It's Hard Work this time of Year.

Friday comes around very quickly these days and I was picking up DB as normal with us both not knowing what the outcome of the weekend would bring. We headed straight to some barley drilling which we saw last weekend . It had a number of birds down and a few flighting allong its one edge , so we set up with the twelve thawed birds on spikes. The first bird in came in as if on a zip wire , others were following it in and we managed a double first shot. This shot lifted a good number in the trees around the field but they all moved away. The local dog walker came passed and we asked when it had beem shot and she said four days ago. As she said that we heard a shot at the far end of the field , we are aware of another shooter on this ground but he is a walker not a decoyer and he proceeded the walk the total perimeter of the field taking pot shots at pigeon. We packed up and moved on. We completed a further sixty miles looking but all we could find was birds on hawthorn hedges and pony paddocks. We eventually found some on a low rape field and set up , it was now 15.00 and they were committed to feeding at last , we shot till 18.30 and picked up sixty two pigeons .

Saturday saw us looking at the barley drilling from the day before but it was bare, no birds flighting at all. we continued looking at Rape, clover, peas and drillings but could not find any number of birds. We found a small field of drillings next to a Rape field we had shot earlier in the year and it had about twenty to thirty birds down , we decided to leave it and return later to see if it built up. We continued looking . We popped into the farm who owns the drilling we had seen earlier to be told a lad in a Disco has just asked if he can shot it. So we drove to the field and saw the disco on the edge of the field . We knew the owner so we set off looking . We found some crows on a distant field and decided to go for them as it was getting on . We phoned the farmer and he said it was four fields of oats but we would have to walk as he did not want us to drive the field edges. So we decide to travel light . As it was oats we took no pigeon decoys as we have not shot pigeons on oats in the passed, we had no crow decoys but thought we could shoot a few once we were set up . We started on our long walk and finally got set up for 15.00 it took uas a bout ten minutes to shoot our first decoy and others followed quickly we then had a high pigeon pass over us which was used as a decoy. We had a basic set up on spikes but the more decoys we had the better they presented themselves. We finished at 18.30 and picked up twelve pigeons and seventy crows and jackdaws. Hard work but we enjoyed it in the end we had covered ninety nine miles today.

38beda8f-9737-41b4-b761-25772a6612a7_zps

11778188-8ec8-4003-ab3a-d59c639127d9_zps

That is the second week running that you did not start shooting until 15:00 hrs. I have been awake early for the last few weeks and I have seen pigeons feeding at 05:30 hrs. I am sure that they are spending the middle of the day sitting up in the trees either sleeping or pecking at buds.

I hope that you sent the picture of the corvids to the farmer.

Fair do's you put the miles in to get the results,I hope you have a shell card or a nectar card :)

Nice shooting.

I don't know about a shell card but I believe that he still has a shell suit which he wears to do the housework.

That is the second week running that you did not start shooting until 15:00 hrs. I have been awake early for the last few weeks and I have seen pigeons feeding at 05:30 hrs. I am sure that they are spending the middle of the day sitting up in the trees either sleeping or pecking at buds.

I hope that you sent the picture of the corvids to the farmer.

I don't know about a shell card but I believe that he still has a shell suit which he wears to do the housework.

Have I got a stalker???????? It's a gold one that was going cheap it's got the initials JS on the pocket ?????????

don't you just love it when a so called shooter does that whilst your trying to decoy birds, that rape looks really backwards its 3ft high and in full flower around here

good 2 days pc nice one :good:

Why are they a " so called shooter " if they use a different method for shooting pigeons?

Why are they a " so called shooter " if they use a different method for shooting pigeons?

well walking round the perimeter of a field taking pot shots at pigeons is not the most effective way of shooting them, made even worse if someone is trying to decoy birds in that same field whilst doing it