :yes:

As a knockabout rough gun they're fine

Exactly why i bought mine. I have a clay gun (and god forbid i do any Pheasant shoots) but my pump is the cheapest way of getting a new working budget 3 shot pigeon/rough gun. Everything out there has it's place and/or budget!

i fail to see how an extremely reliable gun that holds 3 shots plus is no good for hunting,

Hence this comment from my original reply!!

As a knockabout rough gun they're fine,

I'm sure you could get a flowery skeet vest made for you. I've got some old curtain material here if you want it? :rolleyes:

As for the cutesy badges, well you can pick them up on e-bay..................or do what most people do and try winning some!! :hmm:

Hence this comment from my original reply!!

I'm sure you could get a flowery skeet vest made for you. I've got some old curtain material here if you want it? :yes:

As for the cutesy badges, well you can pick them up on e-bay..................or do what most people do and try winning some!! ???

na mate its ok, i gave up sewing badges on kit when i left the scouts aged 10! and win badges you say? funny, anytime i win anything its usually a small trophy i get. methinks youre being sold short there mate!! :yes:

now i wonder, what kind of stich would i need to use to sew that on my jacket... :rolleyes:

:o :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Edited by babbyc1000