Hide setting

danccooke

I have a set of four poles with kick plates. i have some 3d netting and some real tree single skin netting.

I normally like to set a three pole hide, on pole in front of me and the behind and in the hedge. having the single skin (stealht) net tight round the hide and the 3d stuff drapped, when it goes right it looks good, but recently I am struggling with either wind (no sniggering) or when i stand on the poles to put them in the ground the lean seriously one direction or t'other.

I have made make shift guy ropes in the past but is it just me that is having issue or do some of you suffer sometimes too.

Two days ago I was just setting up as two other who have permission started setting up around the field too. typically this was a day i was having issue and thinking Oh God they can see me acting like a total noob. Just happy that the first few shots dropped birds on a 1:1 ratio. Hopefully letting them know that i might not be able to make a hide but at least i can shoot :good: (morel likely they weren't even paying attention but watching thier own patter but the paranoia faeries were circling)

Edited by danccooke

Having trouble getting hide poles into the ground just happens at certain times of the year, the kick plates help, but its something we all suffer.

Having one net tight as you describe, is going to put more strain on the poles and encourage them to lean.

Why not try having both nets loose and draped.

Doing anything in front of an audience is a recipe for disaster, I had to change a wheel in a busy High Street many years ago and making such a mess of it that passing old ladies were offering to help. :lol::good:

i allways used to have problems with setting up my hide, untill i made a frame out of old tent poles that click in to my 4 hide poles and even in strong wind it stands up well i put a pole in the middle so i can put a net on top when crow shooting. heres the hide with no nets attached.

hideframe.jpg

I got a load of cheap clothes lines. Took the inner pole out and fitted another ''G'' hook to the other end, so you have a pole with 2 ''G'' hooks, one at each end. I made 3 of them.

These will then clip around the thin part (just above the height adjuster locking nut) of my (UKshootwarehouse) hide poles, making a strong frame, which I then drape my net around.

Will hold up in strong winds and keep the poles upright no problems :hmm:

Hope this makes sence :oops:

Chris

Edited by chrispti

• 1 month later...