Large Calibre Rifles

christy_stone

Just been looking around gun trader and having a look at some rifles i dont have a FAC only a SGC but just out of pure interest i stumbled across this beast: http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/Det...al+1&Filter[NewType][]=Rifle&Filter[NewMechanism][]=Bolt%20Action&Filter[Calibre][]=.50%20BMG

I mean surely that would be one hell of a job to convince your FEO to allow you to buy one of those. I dont know much about rifles but could someone please tell me what a valid reason would be to be allowed to posess one of them, cos it aint gonna be for bunnies and im pritty sure it would make any big game look like an explosion at the heinz factory :good:

Edited by christy_stone

Is it possible for someone to try this out before making an investment? Like could you pre-arrange to show up at an organised shoot as a 'maybe want to take this up as a sport' person and give it a go? Just curious

Yes, I believe you could come to a Guest Day where an RFD is present and try out their rifles. They really are great fun to shoot!

Oh i agree totally, used safely why not,wouldn't mind a go ogf one myself, but where does it stop? Bazookas :good: . Only joking but why the need for 50 cals?

What are they classed to be used for, officially? Surly for military puposes?

Scott

Scott, they are simply section 1 TARGET RIFLES. Nothing fancy, since when shot with section 1 ammunition, they are no different to a scaled up .308. There are few other rifles that you can accurately engage targets out to 2,500+ yards with :good:

Those of us that shoot them, represent 'The thin edge of the wedge'. Once they take them away, well then time to start working on removing magnum cartridges, then larger non magnums etc etc until all we are left with is a few 'professionals' who have .243's for deer......It is all to easy for a .50 ban to come into effect, since most people will not defend owning them because they don't ever envisage using one. Then by the time there own 'smaller' calibers are in danger of a ban the snowball has grown too large to stop.

Edited by Tiff-TRG

Oh i agree totally, used safely why not,wouldn't mind a go ogf one myself, but where does it stop? Bazookas :yahoo: . Only joking but why the need for 50 cals?

What are they classed to be used for, officially? Surly for military puposes?

Scott

You mean guns are supposed to be used for military purposes ? :oops: All guns or just the 50BMG ? You ask whrre does it stop ? Well where does it begin ?

Aslong as its safe and justified, then I see no reason why you shouldn't have one :oops: Only problem being they prob cost a bloody fortune to shoot :oops:

I personally do not think that there is anything wrong with them, aslong as there used safely and wouldnt mind having ago myself i just started this thread because i am pritty new to the whole shooting scene and did not realise you could own a gun with a calibre of that size.

how much would a loaded .50bmg bullet cost?

Each millitary ball round costs around £2 - £3. You can reload with a A-Max or turned solid for £3.50p to £5. Also tracers and flash on impact are around £4-£5 a piece. So not cheap, but not terrible either.

Scott, they are simply section 1 TARGET RIFLES. Nothing fancy, since when shot with section 1 ammunition, they are no different to a scaled up .308. There are few other rifles that you can accurately engage targets out to 2,500+ yards with :P

Those of us that shoot them, represent 'The thin edge of the wedge'. Once they take them away, well then time to start working on removing magnum cartridges, then larger non magnums etc etc until all we are left with is a few 'professionals' who have .243's for deer......It is all to easy for a .50 ban to come into effect, since most people will not defend owning them because they don't ever envisage using one. Then by the time there own 'smaller' calibers are in danger of a ban the snowball has grown too large to stop.

Tiffs way of thinking is pretty spot on I think. We should all back all kinds of shooting sports no matter whether we take part in them or not. I don't shoot a .50, neither would I really like to as I find long range targets the most boring form of shooting ever! Plinking at knockdown military ranges is fun, but not at £2 per round! That said I would fight to my last breath to save the .50 from a ban. I respect that fellow shooters really do enjoy owning them and we should all stick together. That way we all stand a good chance of holding on to whatever part of the sport we ourselves enjoy. :good:

Tiffs way of thinking is pretty spot on I think. We should all back all kinds of shooting sports no matter whether we take part in them or not. I don't shoot a .50, neither would I really like to as I find long range targets the most boring form of shooting ever! Plinking at knockdown military ranges is fun, but not at £2 per round! That said I would fight to my last breath to save the .50 from a ban. I respect that fellow shooters really do enjoy owning them and we should all stick together. That way we all stand a good chance of holding on to whatever part of the sport we ourselves enjoy. :bye2:

spot on, wise words indeed :yes:

What you have to remember too is large calibre rifle shooting is a discipline all in itself, and i can attest that at the ranges these rifles can go out to it takes alot of skill and is very challenging. You are looking at a whole new ballgame with a .50cal, also as mentioned SO MUCH FUN!!!!