any caravaners out there

viking

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that it a bit special. Around here pitches are between £20 and £30 a night depending on spec of the site.

sounds nice..

i saw one the other day on ebay, it had the seats at the front and the some at the back, that would be ideal for me as id turn the rear seats into a permanent bed with a decent mattress,no idea if that sort of van has a name or not, cant even find it now, or even one like it, and i saw one with a fixed rear bed, the one with the corner cut off, but it had a small full length cupboard either side, id rip them out and have more space for the bed..... im putting some real thought into this now. :good::good:

Doesn't really have a name but when searching you can find this layout quite easily by searching for 5 berth vans.

I would strongly suggest not pulling a caravan apart so many of the panels are interlocked with other things and in some cases are actually part of the structure and add a lot of strength.

Night fees can vary greatly depending on site. We have paid as little as £5 or it can go up to £50 a night in peak season at the large commercial sites.

whats a rough price for camping nowadays, or site fees should i say, im sure they will vary but like i say, i have no clue :good::good:

Depends on where you want to stay and what you want from a site. If you have a look at the AA they have a star rating system similar to hotels where depending on how many boxes are ticked by their inspector gives you a star rating. If I was going camping or caravaning I would have a look at www.ukcampsites.co.uk on here other campers leave reviews about sites, there are a few websites like this but this one seems the most used. You can look at trip advisor but I would take it not very seriously as it is much abused by board people, for example we have had a review on trip advisor for someone who staying in February and they complained our pool was no open. 1. We don't have a pool, 2. We close end of September and reopen at Easter. We get about 6 - 10 reviews a season that have nothing to do with us and it takes a while to get them removed.

Prices can be so different and at first appearance one site that looks cheap may have a few add one. We don't charge for dogs as we feel they don't use the facilities, one site not far from us charges £5 per dog per night. Another site charges you separately for you car!!! How you are meant to get the caravan there without one is beyond me, we also include the awning again many sites charge £2 or £3 per night if you want your a awning up. We charge off peak £19 per night this includes 2 adults and a hook up. Peak next season £35 per night incuding hook up. Children are extra, under 6 are free of charge.

Most sites have websites so an hour having a look on ukcampsite or similar can get you loads of info and prices.

Hi Viking

I have enjoyed reading about your rebuild i have recently bought a 1985 110 and working my way through a list of jobs to get it right, i see that one post on this thread says its illegal to tow a caravan over 7mtrs with a disco, well thats news to me as i have been towing a swift conqueror 630 lux with a variety of vehicles first an l200 then an x-trail then a disco. the Swift Conqueror has a fixed bed seperate shower and toilet twin axle and tows really well, we have a motor mover on ours which makes it easy to position on site, we also have fitted aircon

which is a must if you are heading abroad, you could buy a very nice one for the money you are considering spending, Very well done on the rebuild i look forward to seeing it finished.

Regards Geoff

Hi Viking

I have enjoyed reading about your rebuild i have recently bought a 1985 110 and working my way through a list of jobs to get it right, i see that one post on this thread says its illegal to tow a caravan over 7mtrs with a disco, well thats news to me as i have been towing a swift conqueror 630 lux with a variety of vehicles first an l200 then an x-trail then a disco. the Swift Conqueror has a fixed bed seperate shower and toilet twin axle and tows really well, we have a motor mover on ours which makes it easy to position on site, we also have fitted aircon

which is a must if you are heading abroad, you could buy a very nice one for the money you are considering spending, Very well done on the rebuild i look forward to seeing it finished.

Regards Geoff

cheers geoff, :good::good:

sounds nice..

i saw one the other day on ebay, it had the seats at the front and the some at the back, that would be ideal for me as id turn the rear seats into a permanent bed with a decent mattress,no idea if that sort of van has a name or not, cant even find it now, or even one like it, and i saw one with a fixed rear bed, the one with the corner cut off, but it had a small full length cupboard either side, id rip them out and have more space for the bed..... im putting some real thought into this now. :good::good:

there called double dinette I had one done the same you said put one end down and bought a the mattress of the spare bed on it and left it made up .our current van as a fixed island bed.be a little careful the back one can be a little small and won't take a full size mattress Edited by postie

there called double dinette I had one done the same you said put one end down and bought a the mattress of the spare bed on it and left it made up .our current van as a fixed island bed.be a little careful the back one can be a little small and won't take a full size mattress

thats the one postie :good::good: thats just what i wanted, permanently fixed bed with a decent mattress that doesnt need to be made and un made every day :good::good:

Never been a fan of fixed beds I must admit - we find that we need all the space we can get in our 5 berth. The 2 bench seats in the front become 2 beds simply by removing the back rest - 5 seconds work or to convert to a double takes less than a minute. We don't, however, make proper beds we simply open out a sleeping bag.

id never buy one from a dealer, id just use them for a good nose about and see what suits my needs, obviously dont want to spend more than i have to, as long as its rite and clean it will do form my first one, i have to get one now anyway as i mentioned it to er in doors and she was well excited, and one way or another any caravan i bought would be getting a proper before check over before any money changed hands :good::good: and a very kind offer to lend me your book, thanks. but its probably best i buy my own that way its always there for me.

is it any of these you have?

thanks..

A local contact...

A chap called Paul Karran is based at Otley Sailing Club and is a mobile Caravan engineer of many years with a superb reputation.

Never been a fan of fixed beds I must admit - we find that we need all the space we can get in our 5 berth. The 2 bench seats in the front become 2 beds simply by removing the back rest - 5 seconds work or to convert to a double takes less than a minute. We don't, however, make proper beds we simply open out a sleeping bag.

i see what your saying, i guess until iv been to see some i wont really know what im after, as it happens were off for a look about tomorrow to try get some idea of what would suit us :good::good:

A local contact...

A chap called Paul Karran is based at Otley Sailing Club and is a mobile Caravan engineer of many years with a superb reputation.

cheers Keg, thats literary 2 mile away :good::good:

well iv been out all day looking at caravans, and decided of a 2 berth as the bed sorts out in seconds, and the toilet and shower are a good size, if i was buying today the one i would of bought was a bailey unicorn 1. seville, overall length was 21.3 foot, inside was 16.1 and width was 7.6, only thing is it was at a dealers, a 2011 and was priced at £12,000. but it was nice and i and er in doors were very pleased with it :good::good: