Monthly Clay Shooting Budget

ruraltownie

As many have said it is all relative. Don't worry about what others shoot as their priorities may well be very different from yours.

Shoot what you can as often as you can and keep it affordable, but most important is make the most of enjoying those times.

Prices differ on where you shoot, but factor in a clay/cartridge combo being around 40p - 50p.

It isn't a cheap sport, but cut your cloth to suit your budget and you still have affordable fun.

I gave up when I was in my late 20's as I didn't think I could afford it. Perhaps in hindsight I could have shot less but.........

Then 2 years ago after a lot of hounding from a fello beater I went along to a small ground & immediately got the bug again, like Sian I now have no mortgage & a grown up family. I now shoot 100 practice on a Thursday & Comps nearly every Saturday & Sunday sometimes locally but quite often away, we're actually away most weekends through May & June then wherever the rest of the time. If I sat & worked out what I spend I'd probably faint !! Just enjoy it & spend what you feel you can afford. :good:

I also been shooting a lot recently, like, 700 one week-end, 250 the other; I'm also lucky not to have to count the pennies, and it's a great way to distract from work so very likely makes more productive the rest of the time (even if not true, it's an excellent excuse, isn't it? ;-)). I also don't go on holidays, don't own a TV, don't care much about my mobile phone etc etc...

That is, I'm still looking to get the cheapest cartridges, as I came to the same conclusion as Sian that it more or less all works anyway; I make the same scores with my wife's cheap CompX 21g as with the fancy 28g so I might even switch to that myself!

As many have said it is all relative. Don't worry about what others shoot as their priorities may well be very different from yours.

Shoot what you can as often as you can and keep it affordable, but most important is make the most of enjoying those times.

Prices differ on where you shoot, but factor in a clay/cartridge combo being around 40p - 50p.

It isn't a cheap sport, but cut your cloth to suit your budget and you still have affordable fun.

I agree it is all relative, I don't set a budget but locally I know I can shoot at a couple of pubs for £5/£6 per 40 bird round, my local club is £26 joining fee plus £11 per 50 bird round fortnightly plus cartridges so I would assume you may be able to find something similar in your area for minimal cost, offering more bang for your buck..

Used to shoot every weekend with the lad but couldn't afford to carry on so joined a local ish Pheasant shoot , believe it or not works out a lot cheaper and you get to work the dog as well as the exercise .

Just do as and wot you enjoy oh and what your budget allows :good:

Used to shoot every weekend with the lad but couldn't afford to carry on so joined a local ish Pheasant shoot , believe it or not works out a lot cheaper and you get to work the dog as well as the exercise .

Just do as and wot you enjoy oh and what your budget allows :good:

He can pay for you now 😂😂😂😂😂

Ohh and it's a cracking dog 😊🤗

About time you got another

All the best

Of

I shoot a lot and consequently my budget is large - I don't want to put the figure here. I am able to spend this now on my favourite pastime as I have got to an age where family has grown, mortgage has gone, steady work etc and I am not someone who spends on clothes and foreign holidays. I have only been shooting four years but the husband has been shooting for 20 odd years and there was a period in our life where he had to give it up for three years due to money issues so now I like it that he can do as he wishes. Even though I can spend without much consideration, I still get up and make sandwiches and put a picnic together and take flasks on our Sunday shoots. I would say do that instead of spending on a bacon sandwich and tea - it all adds up. Don't spend silly money on cartridges - my old man will shoot the cheapest he can find and still does okay. It is a good idea if you have a good club to join as you will then get discount on your shoots. Make the most of what you can afford and hopefully as the family grows, monetary issues become less pressing you will be able to do as much as you like - anyway that is what I wish for you.

This,^^^

Everyone is different mind....

Our little club charges £60 per year membership

£7 per week to shoot 50 birds

Cartridges £4.50 a box (£45/250) so if it's trap week you may use 3-4 boxes

Tea/coffee 50p,

Egg and bacon butty £1.30

14 mile round trip.....

Works out at roughly £20 per week not including membership,

If you shoot as a non member then it's £10 to shoot.....

:shaun:

+1 join a local club if possible.

I shoot clays on average three times a month, as a social event and enjoyment, not a competition person.

If you join a local club and if you are able then try and offer your help in some way like putting the traps out or clearing up after the shoot or ground work or taking rubbish to the tip or when they have a work day etc then you may find you get rewarded with the occasional free shoot or reduced price shoot or free food.

Rb

The Missus and myself are shooting buddies and last year we kept a spreadsheet

12227 miles

£6470.30 on entries, practice clays coaching

19710 shells (all bubget)

£522.50 on hotels

Total costs for year including all motoring costs not just fuel was £15551.80

This figure does not include any food or beverages bought at shoots or during overnight stays.

The total for this year is slightly more at this point in the year

I shoot a lot and consequently my budget is large - I don't want to put the figure here. I am able to spend this now on my favourite pastime as I have got to an age where family has grown, mortgage has gone, steady work etc and I am not someone who spends on clothes and foreign holidays. I have only been shooting four years but the husband has been shooting for 20 odd years and there was a period in our life where he had to give it up for three years due to money issues so now I like it that he can do as he wishes. Even though I can spend without much consideration, I still get up and make sandwiches and put a picnic together and take flasks on our Sunday shoots. I would say do that instead of spending on a bacon sandwich and tea - it all adds up. Don't spend silly money on cartridges - my old man will shoot the cheapest he can find and still does okay. It is a good idea if you have a good club to join as you will then get discount on your shoots. Make the most of what you can afford and hopefully as the family grows, monetary issues become less pressing you will be able to do as much as you like - anyway that is what I wish for you.

Starting to pay off for you, that was a terrific score on Sunday. 91/100 ...Well done that lass.Hope your'e going for the team this year. Do it while you still have the hunger.. from Yer Auntie.

+1 join a local club if possible.

I shoot clays on average three times a month, as a social event and enjoyment, not a competition person.

If you join a local club and if you are able then try and offer your help in some way like putting the traps out or clearing up after the shoot or ground work or taking rubbish to the tip or when they have a work day etc then you may find you get rewarded with the occasional free shoot or reduced price shoot or free food.

Rb

I agree,

If you can't afford it, consider trying to get involved with a small shoot, most like offering workers benefit in kind of this sort !

Rb

If you are on about one of the commercial clubs then they already have paid employees,

If one of the little local clubs (ours) then helping out should be part of being a member and getting a discount or free shoots won't happen,

We have a committee who run the club and a hardcore of members who help out,

We have members who just turn up, shoot and leave, there is nothing you can do about that, I've said before that's the same in every type of club,

Sorry to slightly derail the topic

:shaun:

Starting to pay off for you, that was a terrific score on Sunday. 91/100 ...Well done that lass.Hope your'e going for the team this year. Do it while you still have the hunger.. from Yer Auntie.

Thank you Auntie (actually 90) but it was a good score. I hadn't considered any teams to be honest county or country although by default of being the only lady it appears in Greater London to shoot fitasc I made that team last year. I still blow hot and cold on some days depending on circumstances but I have to say my husband has been the most patient, best coach I could ever have and he has taught me well from the beginning. Still learning of course only been shooting four years so lots more to learn. I love it Auntie would shoot every day if I could.