26 replies to this topic

#1 The Ghost

The Ghost
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1150 posts
  • Joined 14-November 12

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

I read this about Pigeons, no wonder they are messing with us so much...some humans I know can't do half of this.

Pigeons are considered to be one of the most intelligent birds on the planet and able to undertake tasks previously thought to be the sole preserve of humans and primates. The pigeon has also been found to pass the ‘mirror test’ (being able to recognise its reflection in a mirror) and is one of only 6 species, and the only non-mammal, that has this ability. The pigeon can also recognise all 26 letters of the English language as well as being able to conceptualise. In scientific tests pigeons have been found to be able to differentiate between photographs and even differentiate between two different human beings in a photograph when rewarded with food for doing so.

#2 kimh

kimh
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 07-October 12

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

instinct isn't intelligence?, evolution builds instinct, interaction creates intelligence and I bet that all the above test had a winning goal of food... fools gold

#3 Reece

Reece
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts
  • Joined 13-April 10

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Corvids are intelligent. Their brain is much bigger than other birds and they can recognise friendly and hostile faces, and hold a grudge for life. So if you shoot at one and miss, it will stay away from you for the rest of its life.
I saw a Jay involved in a test on TV. Something was floating on a glass of water and the bird couldn't reach it. There was a stone and a cork on the side. At first it put the cork in and it made no difference. Then it realised to put the stone in, raising the water level and allowing it to get whatever it was in the glass.

Not sure about pigeons though.

#4 JDog

JDog
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3128 posts
  • Joined 29-June 12

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

I had a girlfriend in the past who was a scientist. One day, after I had been bemoaning the fact that the pigeons had outsmarted me yet again, she got out a scalpel and dissected a pigeons head and she took out it's brain. It was smaller than a pea.

QED as they say in the scientific community.

#5 aris

aris
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4096 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I had a girlfriend in the past who was a scientist. One day, after I had been bemoaning the fact that the pigeons had outsmarted me yet again, she got out a scalpel and dissected a pigeons head and she took out it's brain. It was smaller than a pea.

QED as they say in the scientific community.

Did you remind her that size isn't everything? :yahoo:

#6 twitchynik

twitchynik
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1495 posts
  • Joined 25-August 10

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

They may or may not be.

What is interesting tho is if you shoot all the pigeons that come in to a magnet or flapper etc, the ones who are "fooled", then are you left with the ones who weren't tricked (therefore more intelligent?) resulting in offspring who will not be tricked by a whirly? Darwin theory, if you may.

#7 Gimlet

Gimlet
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2771 posts
  • Joined 15-March 11

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Brains, superb eyesight, built-in sat nav and good hearing too when you walk under their roost at night rabbit shooting. Just nature's way of compensating them for going so well with a red wine reduction with shallots.

#8 Go Go Gadget

Go Go Gadget
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Joined 14-December 09

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Its not intelligence, more education. Any animal can perform tricks if they are linked to rewards/food

#9 cockercas

cockercas
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2594 posts
  • Joined 06-June 10

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Corvids are intelligent. Their brain is much bigger than other birds and they can recognise friendly and hostile faces, and hold a grudge for life. So if you shoot at one and miss, it will stay away from you for the rest of its life.
I saw a Jay involved in a test on TV. Something was floating on a glass of water and the bird couldn't reach it. There was a stone and a cork on the side. At first it put the cork in and it made no difference. Then it realised to put the stone in, raising the water level and allowing it to get whatever it was in the glass.

Not sure about pigeons though.

Yer i saw that to. It was pretty good.

#10 chrispti

chrispti
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7770 posts
  • Joined 09-March 08

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

They're certainly not stupid.

#11 The Ghost

The Ghost
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1150 posts
  • Joined 14-November 12

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

The real point I was making was.....what do we know about the birds we shoot.
How long do they roost, what time do they head out for breakfast, do they come back to the roost site at 11am for a couple of hours things like that.
We go out to shoot this clever bird....set up a hide and wait...I always think it sits watching us saying...."He has no idea has he".

#12 chrispti

chrispti
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7770 posts
  • Joined 09-March 08

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

How long do they roost, what time do they head out for breakfast, do they come back to the roost site at 11am for a couple of hours things like that.
We go out to shoot this clever bird....set up a hide and wait...I always think it sits watching us saying...."He has no idea has he".

They may be sat thinking that, but who has the last laugh, I'm sat in his chow hall all day with a gun, he's going to get hungry sooner or later...........

#13 cooooper1

cooooper1
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 24-December 12

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

can`t believe both you think a pigeon talks :P

They may be sat thinking that, but who has the last laugh, I'm sat in his chow hall all day with a gun, he's going to get hungry sooner or later...........

don`t believe both you think pigeons talk :)

#14 motty

motty
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3229 posts
  • Joined 12-July 05

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

I'm sorry, pigeons are certainly not clever. I think they are pretty stupid.
Oh, and pigeons can't talk, either.

#15 The Ghost

The Ghost
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1150 posts
  • Joined 14-November 12

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

I'm sorry, pigeons are certainly not clever. I think they are pretty stupid.
Oh, and pigeons can't talk, either.

Should be easy to shoot 700 of them in a day then Motty....daft little beggers

#16 henry d

henry d
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17413 posts
  • Joined 24-August 04

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

I read this about Pigeons.............able to conceptualise.

Please do enlighten us.

#17 Northern Monkey

Northern Monkey
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined 17-February 13

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Please do enlighten us.

Should be easy to shoot 700 of them in a day then Motty....daft little beggers

I think we've established that Pigeons can't talk, reference has been made to them sitting in a tree & thinking, can they actually think or are they instinctive feeders like zombies?

#18 Thunderbird

Thunderbird
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6891 posts
  • Joined 02-December 09

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

I heard a couple of pigeons talking in a tree the other day, they were planning some sort of coup by the sound of it.

#19 RED BEARD

RED BEARD
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2513 posts
  • Joined 29-May 10

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

of course pigeons are clever,i shot one the other and when went to pick it up it had a half finished times crossword under its wing!

#20 Thunderbird

Thunderbird
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6891 posts
  • Joined 02-December 09

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

of course pigeons are clever,i shot one the other and when went to pick it up it had a half finished times crossword under its wing!

It can't have been that clever then, it was only half-finished.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users