Bow-hunting apologists?

"It staggered 500 yards before it collapsed, then she left it to die overnight."

Thats enough there for any anti to rave on about.Bow hunting is not for me but if someone is going to do it they should atleast make sure the animal is dispatched quickly :yes:

Killing any majestic & beautiful creature for the sake of it is just so wrong on so many levels. It's bad enough that she even took some meathead up on his challenge but to leave to die overnight? :yes:<_< :blink: What on earth is wrong with some people?

Nothing should be left to suffer to die a slow and painful death. It really saddens me to think that there are folk out there who find this acceptable. How can it be? It is just so wrong. :no: (shakes head)

you are reading the media report and believing it. Some of the arrows used are unbelievable but they do kill by large blood loss to you do get animals that can travel a short distance. I think you'd have to be there to decide whether its humane but don't forget the locals over there would have done far worse and spears etc will have accounted for a lot of elephants.

I don't understand why she couldn't have followed it for a kill shot instead of leaving it to die? After all, if she can shoot it once with a bow, she can shoot it twice (or even three times?) can't she? I believe any animal, whether quarry or vermin, should have the quickest death that we can possibly give it, otherwise we are no better than the ill-educated and ill-informed antis who have caused so much animal suffering in their ignorance. There is no excuse for causing deliberate or callous suffering.

Rhiannon

I appreciate that Alex, and I know full well that one should never believe anything in the press. An ex-colleague was formerly a PH in Zim, and used to talk about elephant hunting with bows, but he never claimed it to be an effective method: you don't see much elephant cropping being carried out with bows. I wouldn't raise my .470" NE (with >5,000ft/lb per barrel) to an elephant, but if I did, I would at least be confident that it was the right tool for the job.

Getting to within 12 yards of one of the most dangerous animals on earth, clutching a bow (a tool unequivocally incapable of stopping a charge) is either brave or very foolish.

depends if it was in brush thick enough to hide it, if so its a very dangerous place to check an elephant is dead. My thinking is it was hit very hard and they assumed it was dead but couldn't check safely so decided to leave it to be certain overnight. Very different to our shooting over here but then we don't hunt things that will kill us

It must have been really difficult to see if it was dead, afterall a bit of a giveaway was the fact that it moved 500yards. Some mean feat for a dead elephant.

THat is so wrong it is untrue. The locals with spears and the like kill to eat, not to win a bet.

depends if it was in brush thick enough to hide it, if so its a very dangerous place to check an elephant is dead. My thinking is it was hit very hard and they assumed it was dead but couldn't check safely so decided to leave it to be certain overnight. Very different to our shooting over here but then we don't hunt things that will kill us

I've hunted plenty of things in Africa that would happily have killed me, but the use of an 'insurance' shot is both for safety and prevention of the quarry suffering. You can't physically penetrate the base of an elephant's skull with an arrow, to make sure it really is dead before you start taking inane celebratory photos, which to me highlights how reprehensible this story is.

I personaly dont see anything wrong with bow hunting but shooting an elephant with one is just stupid.Providing the game you are shooting is of a size or structure that you can acheive a kill shot(and you are up to it) then i would give bow hunting a go.

As for the story..If you payed enough they would let you stab one to death with tooth picks and see nothing wrong in it.But that is the way things are in some country's

Elephants. They're pests aren't they? And oh so tasty.

Killed it for a bet. What a messed up, dizzy bint.

I will never get my head around large game hunting. Why kill an elephant...

Because you can...

Elephants. They're pests aren't they? And oh so tasty.

Killed it for a bet. What a messed up, dizzy bint.

I will never get my head around large game hunting. Why kill an elephant...

As mad is this may seem yes elephants are a best in many areas of africa and the decimate the trees where ever they go and as i understand Botswana is a very good example of this. I have seen It is several safari parks in south africa and the Mara in Kenya, they tare down trees to such an extent and as they are protected so heavily their numbers are spiking very fast so hunting them should be done. However i would not dare to even shoot a roe with a bow never mind an elephant and i feel that is wrong.

George

Sorry, but have to chime in here. I've bowhunted for years and there are some realities of bowhunting that other hunters might not fully realize.

1. When you bowhunt you are forced to get much closer to game than you're used to with a gun. That's a great part of hunting, and really what seperates HUNTING from SHOOTING.

2. When it goes down the right way, the animal doesn't even know what really happened. Modern bows can send a graphite arrow through a 750 pound rutted up bull elk, or a 1500 pound Yukon moose breaking a rib or two and ending up in the bushes on the other side. It is routine with modern compound bows with a well placed rib shot. After the shot you don't stand up and start yelling, you stay part of the scenery as you did before the shot if possible. The animal walks off, lays down feeling faint from blood loss and normally dies very quickly. Usually within minutes. With a rifle, the trauma and shock instantly sends the animal into a very different place. So unless you kill him instantly, it might be a problem.

3. The leaving of an animal, (not chasing it), is precisely so you do not kick in the adrenaline factor. If you do that, it can be a different game altogether.

4. As for her leaving it overnight, that would be a reality of tracking game in the dark and possibly pushing the elephant as opposed to letting run out of blood and dying.

Anyone who has NEVER wounded a fox that ran off into the bush, winged a crow, or hit a mallard that flew off or gut-shot a deer that they didn't find, be proud of yourself.

Most importantly, in the current environment with the anti-s we cannot throw each other under the train just because we don't hunt the same way someone else does. If you don't think bowhunting is right, then don't do it. If you don't think big game hunting or trophy hunting is right, don't do it. But if I want to bowhunt Yukon moose, (and don't kid yourself, many people do), stay out of my road.

Perhaps you're reacting to the "bet" or that it was an Elephant... both things that the anti-media wanted you to react to... but that is also not factual. I wouldn't do something like that on a bet, and I have no desire to kill an elephant, but if she did, good on her. Fred Bear, the father of modern American bow technology killed an elephant many many years ago with a recurve bow. Several people have taken the big 5 with bow and arrow.

Hunting is hunting. Calling hunting "pest control" is a gray area for me. I've killed a lot of coyotes, and people call them pests, but when I call one in to twenty yards and my heart races as I take the safety off.... the furthest thing from my mind is pest control. We hunt to kill, or we kill so that we have hunted.

Just my opinion... I'm sure many will disagree.

I have spent many ,many hunts in the states where i have a family who are keen on hunting as i am . All of my cousins are keen bow hunters as well as shotgun hunters for deer (in new york state you carnt use a rifle on deer ) .

I have been on bow hunting trips with my cousins although i have never hunted my self with a bow . The first deer i saw shot with a bow and the broad head arrows died almost instantly and only managed to run about 20 yards . Another deer i saw shot with a bow ran off with the arrow sticking out from its shoulder and was never found . My cousin shot a black bear last season with the bow and killed it clean and it did not manage to run more than 50 yards before dying . I personally do not have the skill to hunt big game with a bow ,but more importantly would not want to .

Before you condem the the bow hunter out of hand you would need to watch an expert use a proper compound hunting bow believe me in the right hands they are lethal . But not my cup of tea .

Harnser .

I think that's really wrong. So wrong I even commented on it! I have left things to die before and I'm not proud of it, but only when I couldn't find what I'd shot. To injure something with an appropriate weapon is terrible, but to hunt something with a weapon not capable of killing your quarry cleanly is not sporting at all. It's very cruel!