Did the Tripple!!!!

M ROBSON

Hi guys,

I've been busy out stalking for the last 3 days for Roe bucks here in Fife. I was guiding a regular shooting client of mine on his first Roe trophy stalking holiday and it's certainly one he's going to remember!!!

We did 6 stalks over the 3 days and ended up with 8 bucks with a few "special" ones included.

Gold on the first morning!

3505884652_bb7d2aed76.jpg

We shot some nice clean 6 point bucks before we ended up with this nice head last night.

3505878174_8a527e7587.jpg

It was a good head and may just make a bronze but I would have liked to leave it for another year. We didn't have this choice as his body was in a terrible state. He had been shot at range with a shotgun!!!!! He was blind in one eye and his neck was peppered. His body weight was very poor and had a lot of his coat missing with totally bald patches. The carcase had to be disposed of.

Then this morning, the last stalk, we hit a nice double. First this freak 9 point head that will make bronze.

3507130923_a4b1944b16.jpg

He was shot in a very boggy valley floor and had his "slippers" on!

3507136087_12e0fb0c1b.jpg

Then less than an hour later we bumped into this very nice beast that will make a high end silver!

3507946486_27049697f1.jpg

Needless to say my client was over the moon with his 3 days stalking. We didn't fail on any stalks, decided to stalk into 8 bucks and managed to get all of them. We also left a few others that showed good potential for the future. All shots were perfectly placed and no bad shots or follow ups were needed, the .223 dropped them all within 10 yards of the hit using Sako Gameheads.

3506703063_7313825cac.jpg

3506703571_7db3c691f8.jpg

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by M ROBSON

Turk,

Heads can be scored on lots of aspects and is a science in itself!!!

Weight

Volume

Lenght

Inside Span

Colour

Pearling

coronets

Tine ends

Regularity and quality

The biggest points scorers are weight and volume.

Bronze = 105

Silver = 115

Gold = 130

Cheers,

Mark.

8 from 6 stalks, and very nice heads at that, i was in the fife area in early april and was stalking with vernon waters and went out on 3 stalks and got the 1 roe :sick: (my first and i was dead chuffed) and that was only a 2 pointer. What is the best time of year to go for roe then? as when i was out many were still in velvet.

George

Groach,

I usually don't stalk (with clients) any earlier than the last week in April, all mature bucks should be clean by then. You can have bucks in velvet up to the end of May though but they are the younger bucks.

It's very easy to overdo things when dealing with trophy bucks. We can see upto 10 bucks a stalk but only 1 or 2 might be a taker if your lucky!!!!!!

Mark.

Edited by M ROBSON

To be honest he told is that he does not normally stalk until mid to late april but that was the only time we could do and as it was in season i think he thought he would get the business he could with the economy as it is. Anyway im happy with my buck and had great fun anyway :sick: and hope to go back for a nice six pointer in the not to distant future :oops: and my dad has mentioned Red stags are a potential for summer :D:P :P :(

George

Well done Mark some crackers there. I lost one of my main bits of ground due to it being sold & got 1 or 2 medals a year on that. Cant complane thou as i got my brother what i think a big bronze low silver & iv picked a possible bronze off the road dead. I have just picked up another 400 acre today & it has the potential to do well time will tell. great trophys great to see cheers.

Thanks guys. :lol:

Elvis,

I boil them in a Burco tea urn and then blast them off with a power washer. I can have them fully cleaned within 40 minutes of cutting them off the body. I've had several last morning bucks that have been cleaned and away with the client within an hour after the stalk finished.

Mark.

Turk,

Heads can be scored on lots of aspects and is a science in itself!!!

Weight

Volume

Lenght

Inside Span

Colour

Pearling

coronets

Tine ends

Regularity and quality

The biggest points scorers are weight and volume.

Bronze = 105

Silver = 115

Gold = 130

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Mark, great info.

turk101

Elvis,

I boil them in a Burco tea urn and then blast them off with a power washer. I can have them fully cleaned within 40 minutes of cutting them off the body. I've had several last morning bucks that have been cleaned and away with the client within an hour after the stalk finished.

Wow!!!!Thanks, i used to use a burko to make mass boilies for carp fishing. :yes:

Mark do you add anything to the boiling water (bio powder maybe) to assist the clean or is it just boiling water and jet wash? Do you skin the heads first or boil them as is?

Nice bucks BTW and good to hear you wait for them to shed velvet, they look so much better in the raw. My only comment would be; why not have the best one/s fully mounted rather than boned out?

Highlander,

I cut the skin off totally, remove the lower jaw, trim the eyes and any extra meat that is easily removed. I put them into pure boiling water for about 20 minutes, the power waster deals with the rest. If needed they can be soaked and bleached afterwards to suit the clients taste.

You can still do a full mount on these beasts without using their origional skin. Most big medals are boiled clean then scored and if you want them mounted a skin from another animal is used, often an old Doe as the skin can be cut to fit better around the pedicles.

Mark.

Edited by M ROBSON