Feeding times for pigeons.

JDog

My only thought and twopeneth is they may have been feeding in the woods on the ground eating clover before you observe them up a tree, as with food being scarce they revert back to eating what they would have normally, they are named wood pigeons after all.

I have no OSR in my area whatsoever, so what few birds remain tend to be seen favouring two or three grass fields, close inspection finds these fields are under sown or have a good base of clover, once they have their fill they sit in trees saving energy.

After driving miles and miles today, the only activity I saw was a couple of flocks of 100-200 or so feeding on what could have been sprayed-off barley.

This was the biggest flock I saw all day:

post-20802-0-75722400-1453391020_thumb.jpg

It was up and down all over the field and they didn't go far when I clapped them off. I saw nothing at all on rape but lots of small groups in and around woods plus a few on pasture/clover.

It hadn't been cut as far as I could tell but most of the stems were bent/broken at around around a foot high - but it was too slender to be rape and there were lot of stripped ears scattered around - you can see one side of the field in the picture looks like it was cut but the other was probably left, or sprayed off as the stems looked quite slender. Although I may be completely wrong and it could be something else. There were lots of starlings and finches on it too.

It hadn't been cut as far as I could tell but most of the stems were bent/broken at around around a foot high - but it was too slender to be rape and there were lot of stripped ears scattered around - you can see one side of the field in the picture looks like it was cut but the other was probably left, or sprayed off as the stems looked quite slender. Although I may be completely wrong and it could be something else. There were lots of starlings and finches on it too.

Yep the stuff on the left of your pic looks like standing barley.

Think you might have missed out there but you never know they might be still hitting it hard, I have seen this many times over the years and boy does it pull the pigeons, get yourself down the farm and ask if you can have a go at them, you might just shoot the biggest bag of your life to date.

Good luck

PS if the farmer will not let you shot it, don't go back there because it will brake your heart. :sad1:

It's been frustrating as I tried the nearest farm but couldn't find anyone around. I googled the telephone number but no answer when I was there, but I managed to speak to a neighboring land owner who confirmed who the landowner is - but still no answer just yet. I've a free day tomorrow and a free afternoon on Monday so I haven't given up hope yet!

That field is a winter pigeon shooter's dream.

This year I spotted a lot of birds heading in one direction and by following a footpath, found 5 abandoned fields covered with volunteer wheat from previous years - uncut and covered with pigeons. Enquiries revealed that the land was owned by an animal rescue and recovery centre- "Any chance of me shooting hundreds of birds on your land??"

Didn't bother to ask, just tried to look the other way when driving by.......

Don't know all the chemical compounds in each type but yes you are correct in saying there are two main types of rape.

oilseed rape grown for edible consumption contains less than 2% erucic acid. Oilseed rape cultivated for industrial use still contains high levels of erucic acid (40-60%) Using genetic manipulation the breeders are striving to increase the level of erucic acid to 70-80% to maximise on its industrial potential.

I don't know about this but do know they are trying GM to develop rape which is less palatable to pigeons. It's called HEAT or something like that. Look on farmers forum...

(GM stuff like that should be banned )

I've just managed to speak the the farmer and they were very jolly, pleasant and thanked me for letting them know..............but they already have someone shooting the land.

A phrase that rhymes with clucking bell springs to mind.

Sorry JDog for hijacking your thread but i just had to reply to FN

So! I have land that other people shoot don't give up, is it far from you, if not go down there and lean on the gate, stop there for as long as you can if you are spotted someone might come down to you and ask what you are doing, hopefully the owner, you then brake down in tears at his knees, no only joking, have a chat with him/her.

Failing that i would go down there and see if anyone is shooting it if not go and knock on the door and say hello Mr Farmer my names FalconFN or what ever, I phoned you the other day about shooting some pigeons on the bottom field I know you said you had people shooting your ground but I was just wondering as there is no one shooting the field and I have a few days off work, would sell me a day on the pigeons, give him as much bull poo as you like, I am insured, I have a bit of land I shoot on but its not very good, I promise I will not come again unless you say so or bring other people.

It works I know, but if it doesn't them tell him to f### off and i hope the pigeons eat all your rape next winter, no don't just winding you up.

Give it a go you never know.

Thanks old'un. Funnily enough that is almost exactly how I got my last permission. I can but try, but as this particular field is sandwiched by access land on either side and a busy A-road on another, I'd be surprised if he hasn't had several requests in recent weeks!

Anyhoo getting back on track, apart from the barley I've also seen early morning pigeons on fodder beet during the school run, but they have't been there any other times of the day when I've been past.

I may well go decoying this weekend. It would be the first time since October, I think. I have seen several hundred pigeons feeding on a few rape fields. I would more than likely be having a first light start.

I look forward to your report of a hugely successful outing.

Yep the stuff on the left of your pic looks like standing barley.

Think you might have missed out there but you never know they might be still hitting it hard, I have seen this many times over the years and boy does it pull the pigeons, get yourself down the farm and ask if you can have a go at them, you might just shoot the biggest bag of your life to date.

Good luck

PS if the farmer will not let you shot it, don't go back there because it will brake your heart. :sad1:

Similar happened here two years ago,thousands of pigeons on un harvested wheat and I mean thousands,farmers says don't shoot the field.His thoughts are that while they are there his osr is safe,can't fault his logic but it was soul destroying to watch

Fielddweller

Similar happened here two years ago,thousands of pigeons on un harvested wheat and I mean thousands,farmers says don't shoot the field.His thoughts are that while they are there his osr is safe,can't fault his logic but it was soul destroying to watch

Fielddweller

I have three fields close by just like this. They are unharvested wheat. They are full of pigeons,crows pheasants and a ungodly amount of rats. Two roads either side, dozens of horses in a field at the bottom and three houses surrounding them. Nearly impossible to shoot I would imagine, so I haven't even tried to seek permission. Even if the land owner said yes, negotiating the politics of everything else surrounding it would require the UN. I don't even bother going to look anymore. Soul destroying. FN you need to make a concerted effort to find out who has that field and get in there.

I have three fields close by just like this. They are unharvested wheat. They are full of pigeons,crows pheasants and a ungodly amount of rats. Two roads either side, dozens of horses in a field at the bottom and three houses surrounding them. Nearly impossible to shoot I would imagine, so I haven't even tried to seek permission. Even if the land owner said yes, negotiating the politics of everything else surrounding it would require the UN. I don't even bother going to look anymore. Soul destroying. FN you need to make a concerted effort to find out who has that field and get in there.

He has done that, see the replies from FN.