Well lads..........?

Tony G

Well went out with the brother yesterday. Decided to chance our arm and try a spot with out any prior reconnaissance. Group of mallard flew past us early on and we dropped one each. Mine was winged out on the tide. Too far out to shoot and it would have dived if the dog got anywhere near it. It started to swim back to shore but a seal grabbed it,(there's loads) before it hit the marsh. Shots to our right pushed a couple of small skeins of greylags our way and we managed one out of each. Before we packed up we spotted a sparrow hawk chasing a bird which was impressive to watch.

Afternoon saw a two teal and four mallard added to the bag. Two shots at one group of mallard dropped 3 birds so we stopped shooting the ducks for the rest of the day. We'd both been hoping for a canada as they normally clear off by the 3rd of September. I was lucky enough to have a skein fly right over me and I dropped a goose with the first shot. Second skien came down to the side of the brother and I. We both got a shot at the same tail end bird. Neither one of us are sure who got it but a welcome addition to the bag. A small skein of 4 came in just after this and I managed to call them back around. This have the bro a chance and he dropped his first canada.

All in all a great success. Saw an osprey catch a fish whilst we were out and a peregrine also had a go at a tern,(but he was less successful).

Apologies for the ramble. Pics to follow

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three shots, two mallard. Had a skein of canadas over me for the first time ever on the marsh, didn't take a shot though, they were top end of shotgun limit and I only had steel 3's in, thought it best to leave them be.

Cracking morning out before work, home by 7.30am in work by 8am.

I'm going again tonight for an evening flight, I cannot wait!

Well done all that bagged something, it's all downhill from here! :)

ATB

Rhodri

2 greylag and a greylag x Canada this morning with my new 10b. Added to the 3 Canada that I had yesterday with my first homeloads it adds up to my best and most satisfying start in my entire wildfowling.............so far.

I wish it wasn't such a drag to put photos on here.

Edited by Terry P

Derbyshire lads shine again. we may be a fair distance from the sea but "Harry the cat" has put the "ex- pit" lads in the running again!!...he told me he eased up on the lincoln bandits when the clay shoot was on, and said he was going to wait and beat them at their own game, as anyone could win the clay shoot but it would be more painful for them when, he would outshoot them on the wash with a "sawn off shotgun"..., which he has done!!!!....well done "H"...the cream always rises to the top!!!

Ayup Dale you will never believe this, when we were in sheps carpark in the early hours, ayano3 says to everyone "have you got your cream on?" I thought whats occuring I thought we were going wildfowling!!!

Turns out they put Avon womens cream on their face to prevent bites from mozzies, flippin eck we used to have to put up with hornets down the pit that came out of the pit props !! They are fannies :good:

Be carefull Dale

Regards

Harry

Edited by harrycatcat1

Ayup Dale you will never believe this, when we were in sheps carpark in the early hours, ayano3 says to everyone "have you got your cream on?" I thought whats occuring I thought we were going wildfowling!!!

Turns out they put Avon womens cream on their face to prevent bites from mozzies, flippin eck we used to have to put up with hornets down the pit that came out of the pit props !! They are fannies :good:

Be carefull Dale

Regards

Harry

was just a warning as I know brownie had a week off work because of mozzies bites. However much mozzie guard or skin so soft we put on last night it didn't work. The mozzies won.

myself and a friend managed a mallard each, inland large packs of mallard coming in as we packed up due to masses of mozzies.

great morning, saw some bats flutter past long time since I've seen them on my patch. then a barn owl flew low over my head, gave him a squeak and he came beck for a look. Then greeted by a smashing sun rise, and a rainbow in the opposite direction, just reminds me this is what I love about fowling.

was just a warning as I know brownie had a week off work because of mozzies bites. However much mozzie guard or skin so soft we put on last night it didn't work. The mozzies won.

That Loreal revive you've been using before hitting Ibiza not keep them off then Graham ! ?

Weird looking things, those Grey x Canada hybrids.

2 greylag and a greylag x Canada this morning with my new 10b. Added to the 3 Canada that I had yesterday with my first homeloads it adds up to my best and most satisfying start in my entire wildfowling.............so far.
I wish it wasn't such a drag to put photos on here.