Electronic ear defenders

tim123

i can't highly recommend enough the Howard Leight Impact.

they are far thinner (so don't knock on your shotgun/rifle) than the deben and work a real treat - i can hear a dormouse **** at 100 paces, yet you can fire an unmoderated .270 next to your head without blinking.

Edited by nickbeardo

A mate of mine has the Army issue Peltor, I can't remember the model, and they are the best I have ever tried. With very little, if any, wind noise from the microphones.

I could not justify the expense of those so I bought a pair of Sordin Supreme Pro-X, which are the second best I have ever tried. I worked on the principle that i only get one pair of ears so i better look after them. I haggled with the importer, because i checked the prices on the web, and got a very good deal. I do not regret buying them.

ft

The only issue I have with the army issue Peltors (I own two pairs, one I bought, one I got issued) is that they are so good at blocking out noise, you can't really hear the DS talking when you are out on a range. You have to trust that he is going to shout at you (which is a good bet) or you need to be a dab hand at kip reading.

Nick, the pair of those defenders you have... The advert I saw for them said something about them being MP3 compatible. Can you plug an iPod into them for when you need soothing muzak out on the range?

There is also the peltor tactical sports, the american version of the sport-tac. I bought some brand new from the dreaded bay for £50, so look around.

Wasn't someone selling some electronic defenders in the classifieds for £40, or it might have been on airgunbbs.

The only issue I have with the army issue Peltors (I own two pairs, one I bought, one I got issued) is that they are so good at blocking out noise, you can't really hear the DS talking when you are out on a range. You have to trust that he is going to shout at you (which is a good bet) or you need to be a dab hand at kip reading.

Nick, the pair of those defenders you have... The advert I saw for them said something about them being MP3 compatible. Can you plug an iPod into them for when you need soothing muzak out on the range?

yeah they have a headphone in jack so you can plug your phone/mp3 etc. into them - works a treat.

also the mics are flush with the sides, and wind baffled, so you don't suffer from wind noise on them at all.

I've got the Howard Leight Impacts, and I find the ear muffs a bit long so they come down too far on my face, with the consequent knock of stock against them.

The problem is very slight, in fact depending on which cap I wear it pulls them up just enough, so I should get a strip of foam of something and tape that into the headband.

http://www.ukshootwarehouse.com/shop/SHOOT...Protection.html

I got the Deben ones above from UK Shoot Warehouse. They're rather good. The sound quality is very good, I get good directional sound and the stock does not knock. They feel quite robust but are not too heavy. I was told they have the same electronics as the more expensive Debens. So far so good...

here ya go, good price...

fleabay link

got mine from Cabelas in the states

Nick are those good for assessing the direction from which noise is coming?

I had some peltor sportacs last year but I got drunk and gave them away - a long story.

Anyhows, I now need some more and want something cheap and that will pick up noise from the direction which my face is pointing. Anyideas? Also the sub £50 price tag would be magic, especially if I get drunk and give them away again.

Cheers all.