Fags (again sorry)

leaseone

Just over 2 months for me - and this time it has been easy (see below).

I had given up before for any period ranging between 1 month and 1 year but had always seen giving up as denying myself something I enjoyed. I then bought the Alan Carr DVD and worked through in my mind that smoking was not a pleasure but a good old fashioned addiction which in real terms I derived no benefit from. I would recommend the DVD 101% to anyone looking to quit.

I now realise that having given up, that really is it - I cannot have another cigarette again <end of>. Once I got to grips with that I have had no cravings - the physical cravings passed quickly along with the smell of stale fags leaving my car, clothes and hair. The mental cravings haven't been there this time - as above that is thanks to Alan Carr and a realisation that it's plain ******* daft to smoke (see below).

However, what really made me give up was down to Elvis. I had a medical work over - there's nothing wrong with (1) my heart (2) my BP (3) my cholesterol etc. What did trigger was the chest x-ray. I believe the words were "early degenerative changes".

Having now stopped, I have been down the gym either every day or at worst every other day for approaching 3 months. I am back to a reasonable level of fitness and am enjoying it again; 45 mins level 10 on the rowing machine, 30 mins interval training on the bike, 200 kg squats, 40 kg bent over row, 90 kg lat pull down, 80 kg bench press (incl bar).

It is now that I realise what a plum I have been for smoking for so many years coupled with a deep sense of regret that I have probably already significantly shortened my life.

Last time I gave up the mental cravings never left me - I even had dreams about smoking and would wake up feeling disappointed that I had failed. No dreams this time and no cravings - the physical addiction is well and truly gone in 2 weeks and what anyone feels after that is all in their head.

For me it was the simple realisation that I have been handed a yellow card from a medical practitioner whose medical opinion I respect and have taken on board.

If the truth be known I feel like a bit of a plum for ever starting; and yes, my parents told me as a teenager "there will come a day when you will regret the day you ever started"

Having now stopped, I have been down the gym either every day or at worst every other day for approaching 3 months. I am back to a reasonable level of fitness and am enjoying it again; 45 mins level 10 on the rowing machine, 30 mins interval training on the bike, 200 kg squats, 40 kg bent over row, 90 kg lat pull down, 80 kg bench press (incl bar).

..but still drive the 200 yards from the range to the cafe at Bisley :hmm:

Just over 2 months for me - and this time it has been easy (see below).

I had given up before for any period ranging between 1 month and 1 year but had always seen giving up as denying myself something I enjoyed. I then bought the Alan Carr DVD and worked through in my mind that smoking was not a pleasure but a good old fashioned addiction which in real terms I derived no benefit from. I would recommend the DVD 101% to anyone looking to quit.

I now realise that having given up, that really is it - I cannot have another cigarette again <end of>. Once I got to grips with that I have had no cravings - the physical cravings passed quickly along with the smell of stale fags leaving my car, clothes and hair. The mental cravings haven't been there this time - as above that is thanks to Alan Carr and a realisation that it's plain ******* daft to smoke (see below).

However, what really made me give up was down to Elvis. I had a medical work over - there's nothing wrong with (1) my heart (2) my BP (3) my cholesterol etc. What did trigger was the chest x-ray. I believe the words were "early degenerative changes".

It is now that I realise what a plum I have been for smoking for so many years coupled with a deep sense of regret that I have probably already significantly shortened my life.

yeah, but realize that you have quit, and i believe it takes 5 years for most of your lung damage to repair itself. So thats what i understand anyway. But the fact you are living healthier is a plus. Bottom line is dude, no matter what you do, or how you do it, when its your time? Its your time. My grandpa Gil smoked for 74 years and never had issues with his lungs.. The loss of his mind is what took the old boy down.. So do not fret as the fact you are done has given you more time than you might not have had..

Four and a half years off them now. I had no serious cravings after a week. Still get a twinge now and again when I see one of the boys light up when we're shooting, but it passes in seconds.

Shan't be doing that nonsense again. I also regret ever starting :hmm:

Put lots of weight on though, ought to get down the gym but I can't be ***** :lol:

Thanks for that Lee :hmm:

Every smoker hopes that they have the same genetic make up as that French woman who lived to 135 years and smoked 20 Gauloise a day.

I know where you are coming from brother.. Its a hard thing to do.. Chewing tobaccy for 25 years almost drove me insane with the DT's and chronic head aches.. I see you are hitting the gym, and getting back on line. I need to follow your example and get back to the iron, though my power lifting days are over. Anything is better than nothing.. Its is too easy to live like a slob :lol:

Well done leaseone! It ain't easy but I guess you know that already. I used to smoke 30 fags a day (i bet that has lee wondering :lol: ). I gave up for about 3.5 years then was having a pint one friday afternoon after work and fancied a cigar. Thought to myself "just the one" but it quickly went to me smoking 20 hamlet a day. I was smoking them like normal ciggies & it got to a point where I could hear myself wheezing as I went up the stairs.

In a bid to kick the habit after 3 years of smoking cigars (never touched a ciggie) I made a wager with a good friend that if he ever saw me with another cigar he could have a free kick to my wedding tackle. I fell from grace once when we lost our cocker spaniel and had a cigar on her wake. I confessed to my mate & we agreed to make it double or quits. To date I haven't touched one, but I do fancy one from time to time.

Only thing is now I still stuck on the bloody nicotine gum after 5 years :hmm:

With the ciggies, one trick I learnt was teaching myself to really hate smoking with a passion. I guess this is why ex-smokers are the worst.

With reference to munglers heroic workouts, one of things I do on a regular basis is a fitness class run by an outfit calling themselves British Military Fitness. They operate all over the country. Ive been going for nearly 3 years now (after my size 36's were getting tight on me). For all round general fitness I would certainly recommend them to anyone. They basically run your rear end ragged for an hour but it is good fun. No two classes the same and its all outside regardless of weather. They reckon that for every hour in the gym the average person will do 20 minutes effective exercise. With this outfit they reckon you'll do at least 50 minutes out of the hour effective exercise.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Ah lovely fags! Just a memory now.As far as drugs go it is a rubbish one is it not? Not exactly mind altering as much as just putting you off till the next one. Hey Mungler,dont despair! You are already clawing back the lost years and with all that gym work you could have your scallywag preserved by that German bloke and shown in his travelling circus.

I think getting older is bad enough without weakening your lungs with fags. Nice to starve the Exchequer of the revenue too.Well done us quitters.Good luck the ones trying :hmm:

Well done leaseone! It ain't easy but I guess you know that already. I used to smoke 30 fags a day (i bet that has lee wondering ;) ). I gave up for about 3.5 years then was having a pint one friday afternoon after work and fancied a cigar. Thought to myself "just the one" but it quickly went to me smoking 20 hamlet a day. I was smoking them like normal ciggies & it got to a point where I could hear myself wheezing as I went up the stairs.

In a bid to kick the habit after 3 years of smoking cigars (never touched a ciggie) I made a wager with a good friend that if he ever saw me with another cigar he could have a free kick to my wedding tackle. I fell from grace once when we lost our cocker spaniel and had a cigar on her wake. I confessed to my mate & we agreed to make it double or quits. To date I haven't touched one, but I do fancy one from time to time.

Only thing is now I still stuck on the bloody nicotine gum after 5 years :hmm:

With the ciggies, one trick I learnt was teaching myself to really hate smoking with a passion. I guess this is why ex-smokers are the worst.

With reference to munglers heroic workouts, one of things I do on a regular basis is a fitness class run by an outfit calling themselves British Military Fitness. They operate all over the country. Ive been going for nearly 3 years now (after my size 36's were getting tight on me). For all round general fitness I would certainly recommend them to anyone. They basically run your rear end ragged for an hour but it is good fun. No two classes the same and its all outside regardless of weather. They reckon that for every hour in the gym the average person will do 20 minutes effective exercise. With this outfit they reckon you'll do at least 50 minutes out of the hour effective exercise.

i know what you mean Doc :lol: never once had i considered you to be the type to hook up with a bloke in some dark alley ;) Your word for a stick, 'Fag' , is the one we Americans learn and exploit..

8 weeks nowsince the last ciggy :lol: , so when do I stop wanting one :hmm:

If my experience was anything to go by,about 15 years and I'm not kidding! The worst time I found for craving a cigarette was after a meal when you could still smoke in restaurants. Stick with it,you'll be fitter and a whole lot richer.

I never smoked cigarettes, but smoked cigars for 20 years and stopped 12 years, 2 months and 7 days ago.

I don't yearn for one, but could smoke one right now if I wanted to.

The physical addiction/dependancy does wear off after a year or so, but don't forget, you did enjoy smoking and that never wears off.

I never smoked cigarettes, but smoked cigars for 20 years and stopped 12 years, 2 months and 7 days ago.

I don't yearn for one, but could smoke one right now if I wanted to.

The physical addiction/dependancy does wear off after a year or so, but don't forget, you did enjoy smoking and that never wears off.

Like i enjoyed being single.. That was 22 years ago.. You are right Mr. Cransfield :hmm: Now i have slid into deep depression.. I need a smoke :lol:

Well done, it takes alot of self conditioning to stop. Alan Carr for me, put it into a pespective that was easy to manage. I didn't note the day I stopped but its about a year now.

I won't go back to smoking and often wonder why I did in the first place. Following all the attempts I made prior, I have found easier this time round.

Stick with it, it definitely gets easier as you go on, until you find yourself not thinking on them at all.

:hmm:

I think i'm going to give the Allan Carr DVD a go, i stopped last year for 4 months and put myself through hell trying not to think of smoking as my little friend, i have read the easyway book and it all makes sense but i just can't get it into my thick skull to follow it properly, perhaps watching and listening would make the difference, i am currently 3 weeks quit and am still thinking of smoking as a pleasure i'm denying myself, which of course i know it's not!!!! :good:

I spent an awful lot of time time telling myself why I should give up before I actually did. Kept reminding myself of ALL the reasons. It must have helped as I didn't plan the day to stop I just woke up one morning and said thats it no more.

Ultimately, you have to want stop.