Scuba Diving

LXX73

Has anybody been diving in Sharm? Thinking of doing a PADI open water course. So if anyone can recommend any centres,hotels and who to book with, would be much obliged.

Cant help with that particular location, but dont think about doing it, do it, its absolutely fantastic, I did the Padi course in the Maldives about 6 years ago and it was a real eye opener.

Anyone considering it will find that the experience is worth every pound spent. Have a good holiday.

Rgds D2D

Never been there but dived all over the place.

Did my padi open water in the UK and that was so much more involved and difficult than what anyone abroad has to do.

Good luck with doing it, and remeber to take plenty of ear drops if you plan to dive al ot! :good:

PADI

Pay in

Advance

Die

Immediately

Dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Royal

Thats a load of toss.

PADI is the best known name in recreational divng, all their tables and figures are so conservative you would have to double them to suffer a DCI!!

Went to Sharm in Feburary, i only done a bit of diving the place is full of dive schools. In the sea it was amazing, unfortunitly i did not like it when i got out, loads of hastle locals wanting you to buy this and that all tat, 100 yards off the beaches third world not their fault, but not where i would chose to holiday again with my family. I have friends who go every year and love it. Me next year back to Floirda.

If you have time, do the PADI in the UK so you get to so some proper diving when you're on holiday.

Very good point.

Its hard to enjoy diving when you have to stop and take mask/bcd off all the time. And once you get practice at getting your boyancy right its just a much nicer experience for all.

im intrested aswell as im going to sharm in september.

when are you going?

john boy

Probably around September also.

If you have time, do the PADI in the UK so you get to so some proper diving when you're on holiday.

Looking into this idea as well.

join a bsac club learn to dive "properly" then go out to the likes of sharm and get on a live aboard (you can do a half and half) ie 3 or 4 days hotel based and day boats, and 3 or 4 days (whichever way around you want) on a live aboard, that gets you out to the classic wrecks before the crowds, sharm/narma bay is good but way to hot this time of the year.plenty of bars hotels etc local beer is good.

I always book through a dive center based at ocean lodge or ocean club hotels, decent and good value.

if you really want a holiday and want to try diving at the likes of sharm (great place to do it) just remember that you will do a lot of pool training and then do some dives of very limited depth, and that unless you continue on and spend LOTS of money with padi you will most likely have to start over again should you wish to take up the sport further in this country.

The diving in the UK is believe it or not far far better. , so again join a club

oh and this pic was taken a fortnight ago off tiree scallops for tea uk diving at its best!

P1040759.jpg

cheers KW

i've been diving for the last 22 years (both BSAC and PADI) - PADI is absolutely fine and the vast majority of people you will dive with will be PADI.

I'd recommend Red Sea Diving College

http://www.redseacollege.com/

Camel are also pretty good

http://www.cameldive.com/

The Camel hotel is nice with a great roof top bar.

here's some photos...

Diving the SS Thistlegorm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickbeardo/se...57600241011026/

Other dives...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickbeardo/se...57600240778732/

General shots around Sharm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickbeardo/se...57600240556630/

Edited by nickbeardo

join a bsac club learn to dive "properly" then go out to the likes of sharm and get on a live aboard (you can do a half and half) ie 3 or 4 days hotel based and day boats, and 3 or 4 days (whichever way around you want) on a live aboard, that gets you out to the classic wrecks before the crowds, sharm/narma bay is good but way to hot this time of the year.plenty of bars hotels etc local beer is good.

I always book through a dive center based at ocean lodge or ocean club hotels, decent and good value.

if you really want a holiday and want to try diving at the likes of sharm (great place to do it) just remember that you will do a lot of pool training and then do some dives of very limited depth, and that unless you continue on and spend LOTS of money with padi you will most likely have to start over again should you wish to take up the sport further in this country.

The diving in the UK is believe it or not far far better. , so again join a club

oh and this pic was taken a fortnight ago off tiree scallops for tea uk diving at its best!

P1040759.jpg

cheers KW

I don't understand this learning to dive properly buisness?

PADI are a great organisation that cater really well for all its members, beginers of DMs

Iv'e dived to 12m with PADI instructors, and done around an hour @ 18-32ish on nitrox32, and down to about 45m on air. Everything is coverd, even though it may seem a bit safety-safety-safety at first, the essiantial skills are all the same, its just how far you want to take it!!

Probably around September also.

Looking into this idea as well.

You can, I am lead to believe, do your theory in the UK and the practical on holiday (where hopefully the water is clearer/warmer).

I did both in Mauritius with PADI. I did a lot of revision up front but to be honest I could have passed the test without doing so as they we quite willing to coach you through passing. Good for getting a pass but bad from a safety perspective!

Whilst I like Scuba Diving is it worth the hastle compared with snorkling? With Scuba you might get a buzz of 100% for effort/hastle of 80% yet Snorkling you get a buzz of 60% for effort of 20%. If you know what I mean. There again I've only done Maldives and Mauritius where both Snorkling and scuba are excellent.

Andrew

P1040759.jpg

cheers KW

Is it worthwhile joining a club in the UK as I don't really know how much time i'd have to commit? My idea was to get qualified so that I could go diving when I go abroad. Don't mind joining a club to get qualified but wouldn't they expect long term commitment(not sure how much time i'd have as i've got plenty of other hobbies)

learning to dive can be very useful - click!

Bloody hell Babby didn't take you long to massacre my thread, just don't turn it into a zombie fest I don't want it heading for the playpen. Interesting though as i'm supposed to be going with the mrs :good:

Bloody hell Babby didn't take you long to massacre my thread, just don't turn it into a zombie fest I don't want it heading for the playpen. Interesting though as i'm supposed to be going with the mrs :good:

:blink: what can i say? im sitting at home doped up on painkillers, have plenty of time on my hands :good: