This years sloes

henry d

I have just spent another hour in the countryside as I had spotted some trees, that appeared to be damsons, and were heavily laden with fruit. I know it would be late for Damsons but the trees were up to 20ft tall and the fruit size is about the size of your thumb end.

Anyhoo I tried one of them when I turned up and immediately my cheeks puckered in and all moisture in my mouth seemed to dry up.............. mmmm sloes then ! :rolleyes:

I picked away at them and ended up with just over a gallon and still it looks as if no-one has picked there.

Incidently I also got a fruit picker from Lidl`s a while back and as some trees had fruit hanging in bunches this tool was the easiest way to gather it and well worth the money I paid, less than a fiver IIRC.

So how goes it around the country ?

Pretty good in Norfolk and Suffolk henryd, but not the best ever. The last couple of years have been pants, so it was good to see them back. I picked some very nice wild bullaces as well as the sloes. The main crop finished the best part of three weeks ago i'd say.

Edited by Whitebridges

More than last year that is for sure, but I picked some from a new plantation which were quite small - just loads of them and at the perfect height!

So being a bit lazy I just grabbed 2 kilo's of those.

I am not sure how different sized berries taste, I guess I will find out this time next year.

What's this fruit picker look like?

Sounds interesting if I see a cheap one I'll give it a go next year :blink:

Had a taste of my gin the other day and I think it needs a few more weeks but coming on well. Don't really know what it's supposed to taste like to be honest :lol:

Drag it along the branch and it "combs" the fruit into the bag :good:

Strange year for some fruit though, sloes, blackberries, damsons, great but most people complained that they had a bad year for apples, our trees were full. If we have a similar crop next year i fancy having a go at making some cider. Anybody got any advice?

Chin Chin

Aled

Brilliant year in Northumberland. They are hanging like bunches of grapes!!

Got 7 1/2 l of Sloe gin on the go and 1 1/5 l of sloe vodka.

Made my mix quite strong - 1 1/2 l of spirit to 2 1/4 lb of sloes. Might need to water it down a bit with more Gin!!! All looking good so far though!!

cheers

stu

Picked myself another 5lb yesterday whilst walking the dogs,

Just made a berrie picker for them hard to reach sloes from some rectangular pvc ducting that came with a cooker hood,

cut several slots in one end to make fingers,

fasten a bag to the other end & simply comb the berries from the bush,

they should fall down the ducting & into the bag or at least thats the idea will have to go try it out later.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my batch made up and taking colour nicely already. Made a small batch of damson vodka this year too. Excellent year for them, as has been said - some branches were drooping under the weight!

When you've finished dunking them in gin/vodka. Put them in cider and make sloe cider.

Love that idea, Whitebridges. I take it that you put them in traditional scrumpy? rather than the modern day fizzy ****? Do you add any sugar? or do you find there's sufficient sugar in the cider to cope?

Thanks,

Snipe.