Guns Taken after leaving the Mrs

gibspoon

I think it's more frequently reported by women but you ask a bunch of live apart dads whether they consider they've been subject to any of that list and 90% will say yes - except it's legal cause mums know best (apparently)

Sorry - we've creeped off topic.

Edited by JustJon

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abuse cuts both ways across the sexes (men are often too embarrassed to sort it and admit to anyone ) The smack round the head with the frying pan bears some truth I don't doubt and apparently and most important it aint an issue in this case as its amicable and the wife is not the complainant its some busy body officer at work

If things started to go a bit Pete Tong with the GF I'd send the guns straight to the RFD for storage, if only to protect myself from any vindictive and false accusations when the claws come out. Having your manager essentially force that on you as a pre-emptive public safety measure is a bit rich though. Why is it they always assume the bloke will loose control and get violent when it's often the GF who flips and goes postal? I bet your manager hasn't cleared her kitchen of sharp instruments has he! Oh let me guess, stabbing someone to death with a cooks knife isn't as emotive as using a gun to achieve the same result!

Edited by MartynGT4

What legal basis?

Concern for public safety

You are not an afo..... The job can poke out of your private life.

The firearms dept don't care if you are "in the job"they are following procedure

Get the fed on to this..... No revocation ?

They remove because of the 2 points above, being a policeman does not give you any privileges

What power of seizure?

Again the concern for public safety,they will play safe and remove until they are satisfied with their investigation and then will make the decision to return or not.

Police officers do a stressful job and meet some form of abuse on a daily basis,to add in a domestic break up is to increase the stress felt by that individual,it appears that his boss has done the correct thing and reported his situation up the line and the appropriate action has been taken while decisions are made.

You miss my point.

The police can not just seize your guns on an if or a but.

If they want them they can revoke your licence. Unless they are seized under a power S19 pace for example or warrant. Then they gave no right to enter your property and take your guns.

The fed is a nod to some legal protection.....

His boss has no business knowing what is in his home .

Edited by happypig

You miss my point.

The police can not just seize your guns on an if or a but.

If they want them they can revoke your licence. Unless they are seized under a power S19 pace for example or warrant. Then they gave no right to enter your property and take your guns.

The fed is a nod to some legal protection.....

His boss has no business knowing what is in his home .

No you miss the point,they can seize your guns on an if or a but,they do not have to revoke while they investigate,they can enter your property to remove again under the guise of the safety of the public,

His boss is a police officer, a person duty bound to report something that he believes may cause harm to persons,and did exactly what he should have done.

I split with my wife back in December and decided to put my guns into safe storage at the end of the season to eliminate any chance of accusations, it was amicable at first but then as things move on she's now gone nuts! As I'm told most do!

Not meaning to derail your topic but going back to the abuse, my wife came off the pill without telling me and we incidentally end up pregnant which clearly didn't help our problems! Is that not abusive in itself?

With respect you are wrong

All things need to come from somwhere.....

S17 pace under warrant.... Etc....

I have more than a little experience of these thjngs

I think you will find i also have experience of these things,and if they believe there is a threat of violence then they will remove your guns,and they will enter your property by force if you do not cooperate to remove them for the safety of the public.

So i presume you are a pc,probably firearms?

I am in the process of separating from my wife, I called my FEO when I knew it would be permanent.

We discussed the situation,regards and access/storage, he asked me to send my licences in for the change of address and said I just need to inform him if I store the guns in a different location.

It seems as if the OP's superior has taken a decision "in the public interest" possibly in light of recent events such as Whitehaven and Durham.

But this is all conjecture until he get's an explanation

All forces and even different FEO's have there own take on these situations, Advice from any shooting organisation you belong too would be my first pot of call.

Paul.

Welsh 1 I am afraid you are incorrect- the police do not have a general power to sieze his shotguns unless there is some evidence of an offence or under power of a warrant.

They can ask for them but cannot enforce seizure in these circumstances alone.

A wise move is to move them to an RFD for storage and then there can be no concerns about them - he does not have to tell the police where they are stored.

If asked he MAY choose to show them his empty cabinet but unless his shotgun certificate is revoked the police have no powers here.

You describe very different circumstances to the OP.

And yes.!

The op is splitting from his partner, there is usually tension in any sort of split, his superior must have a reason to inform the forearms dept,a change in attitude or work ethic maybe?but i am guessing,so the chance of violence is there so not so far away from my answer.

As some one who was stitched up by two police officers and had my weapons removed,i have a dam good idea of what happens I contacted my association who could give no advice except cooperate,i did and later when i had given many statements i brought up the right of access, the FEO was very to the point,and he told me they will and they have kicked down doors if you refuse them entry to remove your weapons,so if you have any questions you should direct them to Dyfed Powys firearms dept.

Welsh 1 I am afraid you are incorrect- the police do not have a general power to sieze his shotguns unless there is some evidence of an offence or under power of a warrant.

They can ask for them but cannot enforce seizure in these circumstances alone.

A wise move is to move them to an RFD for storage and then there can be no concerns about them - he does not have to tell the police where they are stored.

If asked he MAY choose to show them his empty cabinet but unless his shotgun certificate is revoked the police have no powers here.

You give a scenario where they have been moved to an rfd,if they are in your house and they come knocking you have no choice but to hand them over.

With respect you are wrong

All things need to come from somwhere.....

S17 pace under warrant.... Etc....

I have more than a little experience of these thjngs

I think the word we are looking for in this situation is "invite". I suspect that the OP as with many others in such circumstances have been invited by the police to lodge their guns with them whilst the matter is reviewed.

You will accept that such an invitation, is one to be complied with !

I think the word we are looking for in this situation is "invite". I suspect that the OP as with many others in such circumstances have been invited by the police to lodge their guns with them whilst the matter is reviewed.

You will accept that such an invitation, is one to be complied with !

Nail on the head Charlie

It sounds fair and reasonable to me. 1 in 3 women killed by their husbands is shot with a weapon that is legally owned with 64% of those weapons used being shotguns. A separation is a known trigger point for domestic violence. Think of it as the price you pay for male privilege. That's presumably served you well all your life. You should get your guns back reasonably quickly.

Why are you quoting figures from Canada :hmm:

http://www.learningtoendabuse.ca/sites/default/files/Coalition%20for%20Gun%20Control.pdf

It sounds fair and reasonable to me. 1 in 3 women killed by their husbands is shot with a weapon that is legally owned with 64% of those weapons used being shotguns. A separation is a known trigger point for domestic violence. Think of it as the price you pay for male privilege. That's presumably served you well all your life. You should get your guns back reasonably quickly.

How many men killed their wives with legally held shotguns, triggered by a separation, in the UK last year?

It sounds complete over-kill to me.

How do you define male privelege?

What rights do men have that women don't have.

Nial.