Is my permission worth it?

I need some advice I have a permission In sussex its 550 acres mainly woods and open fields but sadly know crops the landowner only lets us shoot crows,squirrels,jays and magpies and a pheasant in season but he likes the pigeons and rabbits that are overunning his permission so know go there and trust me i have tried. I always let him know when I am going and what and where I will be shooting I always go for a chat and offer help around the property and of course respect him and his land.I set up this morning had 2 crows in 10 minutes hide and deeks working perfectly he then rang me and told me all the banging was not good and to get off the land as I was giving him a bad name I was a mile from his property and as said he knew I was there and that I was using a shotgun so where do i go from here :wub:

He's got 550 acres overrun with rabbits and he LIKES them!!!!!!!! :wub:

Call the men in white coats get him locked up and see if his kids are a bit more sensible :wub:

Does he graze livestock? If so then i think every ten rabbits or something like that equals a sheep so less rabbits equals more sheep equals more income equals more profit.

However i do realise that there are large parts of Sussex owned by the lifestylers who will not budge on this issue however much it is costing them.

Honestly it would bug the hell out of me if i had gone down to do some vermin control and got told to ****** off because of the noise.

Try looking for a better bit of ground before telling him he is mad as the proverbial though. You might not find too much more that quickly.

Badshot

He is making it untenable for you . I wouldnt bother to go there . Just tell him to give you a call when he needs you .At least you can keep your feet under the table

Harnser .

:wub:

I was about to say 'walk away' but this is sound diplomatic advice. Keeps your options open.

He sounds a little unusual.... however there is still an opportunity here. If he doesn't want noise but still wants 'select' pests removing then get him to sign you off for FAC air or rimfire and get your FAC application in! :wub:

he is a conservationist if thats how you spell it :wub:

I was right then. Does that mean he is just letting the land go wild?

As a "real" farmer i can't quite grasp the concept.

As already stated keep your feet under the table while looking for better options.

Maybe enquire at your local gunshop to see if there is any more available, some landowners will go there to get names for vermin control.

If you are anywhere near Hickstead I might be able to help, i have family over that way.

PM me if stuck.

Badshot.

It is spelt..... P - R - A - T :wub:

:wub: :wub: :lol:

It does sound unusual. Maybe her indoors is complaining, 'the poor animals, what harm are they doing etc'. I know a lad who used to shoot and he wasnt a bad shot, had the best of everything, complete set up, and now he dosnt shoot. Missus loves animals and he views it as cruel now too. This lad used to be out all day shooting

I need some advice I have a permission In sussex its 550 acres mainly woods and open fields but sadly know crops the landowner only lets us shoot crows,squirrels,jays and magpies and a pheasant in season but he likes the pigeons and rabbits that are overunning his permission so know go there and trust me i have tried. I always let him know when I am going and what and where I will be shooting I always go for a chat and offer help around the property and of course respect him and his land.I set up this morning had 2 crows in 10 minutes hide and deeks working perfectly he then rang me and told me all the banging was not good and to get off the land as I was giving him a bad name I was a mile from his property and as said he knew I was there and that I was using a shotgun so where do i go from here :wub:

What time in the morning did you start shooting...??... You might have woke him up... :wub:

so why did he let you shoot his land in the first place if he doesnt like noise, did he think you would of been using a bow and arrow, and do you mean he likes the pigeons and rabbits for himself to shoot, or someone else who pays him to be able to shoot them, id like to say tell him to stick it but permission is permission so id go have a work and see what the crack is,

lee

I dont know if i am missing the point here but does'nt he have a legal obligation to control the number of rabbits on his land

"An Order has been made under Section 1 of the Pests Act 1954 by which England and Wales (except for the City of London, the Isles of Scilly and Skokholm Island) have been designated a Rabbit Clearance Area. In this area, every occupier of land is responsible for the killing or taking of wild rabbits on his land. Where it is not reasonably practical to destroy the rabbits, occupiers must take the necessary steps to prevent them causing damage. Under section 98 of the Agricultural Act 1947, Defra has the power to serve a Notice under the Agriculture Act 1947, requiring rabbit control to be carried out; if this is not done, they may arrange for the necessary work to be undertaken at the expense of the occupier, who could also be liable to a fine."

Apologies if as a newbie i missed something.

I dont know if i am missing the point here but does'nt he have a legal obligation to control the number of rabbits on his land

"An Order has been made under Section 1 of the Pests Act 1954 by which England and Wales (except for the City of London, the Isles of Scilly and Skokholm Island) have been designated a Rabbit Clearance Area. In this area, every occupier of land is responsible for the killing or taking of wild rabbits on his land. Where it is not reasonably practical to destroy the rabbits, occupiers must take the necessary steps to prevent them causing damage. Under section 98 of the Agricultural Act 1947, Defra has the power to serve a Notice under the Agriculture Act 1947, requiring rabbit control to be carried out; if this is not done, they may arrange for the necessary work to be undertaken at the expense of the occupier, who could also be liable to a fine."

Apologies if as a newbie i missed something.

Not any more!

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/284797/Na...egislation.html

:wub:

All the advice to "tell him to stick it" is great....................if you have loads of other opportunities.

However, I suspect you haven't.

On my permissions I have various "rules" I have to observe, on one its dawn to dusk shooting only, on another its no Sunday shooting and no foxes, on another I must not shoot near two large houses, on another no shooting before 8am, etc., etc.

Shooting permissions are hard to get and most of us have to compromise a bit.

I would suggest a conversation with him to sort out what you can and can't do and when you can do it.

If necessary consider an air rifle, or Hushpower.

I doubt with the quarry you describe that an FAC is a sensible option.

Best of luck.

My advice, nip over to main land Europe and collect and bring back a big sack of rabid foxes, oh and get some duty free booze while you are at it. Release the rabid foxes round said farmer's house and just sit back and wait for the phone to ring. Mr Conservationalist Guardian reading farmer won't look so clever surrounded by rabid foxes with no gun and no one to shoot them.

Job done :wub:

I really should start charging for advice of this quality.

To be honest, it's little wonder people have problems getting shooting when you read the comments some shooters make about farmers and land owners, calling them ****** and telling them to stick it etc.

If someone came on here looking for a shooter to deal with pests, they'd be able to draw a long list of shooters they wouldnt let anywhere near their land.

If you want to shoot you've got to abide by his rules. I wouldn't recommend bullying him with threats about his legal obligations i.e. he'd better let you shoot his rabbits or he's a criminal and there's no way he can refuse you ( I love that one) or verbally abusing him either. Just check what his new rules are.