magpie experts

sapper063

does anybody have a link for making a larson trap?

There's no need. Double sided box. Hinged lid with a spring to close it (seen the ones used to close gates used to good effect) use a 'perch' made from a baton cut in half so it collapses when the new bird lands on it.

Kill the bird out of sight of the call bird or they say it stops calling.

have you any clumps of fir trees on your permission weve had good numbers in the winter time by shooting them coming into roost at dusk the fir trees seem to be the best but we have had good bags getting them coming into birch trees on a few bits of mossy/scrubland we shoot ,,2 years ago in 2 months we shot 99 magpies by going to various clumps of trees where the magpies roosted at

right ive managed to get hold of a larsen trap where do i place it to draw magpies in cheers

Google Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust and follow the links through the 'education & advice' tab

to 'frequently asked questions' to 'predation'. Here you should find the info. you need.

All the best :yes: Rob.

They have reached saturation point in towns. My son has shot six this year just in the garden and the numbers have increased. It seems for every two he kills we get another three in return. The local song birds have taken a real hammering the past two years. My father tried a larson trap, worked a treat. I think I will just give the boy a free hand with them though. they a clever birds though and they remember where they have been shot at, so you will be luck to get more than one or two at a time with an air rifle. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Out today sitting just in the woods in wait for bunnies on the field margin. Getting really dark - the trees a black silhouette against the sky.

Normally I can't get within 200 yards of a magpie, no exaggeration. But in the low light conditions they couldn't see me at all! A few of them flew over me and settle in the trees around me.

I swivelled round and fiddled with the parallax to set it to the 10 yards that it was away (literally!) and even with that movement they still didn't move.

HMR at 10 yards really does the business on em :good:

So I will try and get at them in low light from now on - not so sharp eyed then.

Edited by George1990

Out today sitting just in the woods in wait for bunnies on the field margin. Getting really dark - the trees a black silhouette against the sky.

Normally I can't get within 200 yards of a magpie, no exaggeration. But in the low light conditions they couldn't see me at all! A few of them flew over me and settle in the trees around me.

I swivelled round and fiddled with the parallax to set it to the 10 yards that it was away (literally!) and even with that movement they still didn't move.

HMR at 10 yards really does the business on em :good:

So I will try and get at them in low light from now on - not so sharp eyed then.

Shooting up trees with an .17HMR?