Another pocket watch resto.

I recently found a Bentima pocket watch of ebay. Bentima were linked with Oris. I found the watch listed at £17 starting bid. I left it till the last min and dropped a bid on it. By jingo I won :o

It arrived on Monday morning whilst I was a work, and Monday evening about 10:20 I started to look it over. I noticed a few visible issues prefty much straight away. The hands were not matching, infact they didn't even belong to that watch. The crystal was missing. In the movement there were 2 screw missing that hold the movement in the case! So I took the bezel off, remkved the stem, and dropped the movement out of the case! It was swimming with oil. Dirty black sticky oil. So I had to completely dismantle the watch. As I seperated the plates and removed the wheels and barrel, I notices the wheel that powers the pinion was OUT of it's mount. I had to re secure this. The screw had came undone after years of use. Then I also noticed the clutch housing was loose too. That again needed re securing.

With all the issies addressed and a clean of the parts I started the assembly process. It took around 40 mins to assemble, with a drop of oil on each pivot point. The most tedious part is lining up the wheels do the plates can be secured together. But after all the work was done I gave it a wind, and away it went. I now put a matching pair of hands on and beed a crystal, but am very happy with it.

Smashing job your Lordship :good:

I used to repair watches as a hobby, Had all the tools including a cleaning/drying machine but had to pack in due to arthritis in my hands, I started dropping the drivers and tweezers in to the movements!! :unhappy:

I still swap cells and replace crystals occasionally but nothing more involved..

NE3.jpg

I've collected watches for 40 years and have a few (Around 2,500 in total!)..

Here's some of them (Much less than half!) ..

Afewwatches.jpg

John :)

I used to repair watches as a hobby, Had all the tools including a cleaning/drying machine but had to pack in due to arthritis in my hands, I started dropping the drivers and tweezers in to the movements!! :unhappy:

I still swap cells and replace crystals occasionally but nothing more involved..

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=cacfaac89268f05ce215c04aef1f50ef&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=315134&p=2853739&md5check=e1b8d3861c147205e5e1a982161c0730&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,7rUSZqvAEc4');//]]></script> NE3.jpg&&0

Afewwatches.jpg

Wow, that is some collection!!

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=2e732e136a948a9b105971c001b076e6&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=315134&p=2853739&md5check=b0f98ca18841d838017cfeff56b9a793&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,_G-t9hqWQwc');//]]></script> NE3.jpg&&0

Afewwatches.jpg

thats some collection , do they all work ?.

well done on your watch lg , it looks very impressive mate :good:

John!

My collection is also on the increase! I now have about 14 pocket watches in differing state of repair, trench watch, Clocks, about 10 wrist watches. Infact just yesterday I took another gander in BHF charity shop and found a nice ladies watch. Thought SWMBO would like it. Ordinarily she is a pain to buy for. But not this time! £3.99 for a watch that looks like it's been worn perhaps once. Lovely mother of pearl dial, 3 gems at the 6,9,12 positions and a date sub dial at the 3. Bezel encrusted with gems too and 2 blue gems at each of the 3,6,9,12 positions. I did a little research on the watch when I got home! Turns out it is an Ingersoll Gems watch. Apparently they were retailed for between £400- £500 when new. It is diamonds and saphires :o

Only needs a battery and I will check the gasket when I remove the case back.

I need some oils and grease now to crack on with another watch I am servicing.

Edited by Lord Geordie

John!

My collection is also on the increase! I now have about 14 pocket watches in differing state of repair, trench watch, Clocks, about 10 wrist watches. Infact just yesterday I took another gander in BHF charity shop and found a nice ladies watch. Thought SWMBO would like it. Ordinarily she is a pain to buy for. But not this time! £3.99 for a watch that looks like it's been worn perhaps once. Lovely mother of pearl dial, 3 gems at the 6,9,12 positions and a date sub dial at the 3. Bezel encrusted with gems too and 2 blue gems at each of the 3,6,9,12 positions. I did a little research on the watch when I got home! Turns out it is an Ingersoll Gems watch. Apparently they were retailed for between £400- £500 when new. It is diamonds and saphires :o

Only needs a battery and I will check the gasket when I remove the case back.

I need some oils and grease now to crack on with another watch I am servicing.

Brilliant!

Well done on buying something that the better half likes!!, My missus has over a hundred watches, Mostly good quality and a few vintage solid gold beauties and her fave is.... A £5 watch from the local market!! :yes::/