You think your day was bad??

Ozzy Fudd

Just had one of those days that fills you full of faith and trust for the police :good:

Im sitting in work this afternoon, just before 2pm, when a couple of the girls who work with me walked in looking concered. someone had left one of those hard plastic type travel suit cases beside our bin outside the office. now theres been quite a bit of trouble here lately, especially down our way - i posted links about terrorists manning a checkpoint and handing out leaflets to people a couple of weeks back (only a couple of miles from my office), also a 600lb bomb was diffused last week, again within a few miles. one of the girls told me to go take a look at it as "youre into all that guns and stuff", the other told me to open it and see what was in it! You can probably imagine my response to the suggestion of opening it, but i went out for a smoke and had a quick look - it was an old battered case but it had been set right beside our bin, to the side of the footpath. came back in thinking about it - theres no reason to bomb our office, but where we're situated is right beside one of the busiest junctions in town. a bomb here would cause major traffic chaos, especially as theres a few schools close by too. we didnt know what to do so we rang the hr dept and got a simple response - evacuate the office and ring the police immediately! :o

So i rang the police, a woman took my number and said someone would call me back, and stay away from the suitcase. 15 mins later a sergeant rang me, asked a few questions - had we received any phone calls, seen anything suspicious, or did we have cctv covering that area? no to all 3. ok he replied, we'll be back in touch. at this point im standing in the sop beside the office, looking at the suitcase 20 feet away. i told a few of the people that work round here what was going on, got them to move their cars incase it all got sealed off etc, all the while standing there waiting for the cops to arrive in a blaze of blue lights and screeching brakes. but they didnt. i kept waiting, but it was getting to the stage where i was having a shaun of the dead moment ("i dont care what the **** it is as long as it has big blue flashing lights and a siren") but nothing appeared. i saw one unmarked cop car out on patrol that drove past us twice, but they drove on.

Then i got one of the girls who works with me to ring the cops (incase they thought it was someone having a laugh, the more people who rang the more it would confirm it), they told her theyd ring her back, they were trying to get in touch with special branch to see if theyd heard anything, meanwhile school kids are walking back and forward past the case! finally about 4pm they rang my colleague back, this is the response she got

"we've checked the papers and theres no sign of any messages, we havnt received any warning phone calls and you say you havnt received any warning phone calls, so were not going to come out"

eh, YOU ******* WHAT?! :wub:

so the 3 of us trooped back into the office, really not happy with this situation - the case was still sitting there, i could see it 20 feet away through the window when i was sitting at my desk. so i did what i normally do in this sort of situation - i rang dad for his advice. his answer was simple - "those ******* civilians (the cops) know nothing, get your *** out of that place now incase it is something". right-o! next i rang hr and told them, the girl i spoke to was ex ta and she was as shocked as i was, told me to leave it with her as she was making a few phone calls to sort it, but if we werent happy then leave right away. then i played my trump card - i rang mum. yes, ok, i didnt expect mum to don a flak suit and open the case, but she went to school with one of the local mla's (our government members in stormont) and deals with him regularly through her work. he was in the assembly at the time, but she got one of the guys in his office and told him the situation, he couldnt believe what he was hearing! he said its very simple - "get the hell out and ill ring the police now and give them a ####ing! let me know if they dont appear within 15 minutes!"

so there we were, trooping back out of the office, closing the shutters, all the while eyeing the suitcase. suddenly a shifty looking guy wearing sunglasses walked across the road and lifted the case, and turned to walk off. i shouted at him "sorry, is that yours?" thinking if it was his id give him a mouthful for all the hassel he'd caused. he stopped and turned round to me and said "im inspector xxxxx from the psni, look, the case is empty" and then he SHOOK the ******* thing with me standing 15 feet away!!

obvioulsey the fact that im typing this means he was right, it was empty, but still it nearly was a brown trouser moment! not sure what everyone else is thinking reading this, but onyl for the fact i dont want to draw attention to myself (due to my gun licence) i would be putting a very big complaint in :lol::cry1::wub:

Edited by babbyc1000

Just had one of those days that fills you full of faith and trust for the police :good:

Im sitting in work this afternoon, just before 2pm, when a couple of the girls who work with me walked in looking concered. someone had left one of those hard plastic type travel suit cases beside our bin outside the office. now theres been quite a bit of trouble here lately, especially down our way - i posted links about terrorists manning a checkpoint and handing out leaflets to people a couple of weeks back (only a couple of miles from my office), also a 600lb bomb was diffused last week, again within a few miles. one of the girls told me to go take a look at it as "youre into all that guns and stuff", the other told me to open it and see what was in it! You can probably imagine my response to the suggestion of opening it, but i went out for a smoke and had a quick look - it was an old battered case but it had been set right beside our bin, to the side of the footpath. came back in thinking about it - theres no reason to bomb our office, but where we're situated is right beside one of the busiest junctions in town. a bomb here would cause major traffic chaos, especially as theres a few schools close by too. we didnt know what to do so we rang the hr dept and got a simple response - evacuate the office and ring the police immediately! :lol:

So i rang the police, a woman took my number and said someone would call me back, and stay away from the suitcase. 15 mins later a sergeant rang me, asked a few questions - had we received any phone calls, seen anything suspicious, or did we have cctv covering that area? no to all 3. ok he replied, we'll be back in touch. at this point im standing in the sop beside the office, looking at the suitcase 20 feet away. i told a few of the people that work round here what was going on, got them to move their cars incase it all got sealed off etc, all the while standing there waiting for the cops to arrive in a blaze of blue lights and screeching brakes. but they didnt. i kept waiting, but it was getting to the stage where i was having a shaun of the dead moment ("i dont care what the **** it is as long as it has big blue flashing lights and a siren") but nothing appeared. i saw one unmarked cop car out on patrol that drove past us twice, but they drove on.

Then i got one of the girls who works with me to ring the cops (incase they thought it was someone having a laugh, the more people who rang the more it would confirm it), they told her theyd ring her back, they were trying to get in touch with special branch to see if theyd heard anything, meanwhile school kids are walking back and forward past the case! finally about 4pm they rang my colleague back, this is the response she got

"we've checked the papers and theres no sign of any messages, we havnt received any warning phone calls and you say you havnt received any warning phone calls, so were not going to come out"

eh, YOU ******* WHAT?! :o

so the 3 of us trooped back into the office, really not happy with this situation - the case was still sitting there, i could see it 20 feet away through the window when i was sitting at my desk. so i did what i normally do in this sort of situation - i rang dad for his advice. his answer was simple - "those ******* civilians (the cops) know nothing, get your *** out of that place now incase it is something". right-o! next i rang hr and told them, the girl i spoke to was ex ta and she was as shocked as i was, told me to leave it with her as she was making a few phone calls to sort it, but if we werent happy then leave right away. then i played my trump card - i rang mum. yes, ok, i didnt expect mum to don a flak suit and open the case, but she went to school with one of the local mla's (our government members in stormont) and deals with him regularly through her work. he was in the assembly at the time, but she got one of the guys in his office and told him the situation, he couldnt believe what he was hearing! he said its very simple - "get the hell out and ill ring the police now and give them a ####ing! let me know if they dont appear within 15 minutes!"

so there we were, trooping back out of the office, closing the shutters, all the while eyeing the suitcase. suddenly a shifty looking guy wearing sunglasses walked across the road and lifted the case, and turned to walk off. i shouted at him "sorry, is that yours?" thinking if it was his id give him a mouthful for all the hassel he'd caused. he stopped and turned round to me and said "im inspector xxxxx from the psni, look, the case is empty" and then he SHOOK the ******* thing with me standing 15 feet away!!

obvioulsey the fact that im typing this means he was right, it was empty, but still it nearly was a brown trouser moment! not sure what everyone else is thinking reading this, but onyl for the fact i dont want to draw attention to myself (due to my gun licence) i would be putting a very big complaint in :lol::cry1::wub:

:wub: ..takes away all faith of the police...and if you were a bomber why say your going to bomb somewhere?

If they just did it, they would be alot harder to catch. I have that all the time down my end, they take forever to turn up to anything :(

Steve

Edited by stevethevanman

not to demean it babby but at a guess they're so used to bomb scares that they managed to discount yours on the phone. Not good from a public PR side but it would be interesting to know how many calls of that type they get each day, obviously enough that the copper felt fing to go and pick it up without checking anything.

Babby, I remember at the beginning of the troubles listening to the cops on a radio gram we had, (it would pick up the police and the ambulance service) anyway you would get a message from the cops saying something like, to all mobile units stay out of the North Belfast area there has been reports of shots being fired. Or, Rioting reported on the lower Falls all units return to base. Quite the opposite of what you would expect you know, the Cavalery riding in at the last minute to save the locals from the Indians. Nothing really has changed then.. :good:

not to demean it babby but at a guess they're so used to bomb scares that they managed to discount yours on the phone. Not good from a public PR side but it would be interesting to know how many calls of that type they get each day, obviously enough that the copper felt fing to go and pick it up without checking anything.

true, they did discount it (and turned otu to be right), but why not send someone out to pick it up and stop everyone panicking? there was an unmarked car already in the area. why wait until our bosses got in touch with their contacts in the police and i had got a local mla involved before sending someone to pick it up?

on top of that they discounted it because theyd received no warnings - ok, but who's to say the bombers (hypothetical) hadnt got around to calling it in? or were waiting til closer to 5pm to really ****** up the rush hour traffic?

Babby, I remember at the beginning of the troubles listening to the cops on a radio gram we had, (it would pick up the police and the ambulance service) anyway you would get a message from the cops saying something like, to all mobile units stay out of the North Belfast area there has been reports of shots being fired. Or, Rioting reported on the lower Falls all units return to base. Quite the opposite of what you would expect you know, the Cavalery riding in at the last minute to save the locals from the Indians. Nothing really has changed then.. :good:

yeah not the first time ive heard that, my ex was a cop and used to say if anything happened at the house we probably shouldnt hold our breath waiting for the cavalry to come storming in :good:

Edited by babbyc1000

I know its quietened down a lot since the peace accord over there but for the Police to totally ignore it for hours seems a bit sloppy. Sounds like things are ripe for an attack :good:

Mark

its not quietened down as much as theyre letting on mate! i can name half a dozen things that have happened in my area in the last month alone, not to mentioned unconfirmed (by the authorities) reports of soldiers being seen out and about in south armagh again... :good:

Edited by babbyc1000

More bomb alerts around Belfast this lunchtime. There's been rumours on the radio of soldiers patrolling in South Armagh. Apparently something big has been planned for this weekend.

ah for **** sake! me and richie are planning to hit the barley big style on saturday, out from 7am, turning phones off, 500 carts, decoys, cammo nets, etc. and guess where were shooting?

SOUTH ARMAGH :innocent:

its not quietened down as much as theyre letting on mate! i can name half a dozen things that have happened in my area in the last month alone, not to mentioned unconfirmed (by the authorities) reports of soldiers being seen out and about in south armagh again... :innocent:

If there are squadies out and about , you be careful when your out shooting . After all to them your just a man in camo with a gun.

If there are squadies out and about , you be careful when your out shooting . After all to them your just a man in camo with a gun.

believe me i wont be doing a mungler and talking them round, ill be chucking the gun and kissing dirt, and making sure im wearing my 95 shirt with the union flag on the left sleeve :P

hopefully its squaddies i run into though, if theyre wearing balaclava's then things could get messy :innocent:

makes you wonder why loyalist dissarmed :P , while these clowns are running about trying to start the war again but ive a mate who is well up in the police and he said that the rira/cira dont want the war on again cos they cant sustain a long war the same way the provos did 2nd they havnt the man power for it 3rd they might as well be mi5 thev that many touts in them and are full of hoods and joyriders and druggies all people the provos would of shot, and he said if they really wanted the war back again troops on the streets etc then all they have to do is take out a top loyalist or kill innocent prods in a no warning bomb then they would get their wish , the provos could stamp the dissidents out over nite but they know 1 wrong move and sinn feinn will lose all the BRIT money the are reaping :innocent:

i didnt think the uda had disarmed yet? :P

we were talking about this all the other day, we reckoned that if they wanted a war theyd just have to bomb a parade and kill a few orangemen or bandsmen (tho there was a bomb at the 12th in armagh...).

but god help them if they ever do, theyre getting plenty of peoples backs up as it is without doing that

yes, disarmed... :good:

by that you mean that they were put in a box in a hole somewhere?? :good:

i thought they were handed in and broke up? :hmm:

ah well wouldnt be too hard to rearm i suppose, especially with the eastern european mafia making connections here :lol:

Edited by babbyc1000