Clean kills + Dispatching wounded Pigeons

Tobyb525

I went pigeon shooting for the first time yesterday for a hour or two, I was intending to shoot them as crossed the edge of the woods on my permision to feed in a neighbouring field. They were quite high, fast birds so I only ended up with one. (It's so much harder than clay shooting) :)

Most of my pellets hit it in the wing although there were still about 5 or 6 in the brest area.

It went down like a brick but I found that it was still alive when I retrieved it. :D

How many pellets will it take to cleanly kill a bird and in what area? :lol:

Also (although i'm sure it's been asked before), whats the cleanest, quickest way to dispatch it? ;)

I tried to snap its neck like a rabbit but ended up pulling its head off! :rolleyes:

Thanks, :hmm:

Toby.

Edit: Btw, i'm now hooked on it and the game keeper I shoot for is planting 60 acres of rape this winter :hmm:

Edited by Tobyb525

It could only take one pellets mate - in the head. But there's no way of guaranteeing that.

When I first started pigeon shootign I used to shoot with skeet chokes in both barrels, but found that I was hitting them but not killing them cleanly. I wasn't happy with that, so I moved up to cylinder and cylinder chokes.... a bit of difference with more birds being killed outright, but it's still not perfect.

So now I'm on half and half in both barrels and that's a massive improvement with 9 out of 10 dropping stone dead (I don't risk long shots over 40 yards), and any that are flapping around or even walking away after they've crash landed get another cartridge - that does the trick.

Toby , there is nothing wrong with you shells , or choke. When you hit the bird in the head neck area , its wings will close , and its dead in the air. When you pick it there will be hardly a feather out of place , and usually no blood. When you wing them they might have a little or alot of blood on them.

To avoid getting covered , hold the wings closed in your left hand , then with your right , turn the head around until you feel the neck tighten , then it will break, it just takes practice , but never swing the bird around by the head.

Your cartridges should do the job nicely mate it is all down to putting the pattern in the right place - it may be you are not giving them enough lead or maybe to much so you are only catching the bird with the edge of the pattern.

I know some people who shoot pigeons with 9 shot 24 gram cartridges and can kill birds consitantly out to over 40 yards and they all say it is all down to putting the pattern in the right place.

As for dispatching a wounded bird I always use a priest or a branch because it is quick and clean + you dont mess up the neck band etc.

but never swing the bird around by the head.

I found out the hard way first time i tried i did as have done to pheasant in the past and chicken on the farm. It scared the hell out of me when the body flew away and all that was left in my hand was the head :good:

George

Your cartridges should do the job nicely mate it is all down to putting the pattern in the right place - it may be you are not giving them enough lead or maybe to much so you are only catching the bird with the edge of the pattern.

I know some people who shoot pigeons with 9 shot 24 gram cartridges and can kill birds consitantly out to over 40 yards and they all say it is all down to putting the pattern in the right place.

As for dispatching a wounded bird I always use a priest or a branch because it is quick and clean + you dont mess up the neck band etc.

as above a branch or a priest

i must have twisted pigeons neck yesterday about 6 times and it still did not die :P and it bit me :) was like "tom come kill this" think next time i will take my priest :good:

pressure point is simple easy and humane you can see it where the feathers change on the back much simpler than whacking them and the second cartridge spoils the meat.

i must have twisted pigeons neck yesterday about 6 times and it still did not die :P and it bit me :) was like "tom come kill this" think next time i will take my priest :good:

pressure point is simple easy and humane you can see it where the feathers change on the back much simpler than whacking them and the second cartridge spoils the meat.

need a photo I suppose but I thought everybody knew about it? Basicly cradle the bird in your hand and place your thumb a bout 1 and a half inches behind where the wings join the back you will notice the feather pattern changes and by pressing down firmly but gently you will feel the back break and a couple ofvseconds later a dead pigeon

I have posted the pics of the pressure point on a new post as I can't seem to upload them here probably me though duhhh......

.............slightly off topic, but I dont seem to have the upload feature any more....wheres it gone???