new pigeon magnet

mikee

iv used a magnet with varying success, some days they work well and some days they don't. to be honest tho i hate carrying the thing any distance the magnet and batt can get quite heavy, 1 way of adding movement to the pattern i have found is to use the hypa flappers from the magnet and use them on bouncer. it worked well and a lot lighter to carry

Edited by richie76

Take a look at the offers at UKShootwarehouse, they have some very good deals at the moment and you know you can trust their equipment.

Don't forget your PW discount.

Yes, the build quality is very good and their prices are reasonable, I'm very happy with mine and wouldn't be without it, well worth the time and effort as they certainly pull birds in that would otherwise float on by.

Cat.

this will be the 3rd one, ive got a light weight model at the moment but fancied something with longer arms that spins a bit quicker, i dont always put a magnet out but i always take it, this time of year they are better than late winter when less you birds are about and theyve all seen one or two magnets and been shot at a few times, i saw a model with an 11' span which looked interesting as it had 3 arms

mikee

I have an 'old type' rotary from Decoying in Wigan, which I find works very well. I think its based on a Landrover wiper motor and it has variable length arms. If the birds are shying away from the rotary I find two carrier bags at the far end of the field works well to at least stop pigeons landing in that area!

I also use an 'original' flapper which adds excellent movement to the pattern, I usually place this at the point of the pattern.

Most days a few shell decoys and a couple of 4ft floaters with dead birds on them works well.

Sometimes I replace the dead birds (if its windy enough) with hyperflapper flock decoys, again for movement in the pattern.

I've just taken delivery of a couple of Terminator floaters and I'm looking forward to trying them out

Magnets are a waste of time as pigeons now shy away from them alot of the time.

Ive found flappers work better.

Not a statement I can endorse?

I am an avid believer in the term use what works on the day, far to often I see pigeon shooters root themselves to the spot and stick with the first pattern and set of gear that they can be bothered to put out, equally I have seen and know of pigeon shooters who set up hoping to get birds that are not actually there!! to fly over from a few miles away and oblige the expectant shooter? well it aint gonna happen is it?

First establish if birds are about and IF they are coming into or flying over the area you want to set your decoy's, set up a half decent pattern if that can be done with a couple of floaters to channel the birds in the deeks and into range, or if on standing crop try a few floaters on their own, anything that gives the big enticer MOVEMENT

If that fails try a couple of magnets on there own, if that fails MOVE, I am fortunate in that I carry everything all the time albeit in the back of my truck but it is always available, I use magnets with hypa's I use magnets with real birds ( I am actually convinced that the movement of hypa's has the edge over real birds on a magnet) but my first choice of weapon these days is couple of lightweight floaters, and random pattern of deeks right in front of my hide, not coventional but it does work for me.

So magnets and floaters get a big thumbs up from me and as for flappers ok they do give confidence to a committed bird (ask anyone who shoots crows) but they are simply that a confidence giver, they do not draw birds from distance, hence I rarely use flappers these days apart from shooting my favourite target the crow!!

so dont knock gear it all works on its said day, nothing but nothing works each day and everyday hence we have an abundance of woodies to go at :blink:

cheers KW