Here's one for the experts

rogcal

Yesterday evening I got hit on the forehead by a .44 round fired from my black powder pistol which had ricocheted back to the firing point.

The range is 25 metres and the paper target backdrop is rubber curtain with angled steel plate over concrete block wall.

The paper target clearly showed where the round had passed through it and returned back through it a few millimetres to one side.

The rubber curtain is designed to allow rounds to pass through it and fall behind it or hit the steel plate at a very reduced velocity.

The thoughts of my fellow shooters and range officers at the time was that my pistols muzzle velocity was reduced for whatever reason and was insufficient to penetrate the rubber curtain and allowed the ball to "bounce back".

Given that the normal muzzle velocity for a black powder pistol of my type is between 800 and 900 feet per second, I was wondering what velocity was the ball travelling when it struck me.

The fact that I was still standing exactly where I was when I took the shot and the ball struck me on the forehead about 12 inches higher and 4 inches to one side from where the round started its down range journey, utterly amazes me. Its as though the round had followed almost the same trajectory on its return journey as the one it had taken after it left the muzzle.

For those of you wondering what effect it had on my head, well not a lot really apart from a bloody big dent in my forehead and lots and lots of blood in the immediate aftermath. The staff at A&E were great and in fact told me that they'd been clamouring to deal with my case when the heard a "gunshot wound is coming in soon". Their immediate concern was that the ball was still lodged in my skull as the range officers had not been able to find it at the time (they have now) but after a CT scan and good poke around they declared me "lead free".

So if any of you clever guys have any idea what the velocity of the ball was when it hit I would be pleased to know.

p.s. No headaches no pain, no nothing and apart from a split head and a minor bruise, nothing really to show for the events of last night. I put it down t0 all the head butting I did in the 60's when we went Mod hunting at Margate, Brighton, Clacton and "Sarfend". Gave me a bloody thick skull! :lol:

Thanks chaps. Lottery tickets duly purchased. As for photos, didn't think to get my phone out and take pictures of the pool of blood at my feet or the blood on my face, to busy trying to stop the blood pouring out. Good bunch of lads at the range and one in particular who knew his first aid procedures very well and brought calm to the event by acting professionally and with authority. Stopped a few of the members running around like headless chickens!

Oh and someone asked about safety glasses which I was wearing at the time. Most of those at the range plus the officers felt that a ball of that weight at even 100 ft per second would have gone through the lens. I believe that safety glasses when used during shooting are designed to stop small pieces of shrapnel and debris reaching your eyes and any large mass would carry enough energy even at relatively slow velocities to either pass through or push the lens back into the face.

Edited by rogcal

physics says it would be less than the 800-900 initial speed. How much less will depend on the velocity loss over distance (not a great deal considering the weight of the ball and the distance) and the rebound efficiency of the wall. I'd be willing to guess that it was at least a couple hundred fps but that's just a guess. Only way to find out would be to load up a few more cartridges of the same ball and start shooting you in the head at 50 yards until it hurts about the same amount...

rick

It is a bit disconcerting and glad your OK. I had a 357 Magnum round do exactly the same thing but got hit on the arm. 3/16 ply turning targets,TWO!! layers of rubber curtain, a sloping armour steel backstop into an 18 inch deep water bath. Pro built range at Queens Road Police Station, West Midlands back in the early 80s. Got our attention, certainly mine!! Lucky it hit the soft point on my arm through a thick shirt and just left a bruise.

Edited by Walker570

Thank you chaps for your concern over the incident which was thankfully not serious but potentially so.

The club have arranged for one of the members who has a very investigative mind to enquire into what other ranges both club and services have got set up and to initiate whatever changes need making to improve range safety even further. From speaking to this member last night he has already uncovered some interesting facts from other sources (MOD and police range controllers) and will be passing this info back to the range committee for consideration in due course.

As to what have the police done, well I can't answer that because I'm not aware if they were contacted by the club.

If the hospital are required to report all gunshot wounds no matter how the occurred then we shall wait and see if I'm contacted but at this point in time I've heard nothing from plod.