wildcats

Anything worth building has already been built. I've always fancied a rifle chambered for the 7.82mm Lazzeroni Patriot, on the grounds that it's about the most punch that can be packed in a short action (think 2,000ft/lb at 400 yards with 130gr). It would give a fox a heck of a knock.

Yes Fister but first you have to buy the rifle. Many of the American "wildcat" calibres are only available on rifles to special order.True out and out wildcats need a rifle made specially to the calibre. Like I said, thats not cheap. No reloading data available either and you will probably have to get the cases specially made for you as well. Its not for the ordinary shooter,

Edited by Vince Green

True out and out wildcats need a rifle made specially to the calibre. Like I said, thats not cheap. No reloading data available either and you will probably have to get the cases specially made for you as well. Its not for the ordinary shooter,

But that's the fun about running a wildcat.

I run a '6.5Nemasis' built up from Rem700 short action, border cut barrel, jewel trigger, Wild Dog stock,

pushes a 6.5mm 123gn Scenar at 3000fps, from 38gns N150 out of a modified 22.250 case,

is superbly accurate out to 600 yards (Thats as far as I've tested her so far...)

and the best bit......no one else in the whole world has a rifle like it!!!!

njc,

the yanks already have the 6.5-06, there is even data for it in the hornady manual. lol

vince, why do you have to buy a rifle?

The true American definition of a wildcat is a one off custom special designed and built by you or made for you as a one off. A personal calibre that only you have. Something completely off the wall and some American wildcats are certainly off the wall. Some are totally weird.

Its usually associated with having some extra feature thats not availble in an off the shelf rifle/calibre combiniation. In the past that almost always meant higher velocity by necking down another calibre but you would have to search hard these days to find anything that hasn't already been done.

Lots of rich /mad Yanks have been doing it since the 60s but mostly it has been little more than an exercise in vanity and they are sometimes referred to as vanity calibres.

If you do find something original to design you can then call it the .xxx Fister. If you are lucky and it gets accepted and goes into production then technically it ceases to be a wildcat in the true sense of the word. Many mainstream calibres today like the .243 started life as wildcats that got accepted.

So if you want to design something totally unique you will need to get somebody to build you a rifle to fire it in because unlike the Americans very few of us have the ability to build or adapt out own rifles.

Thats why I said you will need to buy a rifle.

Edited by Vince Green

The true American definition of a wildcat is a one off custom special designed and built by you or made for you as a one off. A personal calibre that only you have. Something completely off the wall and some American wildcats are certainly off the wall. Some are totally weird.

Its usually associated with having some extra feature thats not availble in an off the shelf rifle/calibre combiniation. In the past that almost always meant higher velocity by necking down another calibre but you would have to search hard these days to find anything that hasn't already been done.

Lots of rich /mad Yanks have been doing it since the 60s but mostly it has been little more than an exercise in vanity and they are sometimes referred to as vanity calibres.

If you do find something original to design you can then call it the .xxx Fister. If you are lucky and it gets accepted and goes into production then technically it ceases to be a wildcat in the true sense of the word. Many mainstream calibres today like the .243 started life as wildcats that got accepted.

So if you want to design something totally unique you will need to get somebody to build you a rifle to fire it in because unlike the Americans very few of us have the ability to build or adapt out own rifles.

Thats why I said you will need to buy a rifle.

30 017 the fister fireball lol

fister,

In that case, have a look at the CZ 527 in a 221 FB. I bought one here in April and gave it to my dad as a birthday gift. Sweet little walkabout gun. 16 grains of powder gets you to 3600 fps with a 40 gr BT (19" barrel). That's over 450 rounds per pound. Or, bump it down to 20 cal and for the same charge hit 3800 with a 32 gr. The CZ was a nice little light weight gun, perfect for walking around (which is what my dad wanted). Plenty enough accuracy.

Thanks,

Rick

Now you can insult me all you like and even slag off my mum but NEVER associate me with anything .17 calibre. OR ELSE lol :sick:

And what's wrong with a .17 exactly? I've just started the ball rolling to get myself a .17 Ackley Hornet, and it sounds very nice too!

And to think, I used to like you and value your opinion! There's nothing I could say about your mum that would hurt you as much as the above statement has hurt me! :hmm:???

My gunsmith friend builds custom varmint rifles and is a 'wildcat' man he was probably responsible for the introduction of the 22-250 to the UK years ago.

He has progressed this now to 22-4000 and just finished building a .20 calibre varmint rifle for a customer, floating barrel and a real cracking gun.

22-338 now there a thought

It has been tried off .300 Weatherbys (similar capacity) but they push the poor little blighters too fast. If running lath turned bullets you could get around the bullet failure issue, but their B.C. would be too low to maximise on the potential.

Look into Kirby Allens 7mm-338LM if your looking for a bit of fun and don't mind the barrel wear.

Edited by Tiff-TRG

• 3 months later...

Bit of an old thread but its quiet on here, so why not.

If I was to design a new calibre, lets say .270 win necked down to .20 cal, how would I go about telling pc plod and getting variation for the 20-270 Sam on my FAC?

I have always wondered this and found the right place to ask.

Would I have to notify the police that I am designing my own 'wildcat' cartridge, or would it just be a case of getting .270 and .20 on my FAC.

Regards,

Sam :lol:

Sorry inthedark, but I don't know what that means, because I can't see avatars on my phone. I'll look on the computer later

I was talking hypothetically, I'm not going to make my own calibre, I just wanted to know how, if I was going to? :lol:

EDIT: Just seen dangerzones avatar on the computer, and I now understand :oops:

Edited by SSS