Wasps

starlight32

Wasps have their uses.

Leave an empty 2 litre coke bottle somewhere sunny and wait until you have between 10 and 20 inside. Now quickly pop the lid back on, and give it a shake to get them nice and angry.

Once you have done this, loosen the lid until it is ready to fall off, and throw the lot into a mate's room. Now hold the door shut and enjoy the screams and thrashings from within. Even better if you wait until your friend is asleep.

ZB

Oh the wacky things they teach at boarding school. :good:

Wasps have their uses.

Leave an empty 2 litre coke bottle somewhere sunny and wait until you have between 10 and 20 inside. Now quickly pop the lid back on, and give it a shake to get them nice and angry.

Once you have done this, loosen the lid until it is ready to fall off, and throw the lot into a mate's room. Now hold the door shut and enjoy the screams and thrashings from within. Even better if you wait until your friend is asleep.

ZB

Zapp Brannigan, there - the face of responsible moderating.

:good:

Trap an angry wasp or two in a cigar tube, and you have a thoughtful gift for the lady in your life.

LS

Not entirely sure if wasps pollenate plants or not, but i remember reading an article somewhere a while back now which, basically said that if all bee's were removed off the earth today, life would cease to exist completly within 3 years. This is due to the fact that bee's pollenate plants which effectivly are at the bottom of the food chain, so no bee's no new plants, meaning eventually (presumeably after 3 years) all plants would be no longer removing the basis of the food chain.

Cant verify if there is any truth behind this but it does make sense. My argument for the truth in it is marine life??? surly if we all started fishing, we'd be fine ;-)

I got stung by a wasp whilst on holiday in Zante in June, walking along the beach and stood on a wasp, stung my second to big toe :good::oops::hmm::P :P :P :o

Loads on 'em Starlight.

We've also had plague levels of Cabbage White butterfly. When I was out to sea 3 miles off the other week there were thousands drifting inshore off the sea. Millions of bishy barnaby about this year as well.

Chuffin' thousands of ladybirds about too.

I popped in to Blakeney today and stopped off at Cley and there were zillions of bishy bishy barnaby's (ladybirds) about. They took a shine to my silver motor, yet the red and blue ones either side hardly had one settle. I had a natter with B the warden. Apparently there has been loads of aphids about this year and the ladybirds are stuffed solid!

A couple of pics below:

bishy1.jpg

bishy2.jpg

Last year I dealt with a wasps nest using an aerosol can of poison. I got a beekeeper's outfit, climbed out on the roof at about 9pm, and sprayed this stuff directly in the nest entrance. It killed enough of them overnight to make our garden safe again, and I think they abandoned the nest after another couple of days.

This year I'm faced with a much bigger nest about 100m away under a thick bramble patch - presumably underground. The number of wasps is so high that I'm more nervous this time.

What does anyone recommend? Same tactic? Or perhaps the rodenator - assuming I can hire one?

I've found the complete opposite, last year there were millions of wasps, this year just one in the house!

Same with the flying beatles, they were an absolute pain in the a**e not one this year, very strange.

Edited by tjmoore

its crawling with wasps round here, went round my mates the other night for a chat, he's got a lovely early fruiting plum tree in his garden hanging with fruit, we spent 15 minutes trying to find one to eat that didnt have a wasp in it, they come about 1/2 a mile to get to his, his lad followed some home on his bike to a large bramble bush in an old meadow down the road where they have an underground nest, i didnt think they would travel that far

mikee

don,t think i,ve seen half a dozen this year.had a nest under the eaves two years ago.no sign in the attic so covered the entrance with nest destroyer powder in a couple of days no more wasps.autumn was the worst time at the golf course(work) they used to get drunk eating over ripe apples, seems it fermented in there stomaches.chavy wasps with attitude.