Handguns banned in Ireland.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/ah...law-419908.html

Justice Minister Dermot Ahern has signed new gun control legislation into law.

The act bans handguns in Ireland and also introduces a requirement for referees, background medical checks and standards for the safe keeping of guns in the home for all firearms licence applicants.

It also makes it an offence to brandish a realistic imitation firearm in public.

Mr Ahern says the legislation is designed to halt the emergence of a gun culture in Ireland.

Edited by Dr_Scholl

I'm amazed that John G, Babby and the remainder of the Irish contingent haven't flagged this up today! Did this legislation (assuming it's been reported accurately) just creep up unnoticed?

No, it didn't. They( the Irish government) had been talking about this since last summer I believe.

Edited by Dr_Scholl

This has been a hot topic of debate over the past few weeks with myself and a few friends. Theres a good side to it though. We up here get the opportunity to purchase cheap second hand handguns :rolleyes: but on the other hand I really feel for our southern counterparts. It seems that gun control just cant be strict enough down there.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...&hl=handgun

It's especially galling to see people in Northern Ireland allowed handguns - all through the troubles too I might add. They can also reload legally where we can't.

John, I can understand your frustration and that of others when you highlight this irony, with the troubles in the past and some problems which still exist with disidents etc. This I believe to be down to the vigourous policing of legal firearms in Northern Ireland through that troubled time by the now defunct RUC and current PSNI. I also believe it only to be a matter of time until we in NI can only legally hold .22 hand guns or worse still NONE.

Do you remember FD a fair while back a gun dealer was robbed around the border in NI somewhere and also one in Donegal. "Authorities" (so called) here went mental, end of the world etc hand guns evil, glocks are spawn of Satan kind of thing.

Meanwhile, across the border, what do the PSNI do? "Please ensure you keep your guns locked up when not in use".

Through the bloody looking glass or what.

And by the way, my comment on handguns and reloading was in no way to begrudge ye lads who can do it :rolleyes:

Whenever politicians push for a ban, they always seem to demonize a certain group or sub group of firearms,

In the U.K it was the oh so terrible 9mm. In Ireland, it was Glock pistols.

Over here in the states, it's changed over the decades, but right now it's .50 caliber rifles, so called armor piercing pistols(FN five seven), and assault weapons somewhat. Though hysteria over the latter has died down over the last several years.

Edited by Dr_Scholl

I'm amazed that John G, Babby and the remainder of the Irish contingent haven't flagged this up today! Did this legislation (assuming it's been reported accurately) just creep up unnoticed?

not being pedantic but i could tell you more about what happens in latvia that down south... :rolleyes:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...&hl=handgun

Babby will understand when I say a pair of breeding rats would be too good for them.

:rolleyes:

Do you remember FD a fair while back a gun dealer was robbed around the border in NI somewhere and also one in Donegal. "Authorities" (so called) here went mental, end of the world etc hand guns evil, glocks are spawn of Satan kind of thing.

Meanwhile, across the border, what do the PSNI do? "Please ensure you keep your guns locked up when not in use".

think it was Fermanagh direction that guy was robbed, been a few robberies near me in Armagh too. just one of these things you have to put up with over here. the police tell everyone that if someone comes to your house looking your guns hand them over, dont try any heroics then ring the police asap :P there was a spate of robberies around the end of last year, i just told katya not to answer the door at night unless im there, and made sure she knew where the keys to the cabinet and stuff were just incase. and i always left the two rottweilers running loose in the back garden, first to secure it and secondly so she just had to open one door to fill the house with 16 stone's worth of very protective dogs :lol: :lol:

Ha-ha-ha-hahaaa

You have no haaand guns!

Just like us poor ********

You've got to nothing to lord over us anymore!

sorry mate, youre making the classic english mistake of confusing the replublic of ireland with northern ireland :rolleyes:

thanks to the terrorists hand guns are still allowed here in ni :lol: ill let you come and visit when i buy my .357 colt python.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

sorry mate, youre making the classic english mistake of confusing the replublic of ireland with northern ireland :rolleyes:

thanks to the terrorists hand guns are still allowed here in ni :lol: ill let you come and visit when i buy my .357 colt python.... :rolleyes:

when you find a python let me know babby. i`d give my hind teeth for one.

when you find a python let me know babby. i`d give my hind teeth for one.

one of those friend of a friend situations mate, didnt see it myself, the guy was an ex royal marine, he had a .357 python and a .22 beretta pistol as well. tho it shouldnt be too hard getting one, i would have thought tannyoky could get you one? i know gavin and i were talking about ppw's one day and he told me he could get most pistols, plus i know smyths in newry got dad his .44 smith and wesson, but that was over 20 years ago :rolleyes:

colt stopped making the python so they are hard come across. no probs with a 44 have used one numerous times. go for a glock 9mm. cheap to fodder. :o

hmm looks like ill have to settle for a desert eagle then, dammit :yes::lol:

na tbh im not big into handguns, was just takin the **** outta bleeh really :yes:, my next purchase will probly be an sks over in latvia but im sure ill get a handgun sometime in the future :D

hmm looks like ill have to settle for a desert eagle then, dammit :yes: :o

na tbh im not big into handguns, was just takin the **** outta bleeh really :yes:, my next purchase will probly be an sks over in latvia but im sure ill get a handgun sometime in the future :D

you will have to join a club and do a years probation in order to get one,as far as i`m aware you can only get up to.48"so that rules out a desert eagle too.i have just completed my year :lol:

ill let you come and visit when i buy my .357 colt python.... :o

You'd be better off with a S&W 686 or 586 depending on whether you like stainless or blued. Both me and Lorraine had them and never had any problems with them at all. The 686 eventually wears down to almost a mirror finish if you clean it enough. :yes: :yes: