Wood burning stoves

poppythedog

the machine mart ones are pretty cheap to put in your front room and probably more suited to a shed etc, I've a 16kw Hunter in my front room and I think it was about £650 a few years back then about another £350 for all the flue bits and bobs, picked up a bargain 4kw hunter for my last house on that auction site just make sure you buy a new stove of a reputable brand and its fine

The cheap stoves (Machine Mart, Evilbay etc) are made in Chine down to a price. They are really, really poor quality. If they even fit together properly, you will need to seal all the joints with heat proof mastic (available at stove dealers). Try putting a plumbers smoke bomb in one, and see how leaky they are!! I would strongly advise you to look for a second hand one of good quality, such as a Jotul. They are very expensive new, but if you look hard enough and are quick enough you can find them second hand at good prices.

We have not long had a Hunter 8 multi fuel with boiler, it does the water and 4 radiators, The total price i think including 6" Stainless Steel Flu + filler for the chimney plus fitting cost us aroud £1500. well worth it, our gas bill is now less than £10 a month, thats for a gas hob and gas fire,

£1500 is way too much look on google.

We fitted a Olymberyl stove 2 years ago , yes its Chinese but not poor quality and certainly doesnt leak as said above

there is a European standard so make sure whatever you buy conforms and you shouldnt have any problems.

34m2 without high ceilings it would be fine but if used to supplement heating you might be able to get away with the 4kw one with the perk that as far as building regs are concerned you don't need an external vent, also the smaller stoves will also use less wood so depends how much of an issue it is. i know I certainly munch my way through a lot but it is in a big room with a high ceiling. other things to watch are to try not to get it too far back in the fireplace etc as that affects heat transmission in quite a big way

Does anyone know much about wood burners? Are the cheepo ones on that auction site a load of poo? We need approx 6kw & the local showrooms are trying to charge us £1500 just for the stove :good: Is that the going rate, I thought the stove would be more like £500?

Mole valley farmers are the cheapest...Check there web site....

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/pl3_HOME_STOVE_ST-MFUEL.htm

We have a Hunter Herald 8 multi fuel stove , with a 7-11 KW output, it cost us £525 about 6 years ago.

It does seem that they are getting cheaper, not more expensive.

I think you may be surprised. I have the exact same stove, and so did my friend, both cost about the same as yours, and both 6 or 7 years ago. My friend moved house and wanted one for the new house and was quoted £900 for the same stove! Had to buy the one from machine mart, which IMHO is pony! bad airseal round the doors, meaning no control over the fire and paint just burns off when it gets moderately warm, which defeats the object somewhat. Mind you I REALLY rate the Hunter Herald

Hi I have just got one from here Village flatmate stove for about £460 plus you get a free reg plate etc with it. Very good was here in about 4 days. I also bought my flue liner and bits and pieces online from here again was here in about 4 days and was much better priced than anywhere else I could find. The delivery man must have damaged the flue liner when delivering it and although I had signed for it the company send a new length free of charge which got here on the monday after ringing on the friday.

Dan

£1500 is way too much look on google.

We fitted a Olymberyl stove 2 years ago , yes its Chinese but not poor quality and certainly doesnt leak as said above

there is a European standard so make sure whatever you buy conforms and you shouldnt have any problems.

The price i quoted was for fitting aswell which included radiators and all materials which i didnt think was expensive.

The price i quoted was for fitting aswell which included radiators and all materials which i didnt think was expensive.

Have you read the original post? :yes:

the local showrooms are trying to charge us £1500 just for the stove

Edited by sbald

I was lucky enough to buy a secondhand Aarrow off a friend for £150 and fitted it myself.

I just use it to heat the front room and provide some secondary heating from Nov to Mar.

If you are handy at DIY you should be able to fit it yourself, get a look at as many in situ as you can to see the different ways of installation.