.22lr ammo laws in uk??!?

Thatguy

Hi guys
Ive been thinking about joining a club and eventually shooting on my friends farm with a .22lr. I Keep hearing about you can only buy a certain amount
and hold a certain amount and that it changes between target ammo and hunting ammo. And they also keep a record of how much ammo you buy/use.
Can someone please clarify please
Thanks.

Quite simply, on the application form you must state the maximum amount (number of bullets) of ammo you wish to keep at any one time.

Target shooters are restricted to target ammo. For shooting quarry one is authorised to purchase and hold expanding ammo.

The amounts you will be allowed to keep will depend on personal circumstances but for quarry 750 would be the norm and many more for target

An amount is basically decide by the FAO at interview,the decision is based on intended usage,and other factors.

The amount of ammo is broken into two parts. 1. Amount allowed to own ie total amount. 2.amount allowed to purchase.

The amount allowed to own will be greater than the amount allowed to buy.

Each time you purchase ammo it is entered on your FAC and at time of renewal the amounts are adjusted accordingly.

I'm sure someone with a better explanation will be along shortly

An amount is basically decide by the FAO at interview,the decision is based on intended usage,and other factors.

The amount of ammo is broken into two parts. 1. Amount allowed to own ie total amount. 2.amount allowed to purchase.

The amount allowed to own will be greater than the amount allowed to buy.

Each time you purchase ammo it is entered on your FAC and at time of renewal the amounts are adjusted accordingly.

I'm sure someone with a better explanation will be along shortly

There are new rules Jim and the "newer type" certs dictate what you are allowed to hold not "buy".

Edited by Whitebridges

Hi guys

Ive been thinking about joining a club and eventually shooting on my friends farm with a .22lr. I Keep hearing about you can only buy a certain amount

and hold a certain amount and that it changes between target ammo and hunting ammo. And they also keep a record of how much ammo you buy/use.

Can someone please clarify please

Thanks.

You first need to make sure that the land has been passed by the police for use with .22lr. You can't just shoot there, even if your friend says you can. :no:

Considering that the OP doesn't have any sort of FAC at present, that is a pretty irrelevant statement.

I'd be frankly stunned if a grant on first FAC included open ticket.

Perhaps but not impossible and only a few years ago was the norm, he may permission on 10,000 acres. Fact is he doesn't have an FAC so until he does he won't knowwhat conditions are placed on it.

Back on topic.

OP, I really wouldn't get too hung up on the ammo hold and buy amounts. Due to the fact you have to give good reason to own a S1 firearm, whereas the force have to prove why you shouldn't own a S2 Shotgun, the usage tables are really there to prove you're not buying a rifle and leaving it in the cabinet.

I lost my .270 because I didn't buy any ammo for it and to be honest, it was down as a foxing rifle, which the new FLO found quite interesting.

It's not a means of checking up on you, or trying to restrict how much you can shoot. If you think you'll need 1000 .22LR rounds for your day at the club, then ask for it. Five years down the line, if it's obvious you only buy a brick every month, they might lower your hold amount, but I honestly doubt that.

There is no provision for them to drop your allowance because you are not using the gun very much. A reduction in ammo allowance counts as a partial revocation of the certificate - refuse. If they insist get it in writing and challenge it.

The 'standard' rimfire holding is 600 rounds. what id you only shoot 10 bunnies per year? It shouldn't matter. Many deer stalkers will not get through their whole allocation between renewals.

There is no reason you can't have a .270 as a fox rifle. I know a farmer with a .22CF (can't remember the calibre) who has it for fox, but hasn't shot a fox in about 10 years. The local gamekeepers do a good job, BUT he's a sheep farmer and has the good reason of protecting his lambs. Good reason doesn't have to equal usage, so long as the good reason is real. I personally had a dry spell deerstalking - in about 10 paid stalks over 6 months I never shot a deer.

There is no provision for them to drop your allowance because you are not using the gun very much. A reduction in ammo allowance counts as a partial revocation of the certificate - refuse. If they insist get it in writing and challenge it.

The 'standard' rimfire holding is 600 rounds. what id you only shoot 10 bunnies per year? It shouldn't matter. Many deer stalkers will not get through their whole allocation between renewals.

There is no reason you can't have a .270 as a fox rifle. I know a farmer with a .22CF (can't remember the calibre) who has it for fox, but hasn't shot a fox in about 10 years. The local gamekeepers do a good job, BUT he's a sheep farmer and has the good reason of protecting his lambs. Good reason doesn't have to equal usage, so long as the good reason is real. I personally had a dry spell deerstalking - in about 10 paid stalks over 6 months I never shot a deer.

I only took the .270 because I could. It's a miserable round and not exactly subtle. I'll take the 22-250 over the 270 any day for a foxing round.

IIRC I have a 1000/1500 on mine for the 22LR. Sometimes a good offer comes up on the bricks and knowing the local shops round here, they seem to think ordering a completely different and sometimes exotic crate of .22LRs is something we enjoy trying to overcome. So stocking up is always good.

I just buy locally. For some reloading supplies I'll make a special trip a couple of times a year, but most gun shops will get in particular ammo for you if requested.

Online shopping for ammunition is a waste of time, imo - once you've paid any fees, any savings have been more than wiped out.

is there a particular online shop that's good (I know they have to ship to RFD) Or do u guys just buy the packs of 100 at you local gun store?

Depending on the brand, you can usually buy a 'brick' with 500 rounds in them. I've only ever bought them in 50 packs, but I'm sure the target rounds do come in packs of 100, if anyone would care to correct me!

I don't know what your local RFD is like, but around here they're not too eager to buy rimfire rounds to suit your needs!

is there a particular online shop that's good (I know they have to ship to RFD) Or do u guys just buy the packs of 100 at you local gun store?

American style packaging have eventually migrated here where you buy a singlar box containing 525 loose rounds. Blazer and CCI are two brands which spring to mind who do this,but they are just solids and not expanding.