Well, we appear to have gone full circle on powder availability.

A while ago Flyboy and I started using Ramshot powders for my .222, and his .223 due to previous supplies of other makes becoming frustratingly difficult to obtain?

Now the same has happened to Ramshot so the quest starts again?

Western powders imply no supply problem but that is not our experience from our local retailers?

Looking now to Vhit as seemingly no problems there?

Anyone in the trade willing to reveal the supply problem?

Some dealers have said its minimum order quantities coupled with delivery costs.

Can see their point, they don't want to fork out for a load of powder which works out expensive and hope that it sells.

I think the way to do it is either buy a decent quantity at a time, or swallow the carriage charge (£45 for powder I believe)

To cover all types of reloading how many powders would andealer need to stock? Let's say 2 brands, 2 shotgun powders each and 3 rifle powders? That's 10, then you'd expect them to keep 2 or 3 of each, your then at 20 or 30 tubs.

Average cost to them £25 ish, that's £500-£750 sitting on the shelf selling slowly.

I'm helping a bit at my local rfd as he's a bit quiet and needs a hand with bits, I've spoken to other local rfd's and we may be having a bit of a buying coalition to buy in bulk, reduce the carriage charges and all hopefully sell at sensible prices. If the rfd can reduce the cost to the customer that's a good thing!!

Old man is right posting about the lack of Ramshot powders, I have tried to source around the south west and south midlands to no avail.

Montana in the States haven't even bothered to reply to my latest email (within the last week).

One supplier informed me that he has a massive back order for his customers for the TAC powder which is great for the 308 and 223, so I dont think its down to minimum ordering.

Sportsman, one of the largest retail outlets, has nothing and don`t know when any more will come in!

Seriously thinking of going to Vit 140 for the above calibres and it will also load some of the lighter bullets in the 243. Just a dog having to work up loads again.

No I haven't, I do know about them, but again, I dont know any one stocking them this way.

I have just come off the phone to Newavon arms in Pill nr Bristol and they have loads of Vit, so may have a drive out and collect this weekend.

They have a list of suppliers on their website. It is said, I don't know how true it is, that the importer drives down to collect it so supplies are never going to be a problem.

Old man has a shooting college who uses Swiss in his 308 and he apparently has difficulties with regular supply.

I don`t know if the importer does drive to Europe to collect the powder in bulk, but it`s the redistribution in this country which is (in my opinion) the real problem, with the restricted carriage by the licensed carriers.

Guess we just have to get a bulk buy when our "go to" powders become available.

I use viht and Swiss. both from HPS-tr never had a problem with supply in all the years i have been using. the plus side, apart from Matt is a good guy to chat with, is that his price is a little cheaper than anywhere else. up road so no travailing the 3 hour round trip i use to do.

N135 in the .222 and the .223 with 40-45-50gn sbk, 40-53 V-max and 52amax. they all shoot silly little groups to a point you pray for wind to make it more interesting

RS62 for the 65se and creedmoor with 130tmk, 140 smk, 140 eld-m again shoots better than i do

No I haven't, I do know about them, but again, I dont know any one stocking them this way.

I have just come off the phone to Newavon arms in Pill nr Bristol and they have loads of Vit, so may have a drive out and collect this weekend.

Have you tried Dauntsey Guns, they may be closer than Newavon arms, easy to find, and very helpful too.

Never had a problem getting powders from them.

Good Luck.

Cheers

Jamiw

Collected a kilo of Vit 133 yesterday from Newavon arms as they normally hold it as a stock Item, will divvy up with Old-man this weekend when I travel to Catton Park for their first shoot of the season.

Dauntsey guns are helpful but they are an hours drive for me whereas Newavon arms are about 20 mins.

As a heads up HPS are advertising Murom small rifle primers for £19.00 a thousand, sounds like a great bargain for assembling plinking ammo, though I am sure that this Company is not in the business of selling substandard primers, or any thing else, as it has a great reputation to maintain.

Thanks for all the helpful advise from all who replied to this topic.

Regards.

Went shooting at Catton Park yesterday with Oldman and generally chatted to reloading colleagues. No one knew of any one who had been able to get any Ramshot powders for quite some time. Chaps who had set up to use TAC powders were particularly miffed, having to go back to previously used powders where their bullet types were still available.

1st results using Vit 135 look promising.

who gave you those figures please advise as i have about 18 ton of verious powders in storeage cheers george

Hi George :) Did you get any more rifle powders in? I know you said you were talking to PBC.

I've just had to shell out for 14Kg of Viht N150, not as cheap as your S062 and D073.5 were but a lot less than anywhere I could get it round here!.