shooting glasses

b325

went to my local ground today and decided to wear some shooting glasses for the first time. well i shot well below my normal score and never felt comfortable wearing them. the thing is i would like to shoot some cpsa reg targets and have been told i need to wear glasses to be allowed to shoot them.

any advice is most welcome

What colour were they? I tried the yellow lenses and they were way too bright. I stick with the darker red ones all year round. Or was it just the style you weren't happy with? Trawl a few gun shops and try some different ones on.

But, yes, as said they are worth it. You might go years without a bit of clay even coming close to you but once is all it takes to screw your eye sight up.

In the last 18 months I've been whacked in the noggin/body by a piece of clay 3 times. I don't know if I'm just unlucky, or I have a big noggin, but 1 in particular was on line for the eye area but was deflected by the peak of my cap. It was still a sizable impact and my buddies heard it clearly and asked if I were ok.

Personally I wouldn't be shooting or spectating without proper shooting shades/glasses. The eye is a particularly delicate bag of mush and goo and it won't take much for 20/20 hindsight to be the only sight in that eye you enjoy if a freak accident happens. It only needs to happen once, then it's all over.

Edited by Peter De La Mare

I have to admit, I have a similar issue with glasses feeling uncomfortable. I tended to only wear glasses when there was a specific reason, i.e. looking into the sun or incoming clays but since taking up practical shooting I have been wearing them more often (shotgun or mini/gallery rifle steel plates/skittles ricochet risks etc.) and the more I wear them the less I notice them, it's just a matter of getting used to it.

I think your main point was about CPSA shoots.

http://www.cpsa.co.uk/hearing---eye-protection

Eye Protection

Shooting glasses, as from January 1st 2004, are mandatory whilst shooting or in the company of shooters at all registered shoots. Glasses will not only protect your eyes from stray pieces of broken clay but also from falling lead and any gun malfunctions. Glasses can be additionally beneficial in difficult light conditions, with appropriately tinted lenses.

CPSA Eye Protection Policy: The wearing of adequate and effective visible eye protection by shooters, trappers, officials and spectators at or around any shooting position at all Registered events is mandatory from 1st January 2004. It is recommended that this protection be to a minimum standard of BSEN 166 F details of which are available by clicking here.

Given that you need them, set about getting the most comfortable etc.

End of debate about whether or not.

Edited by Gordon R

just as likely to get gravel in your eye from the road or when riding a bike.

I got the tip of a pencil stuck in my eye once when drawing a spider. It scarred the eye and I can see the line at all times now. do I where glasses when I use a pencil? no.

if you can try some oakleys or hidefspex, I have the former with loads of lenses but only use 2 of them for clays, light orange with the iridium coating and the slighter darker orange with coating, they are optically correct and brighten up things quite amazingly !.

M.

I think your main point was about CPSA shoots.

http://www.cpsa.co.uk/hearing---eye-protection

Eye Protection

Shooting glasses, as from January 1st 2004, are mandatory whilst shooting or in the company of shooters at all registered shoots. Glasses will not only protect your eyes from stray pieces of broken clay but also from falling lead and any gun malfunctions. Glasses can be additionally beneficial in difficult light conditions, with appropriately tinted lenses.

CPSA Eye Protection Policy: The wearing of adequate and effective visible eye protection by shooters, trappers, officials and spectators at or around any shooting position at all Registered events is mandatory from 1st January 2004. It is recommended that this protection be to a minimum standard of BSEN 166 F details of which are available by clicking here.

Given that you need them, set about getting the most comfortable etc.

End of debate about whether or not.

As an aside, (and putting the rights and wrongs to one side for a moment) do many grounds enforce this?

I don't shoot anywhere near as many registered comps as I used to, now only shooting a few local-ish grounds but I can honestly say that I have never known anyone enforce this rule. :rolleyes:

I don't like wearing glasses, but I'm gradually coming round to thinking that my luck is going to run out soon. I've been whacked on the head and in the face with lumps of clay many times, sometimes quite painfully :rolleyes:

Today as I was looking up at a clay, I was hit between the eyes by a piece of stray shot coming down. If that had been a bit lower and to one side or the other, it would probably have ******** my eye up.

I've started shooting more competitions these days, so I might as well start wearing them. I wore them at Coniston last week and hated them at first, but by the end of the course, I'd forgotten about them, so they don't take much getting used to. I would imagine they would be a nuisance in humid or rainy weather, but I suppose everybody would be in the same boat :rolleyes:

Edited by Chard

just as likely to get gravel in your eye from the road or when riding a bike.

I got the tip of a pencil stuck in my eye once when drawing a spider. It scarred the eye and I can see the line at all times now. do I where glasses when I use a pencil? no.

Cylists wear shades whenver I see them competing.

Are you trying to use your pencil experience to justify to yourself that there's no point in wearing glasses when shooting? Or doing anything for that matter?

Cylists wear shades whenver I see them competing.

Are you trying to use your pencil experience to justify to yourself that there's no point in wearing glasses when shooting? Or doing anything for that matter?

sort of, more about weighing up the risks.

working under a rusty/ dirty car? yeh i wear glasses, there is a high likelyhood that something is going to land in my eye. drilling? the same. breaking clays - there is usually (dependent on target type) a huge space for the bits of clay to go and the likelyhood (IMO) is that it is unlikely that I am gonna get a bit in the eye.

Yes it happens, but people win the lottery and people get hit by meteorites too.

I found the restrictive inview when I just used normal safety glasses ......yes I am a tight ****

However bought some Beretta Branded glasses with interchangable lenses and wouldn't be seen without them now indeed I actually think they help

It is important to use glasses that are optically correct, this usually eliminates the cheap and nasty ones. Wear the glasses and alternately raise and lower them over your eyes.Objects should appear in the same place whether you are looking through the glasses or not.The cheapest ones I have found that are optically correct are simple Beretta ones,full retail is about £30 but they are usually on E-Bay for about £12.50.

I have been 'shot' in the eye - well infact i was caught by a slither from a ricochet,

nothing to do with clay shooting......

but the outcome could be the same, i have a damaged retina and a hole in my eye, and slight burning and scaring. i was lucky i glanced down before the impact, (probably helped by the dust and rubish kicking up)

I used to have 20/20 comercial pilot vision but not now but i could be blind so im lucky

I always wear glasses to clay shoot and will continue to do so and to save anymore damage to my eyes,

To put it bluntly i would advise anyone shooting at all to wear glasses

What ever glasses you get boys make sure they match your eye shadow and dont clash with your skeet vest ,you dont want to look a *** now ,do you .

Harnser .

Don't be silly,I wouldn't be seen actually wearing the glasses Harnser. Obviously I pop them on the top of my head. That way they don't interfere with my big eye lashes. One has to have to proper attire don't you know.

Don't be silly,I wouldn't be seen actually wearing the glasses Harnser. Obviously I pop them on the top of my head. That way they don't interfere with my big eye lashes. One has to have to proper attire don't you know.

One set being worn, the other on the head to look ultra cool :yes: