4 weeks!!!!!!!!

strangford  wildfowler

Cant wait its 4 weeks to the start of the season!!!! Starting to get some gear together now and small bits of training with the dog so when I shoot my first duck or goose the dog doesnt clear off with it.

Also there is loads of very late crops round my way I.e barley wheat and rape ( will wildfowl go to rape stubble?) That will not be cut to the season starts so I am hoping I can get some flight of ducks and hopefully geese on them fingers crossed.

So all I need to do is go down to the clays for a couple rounds to get my eye in.

So is anyone as excited as I am??

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ordered my cartridges this morning.

My gear has slowly been renewed through the off season.

A decent jacket to source then I will be right to go.

I don't rush out in September though, usually give the first couple of weeks a miss!

The next few weekends will consist of long dog walks along the estuary side to see what resident birds there are, nice to see if the eider have had a successful breeding season.

The resident population of quarry will be more than likely shot or shifted on by the time my gun sees the mud though but the tideline changes so its nice to check out what's new before the season is underway.

Edited by AberFowl

I'll be out on the First, other than when I was serving overseas I've not missed one as an adult.

More often than not it's a homecoming with exactly the same number of cartridges as I left the house with, but that's not a big worry.

Going down the Marsh for a reconnoitre on Tuesday, that way I can get my favourite spot all set up ready for the fellow member who gets down there 5 minutes earlier than me, sigh.

You should prepare everything before hand but I enjoy the mad rush the evening before, followed by the wader full of water at 4am; fending off the thousands of mossies because I have forgotten the spray; the first squandered chance because of I am too busy day dreaming of the season to come :); and like 2 years ago the sprint off the marsh to catch my dog being chased by 50 heifers!!!

Always worth trying the gun out the day before though, so if that one chance appears after an early start and a 2 mile walk you can be sure the bang will happen.

Good luck everyone.

Can't wait, Will order some more cartridges this week but have plenty left for the start of the season. Need to buy a new head torch but can't think of anything else. Had a knockabout clay shoot and Bbq yesterday with a few mates and found I can still shoot straight (ish)

Give it a week or two and I will start looking at a few marshes to start the season on the 1st, as long as I avoid the masses on the first and get to enjoy the Marsh waking up I will be happy - a bird will be a bonus.

Can't wait now, time to get the dog pin sharp, well as good as I can and set all my gear out. Get the batteries and chargers out for the Cree lights.

Start getting plenty mozzie rep in, might try the B1 capsules from the health food chains, supposed to stop the bites.

Time to get on the clays with the semi only to gel with it again.

Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

To be out sat with my dog and listening to the wildlife on the marsh, hopefully a few shots too.

Figgy

As usual I am still negotiating with Natural England. Three weeks to go and they haven't answered my licence application registered in June. Happens every year. The man I have to deal with has now gone on holiday 'till 19th August. They treat my little syndicate with utter contempt.

Im lucky enough to have just been accepted into the local wildfowling club, will be my first season, got to get my gear sorted now, have the gun, have a dog( bought it before gun, only 7 month old so won't be doing much this season) got the clothing, need decoys and cartridge now.... Oh ,,,,,, and lots of experience haha

Good luck Smiler and do not forget to add a duck and goose caller to that list.. Where abouts in the country is your club ? Scroll back through past posts and you will find loads of info on catridges , decoys and so on.

Edited by anser2

It hit me big time this weekend, when I agreed to do a stint on a show stand for a club at the beginning part of sept and had a look at the tides for that day. Then I visited Lowther show yesterday met a few guys and bought another old wildfowling book.

Dog seems to know what is afoot, if I walk him near the truck he is all a quiver to jump in. Took the auto out to the car yesterday to size up for a fit out and checked the action clear yet again, on hearing the "clank,clank" a little whimper came from the kennel and this I have never really known.

Wife and kids away in a few days but I am stopping here as i have work to do on the new company but you can bet some of that work might change to break of light and last light scouting trips with the Binos on the estuaries.

Hi anser2, should of mentioned I got grey and pink callers from eddie Nixon, and triple threat duck call. Been looking at decoy reviews on here, was thinking of ghg or sports plast for duck(any opinions on which welcomed) and was going to get some sillosocks for pinks. I'm based up in cumbria and will be joining the Furness wildfowler a, .....can't wait

3 weeks to go and I have found a brilliant flightlines for morning flight ducks bombing through it just need to keep watching it for the next few weeks and find where the other flight line are, and yesterday when pigeon shooting heard the amazing sound of the greylag geese it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time.

Need some more shooting practice though

3 weeks to go and I have found a brilliant flightlines for morning flight ducks bombing through it just need to keep watching it for the next few weeks and find where the other flight line are, and yesterday when pigeon shooting heard the amazing sound of the greylag geese it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time.

Need some more shooting practice though

Well my fellow Celt, I have been doing the same, hope we all have a great season as the weather has been great for breeding birds so should have plenty of birds about for some good sport.

On the other hand I've had plenty of practice on the pigeons, clays but still I'm no better, anyway it's good to get out on the marsh with the dogs.

Smiler I would not go too mad on decoys yet , half a dozen would do for starters and see how much you use them. On some marshes they are very good , but a waste of time on others. Tidepool have some good stuff but all new decoys are a bit pricey ( with the exception of those from pound store ). They are ok , but do not last ( I have had some and they are made in two halfs stuck togeather , they soon become unstuck when stuffed in a game bag a few times and the attachment loops get brittle and snap off in cold weather ). Stick to branded decoys and steer clear of the cheap Chinease ones. Expect to pay at least £5.- 8 per decoy for good ones. You can sometimes pick up a bargin off Ebay second hand. I got 20 sportplast mallard and wigeon decoys off Ebay a few years ago and though they needed a paint job they only cost me £12.

I am just about ready , brought the three cartridges I shall need last week :whistling:

The new dog could do with growing up fast in the next couple of weeks or I am not sure if I dare let him near the marsh

I am confident he will do what he needs to do but he is a **** around other dogs which is my fault for not socializing him enough .

I am going to order a new pair of chest waders this week , I have some neoprene ones but they will be a bit warm for the start of the season and I find that although they do not leak they soak up water like a sponge and take a age to dry out again.

I am just about ready , brought the three cartridges I shall need last week :whistling:

The new dog could do with growing up fast in the next couple of weeks or I am not sure if I dare let him near the marsh

I am confident he will do what he needs to do but he is a **** around other dogs which is my fault for not socializing him enough .

I am going to order a new pair of chest waders this week , I have some neoprene ones but they will be a bit warm for the start of the season and I find that although they do not leak they soak up water like a sponge and take a age to dry out again.

You'll need 5 if you book some Earith tickets :lol:

damn.,. just realised i need waders! i bought ones last year which lasted one trip then bought cabelas ones and cocked up and bought neoprene and sweated my behind off... NO way im going t owear them this early in the year so i need some thinner ones.. off to ebay i think

am looking forward to it as i missed out on most of last season....the spaniel only six and she has been fantastic but she has arthritis so says vet and she well over weight at 27 kilos when she meant to be 20...tried to get it off her but she dont wanna know about exercise,so could be case of leaving her home.....anyway i have done many a retrieve and went for a swim,should be fun :lol: