Didn't clean my gun after a wet day out

Cosd

Got my gun out today for the first time since last Monday when I was shooting on a wet day with DennyEssex.

I am gutted, the barrels are spotted with rust!! Totally my fault, I can't believe I was so stupid.

I used a sponge and rubbed the barrels hard; The brown rust spots came out, but the barrels are now marked wherever there was a spot. And they are covered from end to end.

I'm guessing I have to get them re-blued unless one of you guys make my day and tell me something I can try? I was thinking maybe using a very fine paper like 4000 grade and use it wet. But I'm also thinking even that fine will scratch them up!!

Try one of those plastic pan scourers very gently with some oil, or some very fine wire wool with some oil. Be gentle, and you may be surprised with the results. I've only had to do this once on a friends beretta, but it worked a treat.

Always run an oily rag over the gun when cleaning.

However my guns are my tools and they have to work in less than ideal conditions and i don't get worked up about a few marks as long as it still works safely is the main thing.

Annoying though

What a great avatar BSA Airgunner :):yes:

Just what the anti's need, a camo'd chav holding a gun and sticking the V's up at the camera. Do yourself and your sport a favour and lose the stupid image.

And i thought the topic was about cleaning guns (or rather not)

AD

Hi guys, Mr stupid here!

Thanks for the tips and advice. I know it's "just" a Medalist as Deako kindly mentioned, but I like it and I'm still gutted this happened.

I think I know what happened, I would have been more concious if the gun was wet when I finished shooting, but it wasn't. What happened was my gun slip must have got wet and or damp inside, so when I put the gun in there it was like wrapping it up in a wet sponge! The gun was then put in the gun cabinet in it's case. You live and learn I suppose.

I cleaned the barrels using some very very fine automotive abrasive sponge; Tried a little bit beneath the hand grip and it was not scratching the barrels. I used this with cleaning oil and gently got rid of all the rust but the blueing has gone wherever the rust was. The inside of the barrels was not affected and the chokes are fine too. I'll have to keep a thin film of oil on the barrels all the time now until I get the barrels re-blued.

Has anyone had re-bueing done lately or know what the cost is? I want to get it done properly as oposed to the DIY kits you can buy.

Thanks again guys!

£117?? Try the DIY approach first for a few £'s. You'll be suprised at the results if done properly.

The blueing on most air guns is pretty ropey and doesnt stand up to much moisture. My S200 only has to sniff some damp air and it's trouble, so thats always well oiled on the outside, yet my Browning SG is out in all weathers and after a lot of years is still good as new.

£117?? Try the DIY approach first for a few £'s. You'll be suprised at the results if done properly.

The blueing on most air guns is pretty ropey and doesnt stand up to much moisture. My S200 only has to sniff some damp air and it's trouble, so thats always well oiled on the outside, yet my Browning SG is out in all weathers and after a lot of years is still good as new.

How good is DIY blueing though?

OK, I know it won't be the same, but is it passable or does it look ropey?

Can you recomend any kits? I'm willing to have a read and open to suggestions.

To be honest the barrels did have spots on them which were noticable on close inspection when the gun was cleaned. I don't know if these were a cover up somehow to rusting in the past (gun bought second hand) and my doing what I did just brought it out or whether the bluing/barrels are that suscepible to rust!

Cosd Lesson learnt and the hard way is always the best! If you’re more into pigeon, live quarry shooting then go the whole hog and have them barrels blacked not blued. Same process just comes out matt black which is far better for pigeon shooting (IMO) as it reduces glare. Brownings are generally bad at being mistreated and rust more readily than some other makes, don't know why, maybe the metal or poor blueing in the first place. It's not necessary to clean a gun every time it gets used (modern powders aren't as corrosive as the older stuff and metals are different) but it's always useful to give it a wipe over with an oily rag before putting it away in the cabinet and NEVER put it away in the sleeve.

I never put a gun away in the slip and if it was wet when i was shooting last I check it again the next day to make sure no rust has developed. It amazes mehow quickly it takes hold.

Dan

Edited by reddan

Cosd Lesson learnt and the hard way is always the best! If you’re more into pigeon, live quarry shooting then go the whole hog and have them barrels blacked not blued. Same process just comes out matt black which is far better for pigeon shooting (IMO) as it reduces glare. Brownings are generally bad at being mistreated and rust more readily than some other makes, don't know why, maybe the metal or poor blueing in the first place. It's not necessary to clean a gun every time it gets used (modern powders aren't as corrosive as the older stuff and metals are different) but it's always useful to give it a wipe over with an oily rag before putting it away in the cabinet and NEVER put it away in the sleeve.

:angry:

Bear