pigeon knife

james w

what do you look for in a pigeon breasting knife :good: ? i make custom knives as a hobby and although i have breasted a fair few pigeons in my time, i don't do enough to know what shape is best. the reason I'm asking is because i asked the airgun centre (local air gun shop) if they would stock my knives :good: , they said no because of all the chavs trying to bye them but were more than happy to take a card . i now there is alot of hunters that go in there and if they are spending £300+ on and air gun i think the should be happy to pay £50+ for a knife (hopefully).

To be honest, any knife will do the job fine. I just need one to make a slice under the breast plate to take the breast off.

I can understand having a knife that's designed for gralloching a deer, as you need a good knife that can do different things. However I can't see a 'pigeon knife' hitting the shelves any time soon.

"i just use any sharp enough knife i have with me, dont need anything special. and as for £50 for a knife"

£50 is pennys for a hand made knife :oops: when you get around the £2000 mark your getting a bit silly :good: asking on other forums as well as pw it would seem that a filleting or boning knife is what people want

thanks for all the replies

Edited by james w

If you are doing the job at home, a decent or even basic sharp knife will do the job. Pigeon skin and meat arent that tough (unless its been cooked by me ofcourse). A filleting or boning style knife will be the best shape as they can be used very accurately.

In the field, I use a swiss army knife as they fold away safely and have some extra tools that look cool but are never really used.

I would love a £200 Swedish handmade fixed blade knife, but not enough to spend £200 on one :hmm: I wouldn't spend more than £30 on something to use outdoors, because chances are, I will loose it.

so you people who say they wouldn't spend more the £20 on a knife to use in the field and its function over fashion, how much did you pay for your daystates and falcon pcps witch look beautiful though a cheaper springer would work just as well in the field? :yes:

my point is why do you spend hundreds of £££ on one tool that looks nice and is developed especially for a purpose and is mas produced and you wont spend £50 on another tool which is hand made and is developed especially for another purpose and looks nice? :good:

so you people who say they wouldn't spend more the £20 on a knife to use in the field and its function over fashion, how much did you pay for your daystates and falcon pcps witch look beautiful though a cheaper springer would work just as well in the field?

my point is why do you spend hundreds of £££ on one tool that looks nice and is developed especially for a purpose and is mas produced and you wont spend £50 on another tool which is hand made and is developed especially for another purpose and looks nice?

:yes:

I use a Frosts Clipper I bought at the game fair a couple of years ago for £8. Nuthin fancy but good for pigeon, bunnies and deer.

:yes:

Somebody of here recommended this knife so I purchased one, for the money excellent value. Sharpening with a whetstone keeps it razorsharp but if you can't be bothered doing that they're cheap enough to just buy a new one.

£50 for a knife to do what exactly ? for that price i would want to press a button and the knife skins and breast the bird on its self ! as said by others any knife can do the job for pigeons !

and as for the comment about people spending X amount on guns and your responce saying a cheap springer would do the same job Do u actually shoot your self? as you would no that comment was bull ****

I have a bsa supersport with a nikko 4-12X50 mountmaster and no it is not ******** and my reply wasn't either, it is true. But anyway I apologise for starting this argument, I shouldn't have started it in the first place we don’t want another jamie1 :yes: though i stand by what i said. i can understand, being a shooter my self, why you would want to spend lots of money on a gun. i would love to spend £700 on a gun if i had £700 though i would also like to spend that on a hand made sword of knife.

as i said before £50 is pennies for a hand made knife £2000 is a lot.

Thank you for the replies though the rude ones you can stuff somewhere. Take a look on the bsaog forum for the end result those of you who care :yes: .

Edited by james w

i have made a few knives with antla handles that that i got at the game fair. i havent got alot and it can be quite expencive so i ownly use it on blades that i realy like. when i can be bothered i'll go to the pet shop and bye a bit of bone for a handle but i dont like working with bone so i dont do it much, though i do use some cow horn that i got in france for free from a farmer for guards and stuff but it stinks when you work it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We I spent £80 on my knife made from tool steel, I sharpen it on a water stone, it has to be the best knife I have ever had and the sharpest.

I use it for everything.

So £50 for a hand made knife is not a bad price.

Would be nice to get a photo of some of your work.

Edited by pg2008

I have a 25 yr old Kershaw that I was given as a teenager, fantastic knife and still good as new really but I have lost count of the times I have put it down whilst gutting and left it there. The last time was when we had snow and it was lost under it for nearly a fortnight so I think next time I will get a knife I can afford to lose.

As far as dressing pigeons go I get packs of four kitchen/veg knives from Morrisons for £1 that are sharp and bendy and ideal for taking the breastmeat off. No need for anything else.